HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for?
Brian Bowman 57 95.00%
Jenny Motkaluk 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Is Jenny also going to build a wall between Transcona and the rest of Winnipeg and make Transconians pay for it?
She's going to build a large barrier between Winnipeg and the north end - wait a minute, we already have that.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:27 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
P+M is inconsequential in comparison to some of the other city issues. Infrastructure and crime are always going to be the hot button topics. Bowman's funding for police services could well be his undoing given all the media that's surfacing around our jump in violent crime rates. Mayoral candidates are sure to attack him for that. Aside from fixing the existing infrastructure for the entrances to Winnipeg square, P+M is hardly on my radar. I don't like Bowman, but I'm not entirely convinced there is someone competent to replace him either.
Definitely. I wasn't suggesting that's the main electoral issue, but that it's the one that got Jenny her initial surge of attention.

Also, go Shakhtar!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Winnipeg political culture is very very conservative (in temperament, not ideology), which means it takes either reckless incompetence or a long time (multiple terms) before voters reach for the 'throw the bums out' button. This is very good for Bowman. The only people who actively dislike him are the increasingly aging, thinning, and cantankerous ranks of CJOB listeners, and old cabal of developers who hate development fees. While the latter group has deep pockets, keep in mind they threw themselves behind Gord Steeves' mayoral campaign last time around.

Bowman's two main critics on Council, who've both enjoyed a very high profile city-wide, were smart enough to see this.

I would be surprised if Motkaluk garners more than 20% of the vote.

The Council races will be interesting to watch (especially in Fort Rouge, where a former SSP forumer is running).
Former?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Former?
Haha, I guess no one ever really retires from this forum.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Definitely. I wasn't suggesting that's the main electoral issue, but that it's the one that got Jenny her initial surge of attention.

Also, go Shakhtar!
Which is why from a personal political perspective, it was smart of Bowman to agree to the plebiscite. She has nothing to stand on now.

I will say though i think for Bowman it was a short-sighted move, as no matter what results from the plebiscite, he will have to deal with a shitstorm.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
I see Bowman taking 55% of the vote, Motkaluk taking 25-30%, the rest picking up a couple percent each.
Don Woodstock won't get half a percentage point. I predict 70 votes. That may be a little high.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:34 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

All of them are bad, but because Jenny is lacking vision of just about everything, I'm going with Bowman on this one.

No candidate in this election campaign (or lack there-of) has stood out for me.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:

The Council races will be interesting to watch (especially in Fort Rouge, where a former SSP forumer is running).
Who?

...I wish i can come back to Winnipeg.

Last edited by Jets4Life; Aug 16, 2018 at 8:41 AM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 8:21 PM

Two thoughts:

1) Ill choose the devil I know (Bowman)

2) The P&M thing is such a stupid debate, Ill vote for Bowman on that basis alone

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 1:44 AM

Jenny Motkaluk's press secretary quit.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 3:33 PM

Always a bad sign. Her team is filled with federal and provincial conservative operatives so it didn't take long for another to step in.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 4:04 PM

I'm still pissed at Bowman over the P&M thing but there is not one legitimate challenger that has stepped up. I need someone to lodge my protest vote with, and it won't be Motkaluk since she'd be even worse than the incumbent. I guess I'll have to vote for one of the random unknowns on the ballot unless someone credible enters the race.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 4:21 PM

Here's his resignation tweet. The replies to it are gold.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 5:16 PM

2014's election results.
  • Brian BOWMAN 111,504
  • Judy WASYLYCIA-LEIS 58,440
  • Robert-Falcon OUELLETTE 36,823
  • Gord STEEVES 21,080
  • David SANDERS 3,718
  • Paula HAVIXBECK 2,083
  • Michel FILLION 898

Now imagine if there was no JWL or RFO, and Bowman was the incumbent who hadn't done much to make people angry. That's what 2018 is going to look like.

Even if Gord Steeves' campaign didn't have the controversy it did, I don't think he would have come much closer. Winnipeg did not have an appetite for a fusion of angry Winnipeg Sun populism and intellectually bankrupt "Gang of 18" cronyism. It doesn't now, and Motkaluk's campaign is basically Gord Steeves', right up the smallest detail of having the same press secretary leave around this time of year.

What I'm a little surprised at is that there's apparently no NDP/public sector union candidate for mayor. This has to be the first time this has happened in... the past 100 years?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:
What I'm a little surprised at is that there's apparently no NDP/public sector union candidate for mayor. This has to be the first time this has happened in... the past 100 years?
I'm a little surprised by that given RFO proved you can enter a mayoral election as a no-name and use a strong but ultimately losing performance as a springboard in a future election.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 5:36 PM

My theory is that no good candidates have stepped up to run for mayor because the council races are going to shake things up a lot. This is the first time in a while where there has been this much guaranteed turnover. Rather than trying to beat an incumbent mayor (which is near impossible in Winnipeg), may as well try to win a council seat instead.

The other 3 interesting wards are with Brian Mayes, Janice Lukes, and Matt Allard. I think all three are strong councillors, but it's pretty crazy to see them running unopposed.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 6:07 PM

^ I am not that keen on Mayes. He plays to the NIMBY crowd too much for my liking, a bit like Orlikow. But on the other hand, I'm not sure that St. Vital would go for someone more progressive than he is.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I am not that keen on Mayes. He plays to the NIMBY crowd too much for my liking, a bit like Orlikow. But on the other hand, I'm not sure that St. Vital would go for someone more progressive than he is.
I agree in both cases. Like you said, I think it's the best we can do. The alternative to Orlikow is Steek, and I'd argue that Steek is far less of an urbanist than Orlikow.

Mayes is a pretty old-school NDPer, and the chances of someone more progressive than him getting elected are slim-to-none. It's a problem when party politics get involved in municipal elections, rather than letting people's own views stand out.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Here's his resignation tweet. The replies to it are gold.
Hilarious.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 9:36 PM

Does anyone have any insight about the Fort Rouge ward election? Huge list of candidates. Don't know who (if anyone) is considered to be a front-runner. Really hoping not Stephanie Meilleur as I'm pretty unimpressed with the job she's done with the BIZ.

Fort Rouge - East Fort Garry
Koroma, Peter
Wolbert, Harry
Rollins, Sherri
Thompson, Michael
Meilleur, Stephanie
Spina, Bryanna
Palmer, Jeff
Langen, Geof

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan