HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 1:49 AM

San Antonio nets pro soccer franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Here it is...

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...05/story1.html
Quote:
Friday, July 2, 2010
Spurs’ parent eying pro soccer for San Antonio
Plan calls for developing a new stadium complex
San Antonio Business Journal - by W. Scott Bailey

Serious discussions

The Spurs are not the only entity interested in securing a pro soccer franchise. Former home builder and developer Gordon Hartman says he, too, hopes to bring a team to San Antonio.

Hartman helped develop Morgan’s Wonderland, a theme park for special needs children, and the STAR Soccer complex — both located at the site of the former Longhorn Quarry on San Antonio’s Northeast Side.

“I’m working very aggressively to put together a plan to bring a professional soccer team to San Antonio,” Hartman explains. “I want to build a venue that would accommodate a pro soccer team.”

Hartman says he has had conversations with multiple teams about relocating to San Antonio.

“We’ve had serious discussions,” he says.

Hartman’s focus is the United Soccer Leagues (USL), which currently has teams in markets such as Austin, Portland and Tampa Bay.

Gomez says he believes San Antonio should start with a team in the USL.

But he says SS&E is interested in a plan that would include a stadium suitable for the MLS.

Scott Metzger, founder of Freetail Brewing Co., has been to MLS matches in Houston and to the MLS Cup in Seattle. His San Antonio brew pub has hosted several World Cup viewing parties that attracted overflow crowds.

“I do believe there is support for a pro team,” say Metzger about the prospect of San Antonio getting its own franchise. “But I believe it has to be done on the top professional level.”

SAISD’s Ed Garza says he isn’t sure how this will play out. But he says San Antonio has come a long way since he left City Hall.

“We can now sustain and support professional soccer in San Antonio,” he says. “We have grown by leaps and bounds over the last five years.”

Gomez says the excitement generated over the World Cup in San Antonio helped “put a face” with the research SS&E has performed with regard to the viability of bringing a soccer team to San Antonio.

“We absolutely believe that professional soccer is the next sport to bring to San Antonio,” Gomez insists. “But it has to be at the right level and at the right venue. We want to do it. But we want to do it the right way.”

SS&E officials say what they can offer a potential venue partner is the expertise from operating multiple professional sports franchises and a major league sports venue — AT&T Center.

“We are a willing, potential partner in the development of a stadium with a school district,” Gomez says. “Frisco has showed how this can work ... .”

Read more: Spurs’ parent eying pro soccer for San Antonio - San Antonio Business Journal
Well, looks like this part of the article came true.
Gordon Hartman/San Antonio got awarded a team by the NASL to play at the STAR Soccer Complex.

Monday, October 4, 2010, 4:56pm CDT

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...04/daily9.html
San Antonio nets pro soccer franchise
San Antonio Business Journal - by W. Scott Bailey

Quote:
The North American Soccer League (NASL) says it has granted an expansion franchise to San Antonio entrepreneur Gordon Hartman.

The new soccer team will begin play in 2012 at the STAR Soccer Complex on San Antonio’s Northeast Side.

“As we continue to expand the NASL and collectively grow professional soccer in the United States, San Antonio is a natural market with a vibrant business community and soccer fan base,” says NASL CEO Aaron Davidson.

Read more: San Antonio nets pro soccer franchise - San Antonio Business Journal
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 5:09 PM

is the NASL even as big a deal as the MLS? Or is SA getting the short end of the pro sports stick here

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
is the NASL even as big a deal as the MLS? Or is SA getting the short end of the pro sports stick here
No, it it is not as big as the MLS. Remember, the city turned down the MLS in the past (Hardberger at least).

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 11:53 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
Short end. Minor league team playing in the suburbs. Worse for me than even no team...

It will likely be poorly attended, giving any opponents of MLS fuel to say "See, soccer just doesn't draw well" or "If they can't even support minor-leagues..."

Most annoying argument ever. Like saying San Antonio hates football because we didn't support UFL or CFL or WLAF...

Lose/lose. Still waiting on MLS to go urban.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 2:48 PM

NASL is a break off of USL. This is going to be their 1st season. Teams will be located in Atlanta, St. Louis, Baltimore, and Miami to name a few. There will also be teams in Canada and Puerto Rico.

I'm open to the idea. It has potential to bring in some money and much needed sports coverage to San Antonio. I think Hartman is a good guy we need to put some faith into his idea.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 5:18 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
NASL is a break off of USL. This is going to be their 1st season. Teams will be located in Atlanta, St. Louis, Baltimore, and Miami to name a few. There will also be teams in Canada and Puerto Rico.

I'm open to the idea. It has potential to bring in some money and much needed sports coverage to San Antonio. I think Hartman is a good guy we need to put some faith into his idea.
being optimistic is one thing. i am cynical but can allow for those who are hopeful that the NASL experiment will turn out well.

still, thinking san antonio will get any "much needed sports coverage" out of this is delusional. how much "sports coverage" does san antonio get on a national stage from the Rampage or Missions? zero.

minor league sports are placebos, satisfying the psychological need for acceptance in some imagined fraternity without delivering any actual substantial effect to the overall problem.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 12:26 AM

I'd have to agree with Kyle. Even if SA had landed an MLS team, it would still be a stretch to think it would suddenly gain any discernable national attention.

When you're the number 37 market in the US, nothing short of hosting the Olympics is gonna result in any real national attention as far as sports are concerned. Just ask Salt Lake City (which is a bigger TV market, btw).

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I'd have to agree with Kyle. Even if SA had landed an MLS team, it would still be a stretch to think it would suddenly gain any discernable national attention.

When you're the number 37 market in the US, nothing short of hosting the Olympics is gonna result in any real national attention as far as sports are concerned. Just ask Salt Lake City (which is a bigger TV market, btw).
Uh hello you would at least get coverage in other NASL cities (like I mentioned Miami, St. Louis, Peurto Rico, Canada, etc.)

I'm from Midland and we were very supportive of our minor league baseball, soccer, football (Odessa), and hockey (Odessa) teams. These teams get those cities a lot of news coverage they never would have received. They also increase the quality of life and help draw new options to the region.

San Antonio will never be Houston or Dallas. So stop trying already.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
Still waiting on MLS to go urban.
Not sure if anyone was caught off guard with this one.
Looks like we might be one step closer. SS&E seem pretty serious about soccer.

from mysa.com

Quote:
SAISD seeks partners on Alamo Stadium renovation
Spurs group is quick to display its interest.
By Lindsay Kastner
lkastner@express-news.net

Published: 12:00 a.m., Thursday, December 30, 2010

The San Antonio Independent School District trustees Wednesday opened the door to possible partners in the renovation of Alamo Stadium and the Convocation Center, and the Spurs wasted no time showing their interest in professional soccer there.

Leo Gomez, a vice president of Spurs Sports & Entertainment, cut short his hunting vacation to observe the specially called school board meeting and said later that the company “absolutely” wants to bring pro soccer to the stadium, which would continue to be used by the district for football.

The board took no specific action about the stadium other than to ask the staff to immediately “prepare partnership concepts.”
The company's focus is soccer, he said, and whether it would bring in concerts or other money-making ventures “depends on what the stadium is equipped with."

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/edu...#ixzz19buAhxdj

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/education/article/SAISD-seeks-partners-on-Alamo-Stadium-renovation-926466.php#ixzz19bsk4xeL
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 4:11 PM
Paradise

But is it really going to be MLS their after or any other league they can get their hands on?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
But is it really going to be MLS their after or any other league they can get their hands on?
Considering that Gordon Hartman already got a team that way, it would seem that the Spurs (S&E) go after MLS. I doubt they go after a competing minor league club or spend millions for anything other than MLS. We might not see anything til 2015 or after; by that time the NASL will have been here for 3 years.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 4:53 PM
Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Considering that Gordon Hartman already got a team that way, it would seem that the Spurs (S&E) go after MLS. I doubt they go after a competing minor league club or spend millions for anything other than MLS. We might not see anything til 2015 or after; by that time the NASL will have been here for 3 years.
Yeah it's that NASL that everyone got excited about, but that isn't pro soccer is it? MLS is the only big one, am I right?

Well I hope it works out.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 1:03 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

I've actually got sources here.

SS&E is SERIOUS about bringing soccer and serious about making MLS part of that plan.

The idea would be to start out in a "minor" league to build fanbase, optimize concepts, and then step into MLS at a pre-arranged time with the league.

Could be 2012 start date with a "step-up" in 2014 or 2015.

This is very much happening and the Spurs (again) are VERY serious.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 11:37 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
I've actually got sources here.

SS&E is SERIOUS about bringing soccer and serious about making MLS part of that plan.

The idea would be to start out in a "minor" league to build fanbase, optimize concepts, and then step into MLS at a pre-arranged time with the league.

Could be 2012 start date with a "step-up" in 2014 or 2015.

This is very much happening and the Spurs (again) are VERY serious.
And here is SS&E to make us look smart. All in...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/edu...ers-942707.php

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 11:39 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
And here is SS&E to make us look smart. All in...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/edu...ers-942707.php
And here is my article on why this makes sense for San Antonio and for the prospects of an urban future....

MLS on the San Antonio Horizon? SS&E Makes Intentions Clear
http://www.crocketteers.com/2011/01/...entions-clear/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 1:11 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

More "news"...

As part of the NASL v USL debate (read: suburban Hartman plan v urban Spurs plan), the city/county is studying the viability of both models (in addition to other ways to lure MLS/NFL/MLB.

Word is that the early returns strongly favor the more urban plan (the Spurs' Alamo Stadium plan).

If that holds, then the city/county would shift financial support to that plan and the other would (assumedly) go away.

Sculley (Cheryl's husband, leader of Sports/Convention office and study) has said that they are obviously ready to declare that two teams will not work. The rest of the study will be made known sooner than later.

So, for urbanity's sake, we're looking to be in a good position.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:20 PM
Paradise

Good, I hope it goes downtown.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 3:12 AM

Vice President of the USL,Tim Holt, was being interviewed during the first half of the Spurs game tonight. He said he was in town today touring Alamo Stadium and meeting with civic leaders and he sounds pretty confident that SA will have a team soon.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 4:01 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
And here is my article on why this makes sense for San Antonio and for the prospects of an urban future....

MLS on the San Antonio Horizon? SS&E Makes Intentions Clear
http://www.crocketteers.com/2011/01/...entions-clear/
Nice article. In addition, since SA is so close to Mexico and has a large Latino population which is historically into soccer, that's another qualifier for the demographics being right to support a MLS team.

My only question is since MLS's season is in the summer, and San Antonio's average high temperature in the summer months has been at or over 100 degrees in the past several years, would they schedule all the home games at night? Seems like it would be a good idea.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 8:17 PM

Spurs bring soccer hopes, official to Alamo Stadium

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/...#ixzz1BbnVrIn3

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio