HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 29, 2023, 2:05 PM

^ The second phase has changed the orientation of that building from very vertical to very horizontal, almost bunker like. Somehow it has lost a bit of the skyline punch that it had before.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2023, 2:17 PM
There is always a way

Not much skyline punch, buuuuuuuuut, look what’s been happening at bison drive. Eventually, there will be some actual vertical development. The amount of new units right on pembina that have gone up in the last 10 years is staggering. Could you imagine if they had managed to put an LRT line along pembina (something grade separated)? That stretch would be even more intense, and none of that dogleg bullshit, only putting the transit where it is already needed. Terminus at UofM, terminus at union station or somewhere further north ish.

The point is that pembina at jubilee and closer to UofM is gonna keep going gang busters and I’d be willing to bet we continue seeing even more large scale developments humming along in the next little while. Maybe that master plan for the golf course lands isn’t so pie in the sky after all.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 29, 2023, 2:22 PM

^ Funny that you mention Bison Drive, I had occasion to drop into the Superstore there late on Tuesday evening and I was amazed to see the pedestrian activity along Pembina. Just a large amount of people walking around, getting on and off buses, going places. It was strange but nice to see so many people walking around an area that was so heavily car centric... I never saw anywhere near that many people walking the streets of Pembina when I was a U of M student. The character of the area is certainly changing and hopefully we'll see that happen closer to Pembina and Jubilee too.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2023, 4:38 PM

Don’t mind the more horizontal orientation because when you’re walking on that sidewalk the scale will be felt.

6-8 stories is imo the sweet spot for building heights because you get a bit of a human scale but it’s still quite imposing.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Funny that you mention Bison Drive, I had occasion to drop into the Superstore there late on Tuesday evening and I was amazed to see the pedestrian activity along Pembina. Just a large amount of people walking around, getting on and off buses, going places. It was strange but nice to see so many people walking around an area that was so heavily car centric... I never saw anywhere near that many people walking the streets of Pembina when I was a U of M student. The character of the area is certainly changing and hopefully we'll see that happen closer to Pembina and Jubilee too.
Winnipeg is growing more than it has in decades so that finding does not surprise me. We are in the Metro region, nearing the 900,000 population mark.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 1:02 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Don’t mind the more horizontal orientation because when you’re walking on that sidewalk the scale will be felt.

6-8 stories is imo the sweet spot for building heights because you get a bit of a human scale but it’s still quite imposing.
Yeah that’s why Paris is filled with 6-8 storey places, it makes sense on a human scale, but is also really dense!
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 11:39 PM

The Point: final exterior wall panels in place.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 1:17 AM

The Point.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 2:57 PM

Thanks for the pictures! Does anyone know how many residential and commercial units the building will have?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 3:20 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ 76 Units, not sure about CRU's
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^ 76 Units, not sure about CRU's
Nice, 76 units ain't bad!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 8:37 PM

1011 Pembina Hwy (former Pemby)

Piling continues. Large crane brought on site this week.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 10:50 PM

^ Nice to see things progressing on this site. Noticed the Cambridge Hotel featured in the background of your pics; anyone know what the status is of that project?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 2:03 AM

Last time I was in the Cambridge vendor a couple weeks ago they were bemoaning that they didn't think the owner would bother fixing the A/C as they were being torn down soon. They didn't have a date. I believe they've moved most of the SRO residents out, and only the bar and vendor are operating.

Curious about pile driving: How long would it normally take a site of the size of the Pemby to have all its piles driven? We've been going on 3 weeks of 85bpm (170bpm when I'm in my basement with a window open) rhythmic thumping from 7AM-6PM every weekday. I'm thrilled by the density, but the noise is driving me batty, and nervous about what the experience will be when the Cambridge condo piles start going in much closer.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 3:28 PM
What could go wrong?

The Cambridge project is much smaller. 226 units vs 87 units.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 3:34 PM

Betting on the promise of Pembina

Betting on the promise of Pembina
Pemby site designed so it ‘takes advantage of the area’s surroundings’

Winnipeg Free Press |Joshua Frey-Sam

A new day is upon the site of a former neighbourhood-favourite watering hole.

A 12-storey mixed-use development broke ground at 1011 Pembina Hwy. on July 1, nearly one year after the long-standing Pembina Hotel — referred to as ‘The Pemby’ — was demolished.

The hotel, which stood for more than 67 years, was synonymous with the neighbourhood while its beverage room was a popular hangout spot for university students, area residents and sports teams after games.

The new development will house 226 apartments (one- and two-bedroom options), 7,050 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor and amenities such as a pet spa and bike room. The bike room is expected to link to a “pathway connection” to the Southwest Transitway active transportation route.

Suites will range from one- to two-bedroom units, with most one-bedrooms options coming in around 660 square feet and two-bedrooms up to more than 1,000 square feet.

The building, which has yet to be given a name, will open for occupancy in two phases, beginning in the summer of 2025. Jason van Rooy, director of marketing and customer service with Towers Realty Group, who will manage the building, said there’s a lot to be excited about as the neighbourhood welcomes more infill development.

“Just the size of the building — the number of suites over 220 — being added in such close proximity to the rapid transit station. I know there’s a lot of other buildings that have gone up along the rapid Transitway lately, but proximity to rapid transit is certainly good, particularly for people who are renting and particularly in the south end with direct access to the University (of Manitoba) and all of the amenities that south Pembina has to offer,” he said.

“There will be common spaces and a game room and a fitness facility within the building, so it’ll be a complete package. People will be able to live there, have friends over and do family gatherings in the common room … and they don’t have to leave the building to go to the gym in the winter, which people certainly enjoy.”

Van Rooy, who did not comment on how much the project will cost, said the developer, Sustainable Equities, has yet to determine pricing for units, as the housing market could change drastically in the next two years. He did, however, note that 10 per cent of suites will be priced at an “affordable” rate, according to Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp.

Coun. John Orlikow (River Heights/Fort Garry) has been a supporter of the project since it was proposed in 2021.

“(The Pembina Hotel) was very tired,” Orlikow said. “It had a lot of emotional attachment to many people in the neighbourhood who used to go there after baseball games and go to the basement. But that time is done. The building was very tired — quite decrepit, I’d even call it — and it just wasn’t providing a lot of value to Winnipeg at all.

“From a bar-slash-(hotel) to this, it’s 1,000 per cent better.”

Orlikow was quick to note the development is “a very good infill project” that “takes advantage of the area’s surroundings.”

And developers aren’t done taking advantage of the area. A proposed redevelopment of the Cambridge Hotel across the street (1022 Pembina Hwy.) to turn it into a six-storey multi-family residential building, was approved in 2021. It’s in the best interest of the neighbourhood, according to Orllikow.

“We have these regional corridor streets and Pembina is one of them, and in the past, it’s been very difficult to get more than a one-storey, stand-alone building up in there. And that’s not what the City of Winnipeg wants, we want to have densification along those corridors because of all the amenities that are there,” he said.

“So yeah, it does continue the progress about densification along our corridor streets and so that will improve transit ridership, it improves even the visualization because even Pre-Con (Builders) has made sure the building looks nice for when you drive by it. A lot of greenage — trees and shrubs and stuff like that — so it doesn’t look like a barren open parking lot.

“It’s the way I personally want to see Winnipeg move forward.”

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 4:14 PM

Honestly, it's great to see the new mixed-use developments going in on Pembina and St. Anne's. Hopefully this is a start of a trend for more density along major transit routes. Still lots of low-density buildings on Portage Ave, St. Mary's Rd, Henderson Hwy, Regent Ave, Main St, and McPhillips.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 11:18 PM

1011 Pembina (former Pembina Hotel)

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 12:00 AM

Aw yeah trudgin in the dirt

Old Posted Aug 27, 2023, 1:11 AM

The Point

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan