HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
Plessis should be extended north to meet the CPT eastern extension, so that Lag, Plessis, and the east perimeter are the main north/south routes off the eastern section of the CPT. The intersection at Plessis and Gunn road will have to be updated as the lineups turning south on Plessis from Gunn is ever growing
Signals etc should be going in at Plessis/Gunn over the next year or two according to Russ Waytt June 15 2015 in his article in "the Hearald"

"The work on the intersection will be split up over 2015 and 2016, according to the Department of Public Works. This is largely due to design work needing to be done for the intersection upgrade and its proximity to the CPR rail mainline. Furthermore, the City must work with the railway to ensure that the future traffic signals at Plessis and Gunn will be interconnected to the busy rail crossing signals. According to our Public Works Department, the design work will be conducted in 2015 and construction in 2016 with new the turning lanes and traffic control signals."

Last edited by cllew; Oct 1, 2015 at 11:41 PM. Reason: add info from Russ Waytt in news article

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 12:09 AM

did a little digging and the report on Concordia's twinning that I was thinking of was in 2008 not 2014/15 like I thought.

Anyway at that time the city reported there were 410-465 vehicles per lane per hour at peak hours and 600 and over per lane per hour at peak times is the number that would justify twinning Concordia. they also said the number of accidents is not out of line on comparable streets.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
did a little digging and the report on Concordia's twinning that I was thinking of was in 2008 not 2014/15 like I thought.

Anyway at that time the city reported there were 410-465 vehicles per lane per hour at peak hours and 600 and over per lane per hour at peak times is the number that would justify twinning Concordia. they also said the number of accidents is not out of line on comparable streets.
What are the numbers on Munroe, Kimberly and McLeod? I think focusing just on the one street rather than how traffic flows through the whole area is pretty short-sighted when commuters are forced to use residential streets as arterial roads. Why not build the arterial road? Lagimodiere and CPT need better access, and CPT needs to be extended to the East ASAP.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Seems to me that Gunn/Plessis intersection would be an easy one to close. Gunn ends there and it's a road to nowhere. People can use Day to get to Regent or Springfield.
Gunn has a lot of traffic as it is the only exit off the east perimeter between Dugald Ave. and Lag.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 3:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Seems to me that Gunn/Plessis intersection would be an easy one to close. Gunn ends there and it's a road to nowhere. People can use Day to get to Regent or Springfield.
Huh? Gunn goes right to the east perimeter, there are also a lot of business's on Gunn.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Huh? Gunn goes right to the east perimeter, there are also a lot of business's on Gunn.
And there's access to Gunn from Day, Redonda and the Perimeter. There's not much actually on Gunn, most of the commercial business in that area is happening on Day or Redonda, or roads accessed from them. Both Day and Redonda can be easily accessed through Springfield Road too. Most of Gunn runs behind the bioreserve, open fields and backyards of Kildonan Meadows. If Plessis is going 4 lanes the whole way and hopefully connecting to CPT at some point, there's no need for an intersection with Gunn. The ice road truckers aren't heading west from their shop, they are heading right to the Perimeter.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 5:18 PM

Quote:
What are the numbers on Munroe, Kimberly and McLeod? I think focusing just on the one street rather than how traffic flows through the whole area is pretty short-sighted when commuters are forced to use residential streets as arterial roads. Why not build the arterial road? Lagimodiere and CPT need better access, and CPT needs to be extended to the East ASAP.
No numbers for those streets were quoted in that report and I don't think I have ever seen any numbers for those streets anywhere else.

I don't even recall ever driving over the axle count hoses on any of them either so maybe the city has never done counts on Kimberly or Munroe.

McLeod is a bit different as it gets higher traffic due to the Superstore and the Pallaser furniture plant feeding into it. Probably not as much since Pallaser downsized but still sends more down McLeod than to Munroe or Kimberly.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:01 AM

Info regarding open house for the planned new Transcona Library.

http://https://twitter.com/cityofwinnipeg/status/659857806145662977

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
Info regarding open house for the planned new Transcona Library.

http://https://twitter.com/cityofwinnipeg/status/659857806145662977
Why would they need a library in Transcona?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:47 PM

^Ya. Everyone's so smart, they don't need books. Right?! haha

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:12 PM

Whatever the city ends up doing with the Transcona library, I hope they at least make it look somewhat like a respectable public building. Some of the newer public libraries are absolutely hideous abominations, like the Sir William Stephenson Library on Keewatin, replete with Burger King-style drive thru window (in case walking 30 feet from the attached parking lot is too much effort):

Source: now.winnipeg.ca

And then there is the strip mall piece of crap that is the Shindico Library on Henderson:

Let's step it up a notch. The 90s are over.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Whatever the city ends up doing with the Transcona library, I hope they at least make it look somewhat like a respectable public building. Some of the newer public libraries are absolutely hideous abominations, like the Sir William Stephenson Library on Keewatin, replete with Burger King-style drive thru window (in case walking 30 feet from the attached parking lot is too much effort):

Source: now.winnipeg.ca

And then there is the strip mall piece of crap that is the Shindico Library on Henderson:

Let's step it up a notch. The 90s are over.
Well the Will Stephenson library was built in the 90's....

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Well the Will Stephenson library was built in the 90's....
Exactly. But does the city know this? Or are they going to keep going with the 90s style public-library-as-suburban-fast-food-restaurant design motif?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:28 PM

The reason the Henderson Library looks like a grocery store on the outside is that is what is was before a library. The old location was a much small section of that same strip mall so it was actually an improvement.

My understand is the direction the city is going with new libraries is basically putting function ahead of style. That means they will lease a space on an existing bus route over some fancy design that could win architectural awards. Personally I am okay with that too as libraries are more about what is inside the walls than how pretty the walls are on the outside and if a compromise is needed I would rather it be one favouring content over building style.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:42 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Making libraries "architectural" is a waste of money. They are becoming a thing of the past anyway. A Butler building is suitable to house a library until the time that they all close.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
My understand is the direction the city is going with new libraries is basically putting function ahead of style. That means they will lease a space on an existing bus route over some fancy design that could win architectural awards. Personally I am okay with that too as libraries are more about what is inside the walls than how pretty the walls are on the outside and if a compromise is needed I would rather it be one favouring content over building style.
Hmm. How do other places manage to pull off both form and function?

Waterloo YMCA and Library:

Church conversion in Quebec City:

Local library in Toronto:

Neighbourhood library in Quebec City:

Longueil:

Boucherville:

La Malbaie:

Scarborough:

Edmonton:

Bear in mind that none of these are, as far as I know, showpiece central libraries with huge budgets... they're just garden variety local ones.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Making libraries "architectural" is a waste of money. They are becoming a thing of the past anyway. A Butler building is suitable to house a library until the time that they all close.
The cities I just posted examples from would seem to disagree with you.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:51 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

What's your point? Did you not hear the news that the city is in very poor financial shape and is looking to raise its debt ceiling? And your answer is to spend more money on prettifying institutions that are outdated and redundant anyway?

Do you work for a buggy whip manufacturer?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
What's your point? Did you not hear the news that the city is in very poor financial shape and is looking to raise its debt ceiling?
Fair enough. Then axe a surface parking lot from the library's budget and get people to park on the street, take the bus or use AT. There's a cost savings for the new library project right there.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:58 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Or lease space in a strip mall with parking included. You know, like the Henderson branch!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan