HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I don't read any of those user agreements because I assume every one of those agreements will allow said company to walk all over me and waive all my rights. All user agreements are full of threats that cover the company from liability. None of those agreements would say "we'll be selling your account to Telus if we ever go down." I would be interested to know what it says on transferring your account to another company. Does it say MTS can do it for profit, because they did. They sold 100,000 accounts.

I get all that, I was just stating my opinion and dislike for those situations. I would probably decline most of the user agreements if I actually read them. But then I would be sitting on the road somewhere, with nothing. My mortgage probably has all sorts of language on how to screw me.
Keep in mind, BellMTS did not decide to "sell" 100,000 customers. They had to if they wanted the deal to go through, per the government.

And if one story I read is true, a customer "sold" can opt out of their contract penalty free if they do not wish to continue with Telus.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 5:07 PM

Depends on what you consider a "penalty". Wireless contracts are now structured in such a way the "device subsidy" is effectively a 24 month "loan". If you want to leave early you pay off the "loan", it is not a "penalty". The older contracts used to be a penalty as the termination fee hit a floor and wouldn't go any lower after a certain point and it acted as a negative retention incentive through the tail end of your contract.

In terms of the transfer to Telus, it is a mix of both a sale and a regulatory requirement. Bell went it from the start proposing the transfer to Telus in exchange for an undisclosed monetary compensation. We will never know if that condition would have been imposed if Bell hadn't proposed it first.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan