HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Who did you vote for?
Liberal Party 75 38.66%
Conservative Party 47 24.23%
New Democratic Party 37 19.07%
People's Party 11 5.67%
Bloc Québécois 6 3.09%
Green Party 13 6.70%
Other 5 2.58%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:30 AM

Some thoughts:
-BQ surge fell short of what polls were expecting. It was still weak enough that the Liberals were able to do well on splits
-Trudeau did just as well as he did last time in Ontario with a few losses and a few gains
-NDP down to just 6 seats in Ontario
-Conservative margins in the prairie provinces are insane, AB popular vote just shy of 70%!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Losing it? Progressive voters who favour action on climate change won, with 64% of the vote. Alberta is once again stuck on the outside and it will be for four years.
Yeah, everyone who didn't vote for the Conservatives wants the exact same things. Once the climate taxes start going up you'll see how wrong you are.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:48 AM

Congratulations to @JustinTrudeau on a wonderful and hard fought victory. Canada is well served. I look forward to working with you toward the betterment of both of our countries!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 22, 2019

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:50 AM

The stark regional differences portray only part of the equation as the urban/rural one is the other.. Outside AB, SK, and QC, the Tories got absolutely pulverized in Canada's urban centres.

The Tories didn't get a single urban seat in STJS, HFX, MTN, STJ, DRU, TR, Sher, any of greater Montreal, GAT,OTT, KTN, PET, HAM, KWC, STC, LDN, WSR, VIC and did poorly in Winnipeg. They only got a handful of seats in the entire GTA and Vancouver and they were centered in Chinese areas who tend to be very socially conservative.

The worst part for the Tories, is that I don't think they care. The Western Tories seem to associate urbanites as just a bunch of ivory tower elitists who have nothing better to do than tone their martini skills on the Montreal-Toronto cocktail circuit. They seem to view urban Canada with a real distain despite Canada being an overwhelmingly urban nation. Unless the Tories start to genuinely be sensitive to urban issues and shape future policy around those concerns they will never get to Sussex Drive.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Nah, the answer is simple; you are one of them and have developed the same mentality.

Funnily enough, you claim to live in Alberta, yet your posting history is all in the Winnipeg threads. Interesting.

The Women in Alberta thought you were a creep.

Last edited by GregSF; Oct 22, 2019 at 1:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSF View Post

In fact, one of my lady friends referred to you as a "walking social disease."
okay lil' buckaroo. I'm sure the blowup dolls you consult give you the best advice you can get.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:43 AM
BANNED

Edit

Last edited by GregSF; Oct 22, 2019 at 12:59 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Case in point...

Not only was Pinus very unpopular with the locals in Alberta, but a couple of acquaintances (who shall remain nameless), had stated on numerous occasions that they did not want their children within 100 metres of him. It was clear to many that he was mentally unstable, and people who had registered firearms were told to keep them under "lock and key", when Pinus was in the neighborhood.

No matter what you think about people from Alberta, they seem to be intelligent enough to see through men like Pinus.
Speaking of "case in point" for mentally unstable.........

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
But you're actively campaigning to kill it at the same time. That's not good for Alberta in the long run.
Please give an example of where I have "actively campaigned" to kill the oil industry". It should be easy to find quotes if I have.

What I have supported is sensible climate policy, which is not only the right thing to do, but the right thing for the oil industry and Alberta. If we do not approach the climate issue in a sensible way, Alberta will be left behind and our economy with it.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 9:16 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Phew. I'm pleased with the results. I was hoping Malone would do better for the Greens in Avalon but 5+% is still their best result here ever. And the Greens overall did twice as well in rural NL as in the capital city. My riding went back to the NDP, and the other stuff stayed Liberal, as expected. Other surprise for me is how well O'Regan did in St. John's South-Mount Pearl. I was expecting that to be much closer.

FB is gone mad with gloating. Lots of shouting matches between NLers at home, who are mostly leftist, and NLers in Alberta, who reliably go hardcore Conservative within a few days of arriving.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
And yet you support people like Elizabeth May who has latched on to the rants of a 16 year old girl who's being manipulated by her parents and their overlords to scam trillions of dollars out of "well off" westerners. The fact that climate hysteria was a driving force for some in this election is compelling evidence that my thinking is anything but simplistic. Don't you ever sit back and think to yourself just how fucking stupid that message is? The world is not going to end in 2025. Now I'm starting to feel sorry for you guys. Totally brainwashed.
The guy who hates immigrants is taking the result very well I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post
The shocking lack of the Jordan Peterson vibe was missing.

He literally converted me and a whole lot of other millennials to conservatism and is wildly famous. Last I checked he's the only regular conservative guest on the Joe Rogan Experience. Guy checks all the boxes, open minded, religious, from rural alberta, a professor of pysc living in downtown Toronto, and obsessed with soviet union art.
LOLOL

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 9:59 AM

The Conservatives thought they could easily take Central Nova back when they parachuted country singer George Canyon in from Alberta. This was Peter MacKay’s old riding that went Liberal in the last election. Canyon is originally from here but lives in Alberta now. His real name is Fred Lays Jr.

Sean Fraser easily retained the riding for the Liberals.

This was a very safe Conservative riding for many years with Peter MacKay and his father before. It was also the first riding Brian Mulroney ran in back in the ‘80s and won.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Central Nova the next election if Peter MacKay does come back to lead the Conservatives after a Leadership review of Andrew Scheer.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 10:44 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

One unfortunate thing, although we went 6 Liberal, 1 NDP, the Conservative vote share in Newfoundland is starting to recover from the Harper years.

Avalon
Conservative: 31.0% (Winner: Liberal 46.1%)

Burin-Bonavista-Trinity
Conservative: 39.5% (Winner: Liberal 45.7%)

Coast of Bays-Central-Notre Dame
Conservative: 35.5% (Winner: Liberal 48.2%)

Labrador
Conservative: 31.7% (Winner: Liberal 41.8%)

Long Range Mountains
Conservative: 28.3% (Winner: Liberal 47.4%)

St. John's East
Conservative: 18.1% (Winner: NDP 46.9%)

St. John's South-Mount Pearl
Conservative: 19.1% (Winner: Liberal 50.9%)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 10:56 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:

In fact, one of my lady friends referred to you as a "walking social disease."
That's ban-worthy. I'd delete that if I were you.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

FB is gone mad with gloating. Lots of shouting matches between NLers at home, who are mostly leftist, and NLers in Alberta, who reliably go hardcore Conservative within a few days of arriving.
I think I've blocked every dude that I went to school with and have since moved to Alberta. They are insufferable with their posts of false information and stupid memes.

One dude was shitting on Liberal Seamus O'Regan because he didn't think the old Battery Hotel should have been sold to MUN. Like, wtf does a federal MP have to do with the sale of a private building to the provincial government.

Anyways, I voted Liberal. Nothing against NDP Jack Harris, but didn't want to see a retread. Whether you like Nick Whalen or not, he's a relatively young, well-educated man who was very active in his riding. I doubt we've seen the last of him. I didn't really know much about the Conservative candidate, he wasn't very visible in this election to me.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:07 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I think I've blocked every dude that I went to school with and have since moved to Alberta. They are insufferable with their posts of false information and stupid memes.

One dude was shitting on Liberal Seamus O'Regan because he didn't think the old Battery Hotel should have been sold to MUN. Like, wtf does a federal MP have to do with the sale of a private building to the provincial government.
I've seen three different people FROM NL post something to the effect of "NL went Red. Alberta should hire LOCAL ONLY!!!" With lots of likes. Also from NLers. It's truly spectacular.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:26 AM

Canadian values won this election again, the Tories utterly failed to win which is good since scheer is an american and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the PMO, Canadians a progressive, tolerant people and this election represents a repudiation and rejection of the alt right and far right.

I'm proud of Canada, thank you for supporting our values again, let us never return to the tory dark ages of Stephen Harper.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:37 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

'Canada is more divided today,' says political scientist on election results

Quote:
While the election results in Newfoundland and Labrador didn't come as much of a surprise, the scattered colours across Canada's ridings hightlight a lack of unity among its citizens, says political scientist Stephen Tomblin.

"Canada is more divided today than it was yesterday," Tomblin says.

"People are angry. They're frustrated.. the major parties aren't focusing on citizens, they're not focusing on public policy, they're not focusing upon the Earth, they're basically playing for their territorial friends and their communities," said Tomblin.

"And as a consequence of that, for example, Newfoundland and Labrador is gonna be in a real dogfight if they think they're gonna get extra favours from Ottawa to pay for some of their self-inflicted wounds."

Preliminary results from Elections Canada show a little more than 58 per cent turnout among registered voters in N.L. Those numbers do not include voters who registered on election day.

"I think it's gonna get worse. I think it's going to be very difficult for Newfoundland and Labrador to have their concerns raised at the centre," he said.

"It's all gonna be about accommodating Quebec and accommodating Alberta, and surviving."

Tomblin said the idea of integration for issues in Atlantic Canada will likely come up again, with what he expects to be a hike in the number of "elite accommodation" among premiers in non-Liberal leading provinces.

"I think territoriality is gonna increase," he told CBC's St. John's Morning Show.

Alberta and N.L. share a common economic reliance on the natural resources and energy sector, Tomblin said, but their votes went in totally different directions.

"It's going to be continued chaos and competition across those borders and boundaries" as a result, he said.

Alberta will want more money from Ottawa, he said, but it doesn't rely on that money the way N.L. does.

"Territoriality, form over function is gonna continue to play out," he said.

"The democratic deficit, the level of frustration of Canadians who are no longer united or are operating within a game where they may, even if they are united … don't have the venues in order to mobilize. In the days of Pierre Trudeau, Pierre Trudeau tried to create pan-Canadian venues, but all of that has gone away."

"Rather than asking questions like, 'What form of energy makes the most sense for Canada? For its citizens, for costs, for infrastructure, for the Earth?' those questions aren't coming up. Basically the questions will be what does Quebec want … so I think going forward the federal government is now even less powerful, has less capacity."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...tion-1.5330155

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:39 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Oh my.

I figured there'd be some pissed off people on my Facebook feed, but good lord, it's a meltdown of epic portions. A guy I went to school with sent me an invitation to some Alberta Separatism group, and it's full-on loony tunes in there. The main theme is Quebec and Muslim hate with all the grammatical errors and spelling mistakes fit to print.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:45 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Oh my.

I figured there'd be some pissed off people on my Facebook feed, but good lord, it's a meltdown of epic portions. A guy I went to school with sent me an invitation to some Alberta Separatism group, and it's full-on loony tunes in there. The main theme is Quebec and Muslim hate with all the grammatical errors and spelling mistakes fit to print.
Could it be the Russians sowing regionalism? It does feel much stronger than in the past (here as well), and it is their MO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada