HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
The top market in Toronto is dominated by foreigners also. The truth is Canadian's don't have much of that top 1% wealth, and foreigners do, so they pick up the slack. Wealthy Chinese buying up $50 million dollar pads does not correlate to the domestic market. The domestic market is still 85%+ Canadian (RE boards hide these numbers, the few that have such as Victoria, none have ever shown foreign ownership above 12%), it is propaganda on this myth of "HAM" in 2015, it is also boldly racist as many Asians buying in the Lower Mainland are as Canadian as maple syrup. The article was not good, also shined the light on how much more value there is in the high end market. That 10 car garage subdivided would sell for $10 million, I am sure the pool house would sell for $1 million in Vancouver also.
Buying a passport and stashing you kids in school here while you continue to work and live in China doesn't make you "Canadian". Sorry.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
The kitchen islands are to increase counterspace. You can never have too little counterspace.
The kitchen in a house that size would be designed for the needs of food preparation for very large events. Hence the three (at least) sinks.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
You guys sound like a bunch of snobs

Also, I wouldn't call that kitchen plain. I think the house looks great

Everybody loves blue marble.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Buying a passport and stashing you kids in school here while you continue to work and live in China doesn't make you "Canadian". Sorry.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I think most of the best modern houses in Vancouver, architecturally, are in the $6-15 million range. The $20-$30 million houses are rarely tasteful.

I agree, give me a modern 3-4000 sqft home along Marine drive in Vancouver, or a similar size historic home in Forest Hill Toronto. The new McMansion over the top opulent homes seem to reflect new money and I can only imagine the people want to replicate stuff they see in soap operas or on the sopranos.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 2:58 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I agree, give me a modern 3-4000 sqft home along Marine drive in Vancouver, or a similar size historic home in Forest Hill Toronto. The new McMansion over the top opulent homes seem to reflect new money and I can only imagine the people want to replicate stuff they see in soap operas or on the sopranos.
New money doesn't understand why some old money houses are so large - they are to house the servants, clerks, hands and maids that were needed to administer the various enterprises that the owner have or, more usually, had.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
New money doesn't understand why some old money houses are so large - they are to house the servants, clerks, hands and maids that were needed to administer the various enterprises that the owner have or, more usually, had.
As would be this Vancouver property, I suspect, although with less emphasis on "domestic staff". Used as much as a business as it is a home.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 3:30 PM

25,000sq/ft house aside, the hefty price tag comes from the lot size on one of the richest streets in vancouver. the original owner (founder of EA) amalgamated 3 lots into one.

here's the home. you get a good sense of how big the property is compared its 'tiny' neighbours.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Excuse me? Are you implying that all Chinese people in Canada are like this? Because that's not true. There's over a million Chinese-Canadians who just as Canadian as you or I.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Excuse me? Are you implying that all Chinese people in Canada are like this? Because that's not true. There's over a million Chinese-Canadians who just as Canadian as you or I.
He's clearly not talking about the Chinese-Canadian joe-sixpack who lives in, say, Markham with his wife and 2 kids and earns $85,000 working in an office somewhere in Scarborough.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 4:46 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Great post Delirium. That's a fascinating area.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 4:50 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
... the original owner (founder of EA) amalgamated 3 lots into one ...
Trip Hawkins lived in Vancouver??

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 5:06 PM

ops - got that wrong. the original owner was Vancouver entrepreneur Don Mattrick, CEO of social gaming company Zynga and former Electronic Arts executive

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
The top market in Toronto is dominated by foreigners also. The truth is Canadian's don't have much of that top 1% wealth, and foreigners do, so they pick up the slack. Wealthy Chinese buying up $50 million dollar pads does not correlate to the domestic market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Canada's Wealthy tend to live more modestly, I.E. Rosedale, or an $8 million place in the Bridle Path.

The Rogers, Irvings, and Thompsons don't exactly live in mega mansions, but they aren't living in modest homes either.
No one going to focus on the fact that the person who designed and was selling this home was... wait for it... Canadian?

But no, Canadians are modest people priced out of their own country by evil foreigners.

While foreign money is no doubt putting upward pressure on markets, make no mistake, there is plenty of Canadian money in the ultra high end market, and pointing the finger solely at external investment is simply reactionary. Only difference is when a white Canadian buys a house like this no one makes a huge deal out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
As would be this Vancouver property, I suspect, although with less emphasis on "domestic staff". Used as much as a business as it is a home.
Doubtful, his business has an office downtown so I'd imagine this home is more for entertaining than business. Although these days where to draw the line is often pretty blurry.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 6:53 PM

Chinese are buying in Vancouver just because it's on the west coast. In the east, in Montréal, the majority of international buyers of large single-family homes are from China, Syria, Mexico, Russia and the U.S. They typically are married with children. Work in finance, technology, law or are entrepreneurs.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
No one going to focus on the fact that the person who designed and was selling this home was... wait for it... Canadian?

But no, Canadians are modest people priced out of their own country by evil foreigners.

While foreign money is no doubt putting upward pressure on markets, make no mistake, there is plenty of Canadian money in the ultra high end market, and pointing the finger solely at external investment is simply reactionary. Only difference is when a white Canadian buys a house like this no one makes a huge deal out of it.

Doubtful, his business has an office downtown so I'd imagine this home is more for entertaining than business. Although these days where to draw the line is often pretty blurry.
At that level, there is usually no line.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 8:04 PM

That house is just obscene! I wouldn't know what to do with all that space. My dream place would be like a 4000sqft penthouse with a view, and even that seems incredibly large to me.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder if there is a separate commercial kitchen in there? I mean, if you can afford $51 million for a house then surely you can afford a chef to cook nice meals for you and your family... if I lived in there, I sure wouldn't intend to be warming up cans of Chunky Soup for myself.
That's right, all the fanciest Dijon Ketchup.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post
That's right, all the fanciest Dijon Ketchup.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 8:27 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada