HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
That is so unfortunate given the great views that could be had from that location. I envision a neighbourhood with the shorter towers like this one right on the waterfront but then behind it they could zone it to allow 25-30 stories. Imagine the draw it would be. Marketing a condo on the 25th floor in north st b especially facing the river would be the easiest sell ever.
i agree. I am on the sixth floor in my building and the view is jaw dropping, even from that level. plus all the fireworks are right out your window.
as far as I can gather the concerns were about the limited infrastructure available to support high density, as well as the shadows that would be created in the afternoon/evening. sigh...

I guess it shows that well organized local groups almost always get what they want.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
That is so unfortunate given the great views that could be had from that location. I envision a neighbourhood with the shorter towers like this one right on the waterfront but then behind it they could zone it to allow 25-30 stories. Imagine the draw it would be. Marketing a condo on the 25th floor in north st b especially facing the river would be the easiest sell ever.
That would be fantastic. Unfortunately, the residents of St. B aren't interested in being a successful neighbourhood, and would rather continue their existence in stinky, post-industrial squalour.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
completely WASTED opportunity... this building should be at least 25 storeys tall. out of all neighbourhoods in this town, this would sell out for views alone. this building shows the "small town" aspirations this city still holds. this new "neighbourhood" is a complete disaster.
have you driven through there? i couldn't disagree with you more. this ain't TO or Van. It's a nice residential neighbourhood close to downtown and many ammenities.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 2:13 PM

those 2 "existing" building are houses. I'm sure they are holding out for the million dollar payout and eventually realize they will not get it. hopefully eventually they sell and Sunstone builds additional duplexes on site.

843 Tache city has assessed at $252k 1171 sq ft 30x90 lot
839 Tache $116k 500 sq ft 31x90 lot

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 5:24 PM

The value of 839 is probably 95% land

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The value of 839 is probably 95% land
maybe even 99.9%

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
completely WASTED opportunity... this building should be at least 25 storeys tall. out of all neighbourhoods in this town, this would sell out for views alone. this building shows the "small town" aspirations this city still holds. this new "neighbourhood" is a complete disaster.
The lack of height and density in Point Hebert has less to do with community opposition and more to do with inadequate servicing and underground infrastructure in the area to support it...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 10:43 PM

I may have missed something reg: this proposal but where do we stand as of now on this project?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 11:32 PM
There is always a way

I believe there was some sort of community meeting that took place yesterday. Allards Facebook has been active. The guy who's fighting the project on the basis that he'd lose views for a future development he's supposedly planning is rallying the troops. Those who oppose the development are incredibly nasty about how they're protesting. Poor Allard is getting hammered for making a forward thinking decision.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
I may have missed something reg: this proposal but where do we stand as of now on this project?
it has survived the city appeal process and the developer is finalizing the pricing structure. the residents group opposing the project is having a general meeting at which they will likely decide to seek a court injunction, arguing that the city process violated some statute or other..this group is serious though and successfully won a supreme court decision against some other project years ago. La liberte last week had a good to and fro between the Matt Allard and the opponents to the project. Allard has earned my respect for sure.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 12:20 PM

Allard use to be president of the "old St. B residents association" and now he is going up against them. Good for him! he's 'trying' to be a real urbanist and promoting increased density. this group is quite aggressive (words) and can really stir up the poop.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 1:05 PM

What a bunch of whiny babies. The whole neighbourhood was demolished yet somehow this apartment, which is sort of tucked away, will totally mess up the neighbourhood.

C'moooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
What a bunch of whiny babies. The whole neighbourhood was demolished yet somehow this apartment, which is sort of tucked away, will totally mess up the neighbourhood.

C'moooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
They've been opposing everything for so long that at this point it's just a knee-jerk reflex reaction. Sure, never mind the embarrassing shanties with crap strewn about the yards... it's this high end development which will ruin the area.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 4:40 PM
There is always a way

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...417852383.html

The slander of Allard is getting out of hand. Having known him personally I don't think he's predisposed to orchestrating this sort of thing.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 4:49 PM

They want the land reserved as a park. In addition to the enormous parks within a 2 minute walk.... 2 minutes is being generous, both parks are right there.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:18 PM

a good shakeup of that Board is in order, and glad to see it happening.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:39 PM

I think I have a pretty good theory as to what's causing this area's NIMBYism. Wealthy retired seniors who want to live in a suburban neighborhood that's far removed and rural in setting, despite the fact that the neighborhood in question is smack in the middle of the city. A single 7 story building on it's outskirts probably breaks the illusion that they're in the country-side, and ruins the charm of their precious little small town they think they're entitled to establishing in the middle of an inner-city area with a finite amount of developable land.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolselyMan View Post
I think I have a pretty good theory as to what's causing this area's NIMBYism. Wealthy retired seniors who want to live in a suburban neighborhood that's far removed and rural in setting, despite the fact that the neighborhood in question is smack in the middle of the city. A single 7 story building on it's outskirts probably breaks the illusion that they're in the country-side, and ruins the charm of their precious little small town they think they're entitled to establishing in the middle of an inner-city area with a finite amount of developable land.
yup that is it in a nutshell. I wish they would move to Lorette..

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 6:49 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
yup that is it in a nutshell. I wish they would move to Lorette..
Lorette wishes they'd move in too. Increase the tax base haha

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolselyMan View Post
I think I have a pretty good theory as to what's causing this area's NIMBYism. Wealthy retired seniors who want to live....
slightly accurate, but I believe very few are 'wealthy'. many are folks who have lived in the same house/neighbourhood their entire lives and don't like the idea of change.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan