HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 8:12 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
As much as you've mentioned closeted dudes, it makes me think you're hooking up with every last one you've met. Stories??
I only hooked up with one basically because he made it seem like he was interested in more but I was just dumb haha, whatever though. The rest are just good guys that I like to drink with and hang out. I like to help people deal with that kinda thing because I'm a great empath and I wish that I had had anyone when I was dealing with it.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 8:22 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
While I would disagree that people "have it made", yeah, the larger pool makes it a bit easier.

Depends what you're looking for, though. I've always been envious of the gay community because people aren't so freaking obsessed with satisfying their parents and cultural norms by getting married and having children. I may be sounding naive here, but gay folks that I know tend to be looking for the same things I am: sex, and/or companionship. And that's it. Not some society-driven lifestyle that they spend half their lives striving for, only to whine about it constantly once they get it.

When gay couples acquire children, it's always because they WANT them. Hell, they have to work for them. With straight couples, half the time it's because they can't figure out birth control. I've always found gay parents to be better parents overall as a result, much to the chagrin of my anti-gay-parents friends and family.
I wouldn't say that necessarily all gay couples have to WANT to have children. My boyfriend, after having dated a guy from grade 8 to grade 12, started dating a chick to try and hide who he was, they had a kid, got married, and divorced six months later. Now he has a 3 year old girl and loves her to death... basically father of the year (and so far, boyfriend of the year ) and now basically I am an instant step-mom haha and I wasn't really looking for that... but he found me and I like him so that's how it is.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 9:22 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Do you have any idea how badly it hurt to realize I didnt fit the straight lifestyle and would not be having a wife and kids?
While I can never fully appreciate it from the "other side" - as someone who has chosen to never have a wife or kids, I can at least partially relate. The societal pressure to conform on this one is perhaps stronger than any other thing I can think of. Other than to be straight, of course. Oddly enough, I find most people that I know are MORE accepting of gay people than they are a heterosexual who willingly chooses to not have children. As always, might just be the circles I run in. But I have received this comment several times: "At least gay people KNOW they won't have kids, it's a biological impossibility. But you're a f**king freak for choosing not to when you easily could". Different pressures, and I won't even begin to argue that they're equal.

Quote:
On top of that I was told I could not get married. Kind of leaves a pit in the stomach. Please stop making it seem like gay life has been so easy when in fact, it has not. Were not all emotionless whores that dont care about family. lol
Not at all what I was trying to get across, and I apologize if it came off like that. I was more thinking "within" the gay community - I don't think gay people, in general, have to filter potential partners out based on whether or not they want to reproduce with you. Again, there are other pressures that I can barely begin to understand.

But, as Chadillaccc points out - there are some interesting exceptions. I also know a number of gay people with kids from a straight relationship. Should have used "usually" instead of "always".

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 9:27 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
What I think the larger "straight" community doesn't realize is that there are more old straight men who bang teenage or 20 year old girls as there are in the gay world. Due to the disproportionate size of the population, there are in fact many more older straight men who do this.
Absolutely, and it's hypocrisy of the highest order. However, if these old men started using terms like "Daddy/Daughter" to describe these relationships, they'd face a bit more scorn.

I'm with you on the age issue - I've never understood why so many place such an importance on it.

Quote:
The problem as I see it is the anti-gay movement narrows down the argument down to too small of a level, compares a very stereotypical behavior of a few people in the community and just because they find it "icky" they parade around how evil it is, but they don't realize their own world contains the same thing.
Yup. It's the same old "gay men are more likely to be pedophiles" stereotype. Which is statistically nonsense - but the perception remains all too common. What I've always found bizarre is how sexual abuse against a minor is one thing - but sexual abuse against a same-sex minor is OMG EVIL. There's an implicit condemnation of all gay people in that thought.

It's a wonderful double standard that crosses not only gender orientation lines, but gender lines period. A man of course abuses every small child he can get his hands on - but a gay man is even worse. Everyone knows this.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 11:09 PM
Here and There

No worries. Sorry for jumping on ya.

I struggled with accepting it quite a bit. I always wanted a family. My new partner has 4 kids but the mother wants them to have nothing to do with him because he is gay. We will win them over eventually.

Quote:
While I can never fully appreciate it from the "other side" - as someone who has chosen to never have a wife or kids, I can at least partially relate. The societal pressure to conform on this one is perhaps stronger than any other thing I can think of. Other than to be straight, of course. Oddly enough, I find most people that I know are MORE accepting of gay people than they are a heterosexual who willingly chooses to not have children. As always, might just be the circles I run in. But I have received this comment several times: "At least gay people KNOW they won't have kids, it's a biological impossibility. But you're a f**king freak for choosing not to when you easily could". Different pressures, and I won't even begin to argue that they're equal.

Not at all what I was trying to get across, and I apologize if it came off like that. I was more thinking "within" the gay community - I don't think gay people, in general, have to filter potential partners out based on whether or not they want to reproduce with you. Again, there are other pressures that I can barely begin to understand.

But, as Chadillaccc points out - there are some interesting exceptions. I also know a number of gay people with kids from a straight relationship. Should have used "usually" instead of "always".

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 11:13 PM
ARTchitecture

That's the same situation I'm in right now KW, the c*nt ex-wife wants full custody of his daughter even though when she was pregnant with her she wanted to abort. She's not fit to be a mother to such a sweet girl. Plus she wants to live with David anyways.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I only hooked up with one basically because he made it seem like he was interested in more but I was just dumb haha, whatever though. The rest are just good guys that I like to drink with and hang out. I like to help people deal with that kinda thing because I'm a great empath and I wish that I had had anyone when I was dealing with it.
No attraction at all? Just "good guys" to hang with? Right...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 4:07 AM
Here and There

Of course.

Quote:
Do we have this sort of thing for willing, attractive straight girls?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 4:08 AM
Here and There

The orgies do break out. Its a fact.

Quote:
To be fair, the same perception exists about young straight men - "you have to like her, she has boobs".

I do find it a fair bit funnier when people use it towards gay men though. As if every time a group of them hang out together (say, at work, or doing any sort of activity where men congregate) a spontaneous orgy will just break out. I mean, they're all gay and stuff, right?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 9:57 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
No attraction at all? Just "good guys" to hang with? Right...
I never said they weren't weren't fine as hell. If I wasn't dating someone I'd wacks that ass till they show me what they workin with lmao!!!!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I wouldn't say that necessarily all gay couples have to WANT to have children. My boyfriend, after having dated a guy from grade 8 to grade 12, started dating a chick to try and hide who he was, they had a kid, got married, and divorced six months later. Now he has a 3 year old girl and loves her to death... basically father of the year (and so far, boyfriend of the year ) and now basically I am an instant step-mom haha and I wasn't really looking for that... but he found me and I like him so that's how it is.
Having been engaged to my ex-bf for many years we talked about kids, but since it didn't work out the conversation was mute. Being happily single, the thought hasn't really crossed my mind.

Personally, I've found the gay community in Calgary to be rather odd. Coming from Halifax, it's way more cliquish than back east and far less welcoming. Making friends around here is way more difficult and I'm a pretty relaxed, laid back kind of person. I also find the bar scene, frankly just boring. Twisted sucks and Sapien (which I found more fun) is gone. The eagle, which was my after work pool place Thursday and Friday is gone and I'm sad it may not come back. Frankly, I miss the scene back east because at least it was open to all sorts of people and was way more fun! But that's just me...

You can happily add me to the pile and also to the pile of 'gay planners in Calgary'.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 6:01 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Having been engaged to my ex-bf for many years we talked about kids, but since it didn't work out the conversation was mute. Being happily single, the thought hasn't really crossed my mind.

Personally, I've found the gay community in Calgary to be rather odd. Coming from Halifax, it's way more cliquish than back east and far less welcoming. Making friends around here is way more difficult and I'm a pretty relaxed, laid back kind of person. I also find the bar scene, frankly just boring. Twisted sucks and Sapien (which I found more fun) is gone. The eagle, which was my after work pool place Thursday and Friday is gone and I'm sad it may not come back. Frankly, I miss the scene back east because at least it was open to all sorts of people and was way more fun! But that's just me...

You can happily add me to the pile and also to the pile of 'gay planners in Calgary'.
I was walking down Stephen Avenue the other day and was suprised how many businesses had pride flags on them. Mango Shiva, Cafe Rosso and another one I can't recall. I miss the venue back in Saskatoon called Diva's... I haven't found Twisted Element as more than a go-to dance place more than 1 or 2 times a year.

Have you been to Backlot? I'd love to see a Fountainhead-esque place evolve in Calgary.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 11:35 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Big cities are inherently and unavoidably more "cliqueish" than smaller ones. A small city like Halifax with its many universities is bound to be more inclusive than a big city with more grownups like Calgary. The friendliest gay bar I've ever visited was one in Appleton, Wisconsin, and that was because it was the one gay bar in the entire Fox Valley and had to cater to everybody from bingo-playing RV-riding senior citizen dykes to underaged goth fags. You won't find that in Calgary and you absolutely won't find it in Toronto or Montreal. That's life.

I hate to say this but I usually find the people complaining about X city or scene being "cliquish" are the narcissists who are suddenly in a position of the world not revolving around them when they leave their home town. You're cliquish; everyone is cliquish, now stop castigating an entire city when it's you who chooses to remand himself and toss attitude around.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 8:52 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I know it's been touched upon in this thread a bit, but I was having a discussion with my gf who is from Toronto, where most of her male friends were gay and part of the theatre scene. Anyway, she was lamenting (perhaps that's too strong of a word) the lack of a gay village in Calgary, and I was trying to articulate why there isn't one here, but without much success. I was curious what your thoughts are. Mine are that in a lot of cities the establishment of such might have also been a gentrification exercise, and Calgary tends to bulldoze areas before they get to the point of badly needing gentrification, but that's probably only one small part of it. Was Calgary simply too small during the era when these villages sprung up, and once it got big enough the need for one wasn't as urgent due to changing attitudes?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 8:59 PM
Great White Norf

a bit off topic but may be of interest

I recommend anyone interested in documentaries to check this one out about the AIDS epidemic. As someone born in 1981, I didn't know hardly anything about the history and the struggle. I saw it last night with my friend and his girlfriend.

Now playing at The Plaza theatre in Kensington

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 9:56 PM
Here and There

Im going to be snooki here for a sec, but that video trailer made, me happy, sad, angry and even almost have a lil' cry. When it feels like you have no future, life can seem pointless.

Thank god i got out of that rut! A big thanks to the people who struggled to show people that gay people are not a disease.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
I was walking down Stephen Avenue the other day and was suprised how many businesses had pride flags on them. Mango Shiva, Cafe Rosso and another one I can't recall. I miss the venue back in Saskatoon called Diva's... I haven't found Twisted Element as more than a go-to dance place more than 1 or 2 times a year.

Have you been to Backlot? I'd love to see a Fountainhead-esque place evolve in Calgary.
I agree with you - I've been surprised how many showed up on Steven avenue, but I suspect that's been because the pride parade moved to that route some time ago. Although the route the past 2 years (starting at Olympic Plaza and going to the Mewatta) is a lot better than ending at Olympic Plaza. The parade outgrew that area a long time ago.

I've been to backlot, but it's such a small space that if you aren't there early you are screwed for seating. I'm a person that likes my space, which is why I loved the eagle. It wasn't crowded and my friend Ryan and I could play pool without much problem. We were lamenting about that when I had him over for dinner the other night.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 5:36 AM
Vancouver Moderator

O.o There is no thread like this in the Vancouver section for some reason

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
O.o There is no thread like this in the Vancouver section for some reason
You just made my day.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 8:59 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Vancouver clearly does not have a significant gay population.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation