HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Just think... if we had a decent rapid transit system, imagine how many of those cars would be off the road.
Amen!

It's worrisome to me that we haven't heard a peep from the mayor on the next leg of RT. He only has 14 years to finish the entire system (LOL)... The first leg is now 5 years old and about 1/4 done. Good start.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Just think... if we had a decent rapid transit system, imagine how many of those cars would be off the road.
I agree, the city should have looked at some form of rapid transit when the pop. was at 500K and not waited until we hit 800K like we are now!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Amen!

It's worrisome to me that we haven't heard a peep from the mayor on the next leg of RT. He only has 14 years to finish the entire system (LOL)... The first leg is now 5 years old and about 1/4 done. Good start.
What do you mean? The eastern corridor study is underway. Public engagement has started and there's been open houses for your input. There will be more public engagement opportunities this fall on routing options. Everyone needs to attend these and provide their ideas. The City is actually listening to you and requires your input.
http://winnipegtransit.com/en/major-...orridor-study/

The first leg is also under construction and will be complete in 2019. It's the routes going beyond those two which have not been looked at really at all. I highly doubt we'll get all routes built by 2030. Although I didn't really think that was a realistic election promise.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 4:00 PM

Fair, you'd just think we'd be further along at this point. Although it's not the current council's (mostly) fault that it took so long to get the Eastern study underway. But at the rate everything is going- we're looking at 2050 if we're lucky.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 4:01 PM

Bowman's promise could have been realistic if the city had hit the ground running with it after he was elected, but you get the sense it simply isn't that much of a priority... it looks more like an empty promise every year.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 4:02 PM

It will come down to funding. Eastern corridor will be expensive. Especially with all the structure getting from Main St, through Union station, and over the Red into St. B (if that's the route they choose of course).

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Bowman's promise could have been realistic if the city had hit the ground running with it after he was elected, but you get the sense it simply isn't that much of a priority... it looks more like an empty promise every year.
Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at. It was like "LET'S DO THIS!" but then nothing happened. Although to be fair I don't think it really has much to do with him, more to do with the rest of council and the sloths in administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It will come down to funding. Eastern corridor will be expensive. Especially with all the structure getting from Main St, through Union station, and over the Red into St. B (if that's the route they choose of course).
Fair. SWBRT is expensive too. That's how it is. As much as I think the Union Station part is critical and will be game-changing for downtown. I think the Eastern Corridor could and should open and operate before/without Union Station link, if they're not able to do it all at once.

Just to be clear I'm not advocating not doing it, just that I think the corridor is more important than the station to start. I want both ASAP.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The first leg is also under construction and will be complete in 2019. It's the routes going beyond those two which have not been looked at really at all. I highly doubt we'll get all routes built by 2030. Although I didn't really think that was a realistic election promise.
A spur off southwest to go past Waverly and Kennaston essentially long Sterling Lyon could service communities like Whyte Ridge, Linden Woods, Ridgewood West, etc. Some not directly RT to the door but RT 80% of the route with the last mile being on street. You could also split a spur into Bridgewater and Southpointe. The Ridgewood West spur could go out to the west Perimeter. Sadly, the other side of the Assinboine would be better for a park and ride but you could have a limited stop park and ride near the race track to access the spur via the Perimeter.

Depending on travel times v current options you could look at a spur from the SW line at Bishop and Pembina across the Red and then along Bishop to St Vital Centre area or even all the way east to Sage Creek. It might not be as ideal as a direct north-south route to downtown but the cost savings v a direct route would be huge. The travel time is where that one would ultimately shake out though. That said getting transit traffic off the heavily congested routes like St Marys and Archibald could be a win in itself.

Similar to the SW spurs, there is a right of way for RT set aside along Gateway although it would require doing some realignment of the active trail there. That would pick up Elmwood, East K, North K and could even add a park and ride near the 59/101.

That really leaves the northwest area (Garden City, Maples, Amber Trails, Riverbend) and Polo Park/airport and points west. Neither of those routes will be easier or cheap but that is fairly obvious. The "best" choice to downtown-Polo Park could be an elevated platform down the middle of Portage Ave from Colony to just before the rail underpass by Polo Park. Make the boulevard slightly wider by pushing the existing lanes out and shrinking the sidewalks. Leaving Polo Park the RT line could take a reworked Empress to St Mathews, west to the edge of the airport then essentially run along a reworked Berry. Berry is currently three lanes with wide boulevards. Could rework that to have north-south transit and either maintain two lanes of other traffic and reduce the existing traffic to one way. West of the airport using the setback for Silver Ave would seem to be the best course.

The northwest corridor? Perhaps look at McGregor. It is four lanes from the start until Lelia. Rework Lelia between McGregor and Amber Trails following the completion of the CPT extension reducing it to two lanes vehicles and two lanes limited cross traffic dedicated transit. Going through residential would limit the speeds but if stop count and cross traffic was essentially eliminated it could make for fairly quick travel time on that corridor. McGregor has (had?) and existing allowance for it to continue further north too and could potentially service Riverbend.

Considering there are lots of existing roads or right of ways that could be used when RT moves beyond the eastern cooridor it has potential to hit the target date. The big torn though is going to be the downtown/Polo Park route.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 6:57 PM

Mcdermot is now a 1 way in front of CancerCare/Brodie center.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 8:18 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Archibald "Hwy."

Rode down most of Archibald yesterday after a day in beach country.

Wow, what a nice stretch in some parts with some great potential.

Part industrial, part residential with some infill, then as you go southward sort of "Parkway" like similar to Dunkirk.

It'd be nice to make this roadway more limited access, put some interchanges in there and improve North South access in that part of the metro area.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
Part of the new bike lanes going in. HSC > Exchange District.

On that note, I'm very curious to see this plan for the Sherbrook bike lane from Cumberland to McDermot. I just don't see where they're going to put it without removing a lane of traffic or sidewalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Rode down most of Archibald yesterday after a day in beach country.

Wow, what a nice stretch in some parts with some great potential.

Part industrial, part residential with some infill, then as you go southward sort of "Parkway" like similar to Dunkirk.

It'd be nice to make this roadway more limited access, put some interchanges in there and improve North South access in that part of the metro area.
Will be very interesting to see what happens with the now vacant land at Archibald & Provencher. The mushroom factory there really limits the potential for development. Feel bad for the construction workers that were working on Archibald the last 2 summers... driving by there every day, sometimes it's unbearable.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 8:52 PM

Residents of St. B shot down putting an interchange at Archibald and Marion. So there's that. Archibald is mostly fine the way it is IMO. Limited stop lights. Deal with the intersection at Marion, add some AT infrastructure and I think it's fine. Would be nice to have a bike path on the east side of the Seine.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 11:37 PM

My wish list for Archibald includes a bridge connection directly to Higgins in order to get truck traffic out of the centre of town, and a flyover at Fermor to get truck traffic further out of town. That's about it.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 6:49 AM

I'm more curious what they do with the old Central Grains land than the street itself. But yes continuing the AT paths north to Mission is a good start.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
The bike lane eliminated the handicapped parking in front of CancerCare. Nice priorities there.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 5:27 PM

Hopefully not

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 7:43 PM

^^Picture upload failed.

Sort of wondering if part of the healthcare overhaul in the province was to remove the few somewhat affordable parking spaces near HSC on McDermot, including the handicap spaces in front of CancerCare to make room for a bike lane. As going to HSC is not stressful enough lets further burden familes with the rates those parkades somehow think are appropriate.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 2:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The bike lane eliminated the handicapped parking in front of CancerCare. Nice priorities there.
Don't be like that, you know there will at least 12 bikes a day going down that bike lane!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 12:20 PM

photobucket is failing, this may work

(click thumbnail)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 5:22 PM

flyover of the proposed new Arlington bridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=VIR0yxNBhHE

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan