HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 4:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

[Moncton] Hyatt Place Hotel | ~18M | 4 Floors | Under Construction

Construction is imminent. All the construction trailers from the events centre next door have been removed. Trees along Main Street have been cut down. The tower crane formerly at FiveFive Queen now lies in pieces on the Hyatt construction site. They may use this in construction of the new hotel (not yet certain).

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 6:19 PM

Be nice to see a before construction Picture to start off if someone is going by.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 8:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I was going to take one myself, but found this one on the Retail Talk & Share Facebook page which does the topic justice.

In the foreground you can see the recently cut down trees. In the background you can see the pieces of the tower crane on the ground.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 9:20 PM

As much as I wish this development was 6-8 floors there is something positive about the lower height. Theres a few vantage points in the city that you can see the top of the events centre (more importantly the changing lights) and you would lose some of these vantage points if this was a 6+ floor development. For example walking up downing street.

I would not have complained if this was a taller development but thought It was worth mentioning.

If they plan on doing any type of syncing of the lights between the 2 areas they could create a cool effect.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 12:51 PM

Thumbs down

Did they really need to cut down those large mature trees? I don't think it was necessary.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Did they really need to cut down those large mature trees? I don't think it was necessary.
This is what the city posted on FB

"If you have noticed a few trees being removed along a small portion of Main Street, we want to provide clarification. The trees were located on private property in an area set to be redeveloped as part of the revitalization of our downtown. Once the construction of the new building is complete, new sidewalks will be installed and new trees will be planted in this section of Main Street. The new trees will be on City property and will match the current landscape in our downtown."

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 2:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Unfortunately the trees had to go. The new hotel will extend right to the property line along the sidewalk, and there will be some retail frontage along the Main Street side of the hotel.(AFAIK).

I am saddened as much as anyone else that the trees had to be sacrificed, but in this case I think it is for the greater good, especially since the city intends to replace the trees when they rebuild the sidewalk in front of the hotel after construction is complete. Consider it an extension of the pre-existing urban streetscape along Main Street.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 1:12 AM

Can anyone confirm if this project will have underground parking? A few renders posted show a garage door and others don’t show driveways for a garage in the same location?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevatorGuy View Post
Can anyone confirm if this project will have underground parking? A few renders posted show a garage door and others don’t show driveways for a garage in the same location?
That door may be for deliveries. There will be no underground parking.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 12:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently it is confirmed that the FiveFive tower crane is being recycled for the Hyatt project. Footings for the crane are being installed.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:53 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Photo showing the hole they dug for the footing of the tower crane. You can see the pieces of the tower crane in the background. Also, they have marked up parts of the old parking lot showing the outline of where the building is going to go.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:24 AM
New Brunswick booster!

Very fast for a crane to go up isnt it? Isnt the excavation done first?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:38 AM

I think its a missed opportunity to add some height to the downtown core. It’ a good looking building but 6-8 floors as previously mentioned would have been great.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:14 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
I think its a missed opportunity to add some height to the downtown core. It’ a good looking building but 6-8 floors as previously mentioned would have been great.
My thoughts as well. This area can do more than 4 floors.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
I'm as much in favour of a little extra height as anyone else, but at four stories, the Hyatt will still be an important bit of infill on Main Street, essentially serving as a connecting piece between the central core and the west end.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:02 PM

4 stories is indeed too short, this project looks like something that would belong in a suburban setting. The minimum number of floor for this property should've been 6-8 floors at least. Downtown Fredericton got a Hilton Garden Inn and it looks like it belongs there, it has an urban feel, much more that this Hyatt Place. With the Downtown Centre next door, the future will indicate that the hotel project should've been much more massive. I know some people don't like the looks of the Crowne Plaza next door but at least it's much more urban...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I can't disagree, but look at the bright side.

If history proves that they underbuilt the Hyatt, this will be an impetus for even more hotel construction downtown in the future.......

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 5:06 PM

I don’t want to poo poo development downtown but this one just doesn’t feel right. It feels rushed and poorly planned out. I even doubt the final product will look as good as the renders seen in this thread. I don’t really have much to base those statements on but it’s the feeling I get?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 6:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevatorGuy View Post
I don’t want to poo poo development downtown but this one just doesn’t feel right. It feels rushed and poorly planned out. I even doubt the final product will look as good as the renders seen in this thread. I don’t really have much to base those statements on but it’s the feeling I get?
On the contrary, I believe this will be a development of the highest quality (Hyatt would not have lent their name to this hotel project otherwise). I expect this to be much like the Marriott Residence Inn on the other side of downtown (just a bit shorter). This will be a great vote of confidence in the downtown core. I wish it were double the size (like most people here do), but it is what it is and I wish them well.

The retail frontage on Main Street will be most welcome and I await eagerly the announcement of the branding of the included signature restaurant (Milestones, Baton Rouge, Bier Markt etc).

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:21 PM

The Hotel being a Hyatt really has nothing to do with the quality of the building. Hotels now adays are built by private developers then leased to the highest bidder for a certain time periods. The Hyatt obviously wants into our market and has naming rights. They also now can add some personal touches to the project. I really am pulling for this project but the absense of a parking garage or parking structure and so much surface parking leaves it feeling very suburban. I just can’t get behind a new downtown hotel with all surface parking. We have enough of that!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces