HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 12:42 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
yeah i know what you mean it seems like all buildings like that built in Fredericton are plain brick or vinyl siding
Keep in mind this is low income housing. They aren't exactly big money makers, so builders tend to do it on the cheap. And actually, it doesn't look all that bad, all things considered.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 12:51 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Yeah, I actually expected it to look worse when I heard about it. I just have never gotten used to the cookie-cutter 4-storey apartment buildings in town, but I'd still take that over cookie-cutter single family home subdivisions of larger cities.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Keep in mind this is low income housing. They aren't exactly big money makers, so builders tend to do it on the cheap. And actually, it doesn't look all that bad, all things considered.
Good point. Regardless its good news theres more low income housing made available in town.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 3:39 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Northside employees want better bus service
By SHAWN BERRY
berry.shawn@dailygleaner.com
Published Wednesday February 20th, 2008
Appeared on page A1

As construction booms along Two Nations Crossing, the lack of bus service to the area has some wondering how they'll get to work.

The absence of a bus route along the developing commercial hub is becoming a source of worry for people whose jobs are being moved to the area.

"It's a big concern for me," said Joanne Adshade, an employee at the Canadian Tire store on Main Street.

Her employer's new store on Two Nations Crossing is slated to open this spring.

"I love to work here, but this is a big weight,'' said Adshade, who walks to work. "If there's no bus service, how do I get there?''

She said she can't afford cab fare back and forth.

As it stands, the bus stop nearest the new store location is at the intersection of Maple and St. Mary's streets. That's almost a kilometre-and-a-half walk, much of it without sidewalks.

Her colleague Robin Saunders is faced with the same dilemma.

"Right now, I use the bus every day," she said.

They're among those who hope the city will take steps soon to add bus service to the area.

Adshade and Saunders know they're not alone in wondering how they'll get to work.

Coun. Bruce Grandy, who represents the Nashwaaksis area, said he wants to hear from transit users and potential transit users who have ideas about improving bus service in Fredericton -- especially on the north side.

He will be at the Brookside Mall from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. today and Thursday to give northside residents an opportunity to talk about the transit system.

He plans to forward information from transit users to a consultant who is working on the municipality's new transportation master plan.

The plan is expected to chart a course for future transit development for the next decade.

"How do we get people where they need to be and how do we make it more user-friendly? Those are the things I want to find out," said Grandy, who will also have questionnaires for transit users.

He's heard from bus passengers who want more frequent service and better access to malls.

He's also heard from employees of call centres who feel it would be safer if they could take the bus from the door of their business at night.

Trina MacDonald, general manager of Business Fredericton North, said the group has been pressing the city for movement on the issue and hopes the transportation master plan will address concerns.

"You have a new office complex, the Wal-Mart, the Canadian Tire, Kent building supplies. There are going to be hundreds of people working up there. And then there are their clients."

MacDonald said her group has already met with the consultant doing the report and has also expressed the need for a northside hub for buses as well as at least one dedicated northside run that could operate on a loop.

"Right now, depending on where you are going, you might have to cross the bridge, go to King's Place and transfer to get between two points on the north side," she said.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 3:45 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Convention centre to get funds from feds
By SHAWN BERRY
Published Friday February 22nd, 2008
Appeared on page A1

Fredericton won't have to go it alone to build a multi-million-dollar downtown convention centre.

Representatives of the federal, provincial and city governments will unveil details of a three-way funding deal at city hall this afternoon.

A source has confirmed to The Daily Gleaner that today's deal is for the convention centre.

The centre is one component of the city's $69-million downtown development project.

Premier Shawn Graham and Mayor Brad Woodside have previously pegged the cost of the convention centre and an underground parking garage at about $21 million.

The province previously committed to leasing office space in a $41-million six-storey office tower to be built on King Street behind The Playhouse.

A $7-million, above-ground parking garage will also be constructed on the site.

Today's deal has been a long time coming.

Fredericton officials have spent years trying to get the federal government to provide funding.

City council decided last summer the project was too important to keep delaying.

It took the decisive step of committing to the iniative without any commitment from the federal government.

ADI Ltd. has already been awarded the city contract to design and construct the centre.

Soil tests have already been conducted and ground is to be broken this spring so the convention centre and office complex can be completed in 2010.

The province will lease all 13,500 square metres (150,000 square feet) of the six-storey office building for $4.5 million to $5 million a year.

------------------------------------------------------------

Two Nations Crossing a 'hotbed,' city says
By SHAWN BERRY
Published Friday February 22nd, 2008
Appeared on page A6

Development along Two Nations Crossing is spurring plenty of curiosity from businesses looking to open new locations in Fredericton.

Mike Semegen sees the benefits of expansion. He owns the Canadian Tire that is going up near the intersection with St. Mary's Street.

He said there are plenty of other businesses looking to set up along Two Nations Crossing.

He said the location was a natural fit when he decided to build the largest Canadian Tire store in New Brunswick.

"Access is a big thing. Main Street is becoming a tight road," he said.

There's also the benefit of the commercial traffic other businesses will bring in.

"People will come to Two Nations Crossing because the Wal-Mart is going to be there, the Kent is going to be there and the Canadian Tire is going to be there," he said.

City officials say there's a lot of interest in the area.

"Two Nations is a hotbed right now," said Frank Flanagan, director of development services for the city.

"We've got a lot of people who come in and have "¦ a project in mind.

"People are asking about the availability of land."

Flanagan said he couldn't discuss the names of organizations that have approached the city.

He said construction of institutional buildings such as Willie O'Ree Place and Leo Hayes High School have helped in the development.

Development is also continuing with housing projects along Cliffe Street.

"There's a lot of interest," said Coun. Mike O'Brien, the chairman of the city's development committee.

O'Brien said city officials are working hard to woo big names in the hopes that will accelerate development.

"We keep in touch with Costco. We keep them apprised of what's going on in the city.

"It's the same as a Wal-Mart. When they come, there's a bunch of others who come with them.

"We can't be passive."

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 7:32 PM

Has anyone seen these renderings for the convention centre/office building/parking garage? If not here they are

view from the Southeast

convention centre close-up

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 9:33 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I thought the office building was only supposed to be 6 stories? Nice building though. I hope the finished product looks similar to it.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 9:48 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

I think those are the old renderings, they were on a poster about a year and a half back which was captured in a photo-op for the Gleaner with Brad Woodside and some others regarding a completely unrelated story. I think the renderings on the first page are the updated ones.

It would be nice to see that height though, with some different enveloping materials to give some variety to our skyline.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 10:24 PM

Oh I thought they might be the old ones... I forgot I had them I found them this morning thought i'd post them.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 3:35 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

It's hard to say how it will turn out, the King St side in the new ones looks too much like Centennial Building for me...I never liked the Centennial Building. I wasn't a fan of the TD tower clones for King St either though, but I do really like the Queen St side of the old rendering, better than the new one but the new is good too...adds variety to the area. Anyway, we'll see how it actually turns out.

Speaking of TD Tower or moreso Frederick Square, I don't like how they cut a floor off Frederick Square II, they had it approved for 9. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 4:34 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
It's hard to say how it will turn out, the King St side in the new ones looks too much like Centennial Building for me...I never liked the Centennial Building. I wasn't a fan of the TD tower clones for King St either though, but I do really like the Queen St side of the old rendering, better than the new one but the new is good too...adds variety to the area. Anyway, we'll see how it actually turns out.

Speaking of TD Tower or moreso Frederick Square, I don't like how they cut a floor off Frederick Square II, they had it approved for 9. Oh well, can't win 'em all.
That's a lot of new office space for a small market like Fredericton. A lot of the convention centre is going to be filled by the province, but I think that's only because they plan on renovating (and selling off?) the Centennial Building when it's done. Add that to the new Frederick Square building, and you've got a lot more square footage to fill, so it doesn't really surprise me that they would scale back one of them a bit.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 3:27 PM

Is the second TD tower the only building planned in downtown or is there some other projects?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 3:33 PM

Well theres the convention centre / Office and they said there could be a hotel soon after that.I dont think theres anything else planned that i know of.

Last edited by xxFamilyGuyxx; Feb 25, 2008 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 4:31 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Groups fight for Devon building
By SHAWN BERRY
Published Monday February 25th, 2008
Appeared on page A1

Heritage groups are hoping for a last-minute reprieve for a piece of Devon's history.

The McFarlane-Neill building at the intersection of St. Mary and Union streets has stood there since 1882.

But the old blacksmith factory is slated for destruction under the city's Union Street secondary plan.

A tender for demolition and removal of the building at 106 St. Mary's St. is to be awarded at tonight's city council meeting.

Widening of the intersection is one of the items proposed in the Union Street secondary plan.

City council is also expected to hear an item tonight regarding public presentation of a bylaw regarding that plan.

The building is to be razed so the city can widen the intersection to accommodate trucks.

"I feel very sad," said Ian Robertson, chairman of the heritage identification and preservation committee of the Fredericton North Heritage Association.

"The Devon area was really the first community to amalgamate with the city ... and one could argue that of the northside communities, it has benefited the least from amalgamation."

Now, he fears an important piece of history is about to be knocked down and bulldozed over.

The McFarlane-Neill building may not have the grandeur of some buildings on the southern side of the river, but it holds an important place in Devon's history, Robertson said.

"You have to look at this in its relative context. When you look at Devon, there is little remaining of the industrial heritage of the community. This is one of only two brick buildings from the turn of the century and certainly the only industrial one in north Devon."

Robertson said the city should have considered other options put forward by residents and heritage groups, such as diverting truck traffic onto Cliffe Street instead of St. Mary's Street.

That makes sense, he said, because Cliffe and Two Nations Crossing could be widened to accommodate trucks.

That would move dangerous truck traffic off a residential street and save taxpayers more than $1 million in expropriation, demolition and intersection widening costs, he said.

Robertson said he feels there's been no real effort made to work with heritage and community groups to reach a different solution.

Coun. Mike O'Brien, who represents the area, said there has been plenty of discussion, but a decision had to be made.

"Unfortunately every now and then, it's a balancing act," he said. "There was a debate over whether this was a heritage building or not. In the true sense, it isn't.''

Traffic flow in the area was the dominant concern, O'Brien said.

An option that would have taken truck traffic up Cliffe Street and along Two Nations Crossing was considered, but not accepted.

The proposal for a second bypass such as the Ring Road is a generation away, he said.

"If there was another viable option in terms of traffic flow and cost, it would be worth considering," O'Brien said.

Robertson said he's heard that line before, but he points to York House as another example of a building that couldn't be saved. The city eventually stepped in and bought the property for its own office space. He said the same type of action should be taken in this case.

The McFarlane-Neill building was once a hub of activity.

It was established as a blacksmith shop in 1863 by Walter McFarlane and originally used for repairs on ironwork on carriages. Work eventually expanded to repair and manufacture farm equipment.

By the early 1880s, the plant was producing peavies, a tool with a spike and a hook, used in the log drive and tongs used to move ice blocks.

The brick building was built in 1882 in the aftermath of the devastating St. Mary's fire.

The company's products were used across Canada and shipped into the eastern United States. The plant was so busy that shifts ran through the night.

The factory continued operation until 1939.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 5:15 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
That's a lot of new office space for a small market like Fredericton. A lot of the convention centre is going to be filled by the province, but I think that's only because they plan on renovating (and selling off?) the Centennial Building when it's done. Add that to the new Frederick Square building, and you've got a lot more square footage to fill, so it doesn't really surprise me that they would scale back one of them a bit.
The last thing I heard about the future of the Centennial Building was that it was going to face the wrecking ball because of how much repair is needed, but even still, you're right about the office situation. It seems like Kileel is putting a rush on Frederick Square II, though, after already waiting 15 (?) years, and completely cancelling one building in the development at least 9 years ago (where Place 2000 sits now accross from the parking garage). If there's enough demand to even have all the new office buildings built, Kileel could probably stir up enough to build it as approved with the 9 floors with a little extra effort. The extra office space would mean extra rent revenue and more revenue from the parking garage, which usually sits less than half full right now.

I was actually surprised they didn't put it off longer because of the rush the city was putting on the E-centre.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 2:07 AM

City council voted tonight that the McFarlane-Neil building will be demolished.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
The last thing I heard about the future of the Centennial Building was that it was going to face the wrecking ball because of how much repair is needed.
I read in the paper not too long ago that the government decided to move into the new building at the E-Centre until the Centennial Building was renovated (by 2012 I think) but I think they mentioned the possibility of centralizing more government departments in the new office building after the Centennial Building renovations are complete.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 6:16 PM
likes candy

Well, what type of repairs is the Centennial Building facing, if it does go through renovations? I wasn't aware it was in need of any repairs...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 5:11 AM

I think it is more upgrades not so much repairs to the building where it is relavtively old, if they go that route

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 6:53 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

From Daily Gleaner Online

Quote:
Taking on debt
City is borrowing $107 million over the next 2 years

By STEPHEN LLEWELLYN
llewellyn.stephen@dailygleaner.com
Published Saturday March 8th, 2008
Appeared on page A1

Fredericton is on a borrowing binge.

Over the next 24 months, the city will pile up more than $107 million in new debt to build an arena, fire stations, swimming pools, an office tower and a convention centre.

It's a big change for a city that once boasted about having almost no debt.

But what does it mean for taxpayers, and how much interest will the city end up paying in the next 20 years?

John Williamson, national director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, said he's shocked the city is getting into the real estate business by borrowing $41 million to build an office tower and then lease it to the province.

"This is exactly the kind of initiative that cities should not be getting into," he said. "That is a service best run and managed in the private sector, where companies can assume the risk.

"You are going to have bureaucrats try to operate it and market it. They should not be out there trying to compete with the private sector."

Municipal governments should focus on core services, he said, including things such as water, sewer, streets, garbage collection and snow removal.

Williamson said he doesn't have a problem with the city borrowing money for projects such as arenas.

"What is worrisome here is the amount of debt," said Williamson.

He suggested the city could have built one arena and held off on the second one until the first was paid off, so it could keep its debt down.

Fredericton has already swiped its credit card for $20.25 million to build Willie O'Ree Place ($13.85 million), Lady Beaverbrook Rink renovations ($2.6 million) and four new or rebuilt outdoor swimming pools ($3.8 million).

Here's what else the city is planning to build with borrowed money over the next two years:

* the southside arena: $18.62 million

* two new fire stations and a fire training facility: $6.8 million

* downtown convention centre: $12 million

* downtown parking garage: $10 million

* Knowledge Park roadway: $1.7 million

* east end office tower: $41 million

That is a total of $107.24 million, after $3.13 million in rebates from the federal-municipal gasoline tax rebate program.

Marven Grant, Fredericton's director of finance, said the estimated total borrowing costs, including interest over 20 years at an interest rate of 4.5 per cent, is $164.4 million.

But the 4.5 per cent interest rate is only locked in for the first 10 years, he said.

The annual debt service payment is projected to be $8.2 million, he said.

He said the new east end office tower is self-financing because the province has signed a deal with the city to lease all of the space for between $4 million and $5 million a year.

On Dec. 31, 2006, Fredericton had a debt of $18.2 million, according to the Department's of Local Government 2007 annual report on municipal statistics, which is the most recent debt statistic available.

That compares to $103.3 million for Moncton and $102 million for Saint John for the same date.

Mayor Brad Woodside is telling Fredericton taxpayers not to worry.

In an interview this week, Woodside said when council first announced these projects several years ago, it said it could be done without a tax increase. He said he still stands by that position.

"We are not going to start building them and then all of a sudden start raising your taxes," he said. "I am very comfortable ... that we have not bitten off more than we can chew at this stage."

Woodside said city hall has crunched the numbers out to 20 years.

"Our spending is under control and it is manageable," he said. "If things remain the same with our growth, as it has been, then there is no need to increase taxes."

The mayor acknowledged there are some financial variables that the city can't control, such as an economic recession.

He said council looked at paying for all the projects out of its operating budget, rather than borrowing, but the amount was too large.

Woodside also said the city doesn't have any plans to borrow for any more big projects.

"I would let the public know that we have taken it as far as is comfortable, without putting us at some risk about having to go to the taxpayer," he said. "I think there are limitations."

Williamson said Fredericton's taxpayers should remember Woodside's pledge.

"We ought to get that in writing," he said.

University of New Brunswick economics Prof. David Murrell said the aggressive borrowing is a big change for Fredericton.

"We tend to be fiscally conservative," he said. "I was taken aback by the spending that has been going on."

But he said borrowing money for capital projects is more acceptable than borrowing for operating expenses, such as what happens in Toronto. He also said Fredericton can probably afford the planned borrowing -- as long as it does not add any more.

"What I would like to have them do is hold off on the capital spending after these go through for the next four years. You don't want a buildup in debt. Once that (project list) is built, you should go back to normal stuff."

There's a municipal election this May, but council's debt doesn't appear to be an election issue for community leaders.

Dale Dunphy, incoming president of the Fredericton Chamber of Commerce and chairman of the chamber's municipal government affairs committee, said the chamber supports the planned borrowing.

"I don't think that the ... amount of debt is alarming in any way," he said. "We need to be aggressive in ensuring that our city is both attractive and functional in all levels. These added services and capabilities will be attractive to newcomers and new companies."

Dunphy said the chamber believes the city has put forward a sound business case for each of these projects.

Bob Shannon, president of the Fredericton North Rotary Club and a chartered accountant, said he also supports council's borrowing plan.

"I see no problem with it," he said. "If that is the only way we can get the convention centre and the arenas and the facilities that are needed, then so be it."

Shannon said most people couldn't buy a house if they didn't take out a mortgage.

In the 1980s, the city paid for capital projects out of the operating budget, a process known as pay-as-you-go financing, to keep its debt low. Shannon said that's not possible for big projects.

Ken McGeorge, executive director of the York Group of Companies which operates the York Manor nursing home, said he's not worried about the city's new debt load.

"I am comfortable with it," he said. "The city has always shown absolutely excellent financial stewardship. Sure, borrow some more money."

All of the investments will bring much-needed economic development to Fredericton, which is important, said McGeorge.

He said he would be concerned if the borrowing significantly increased his taxes, but he would be more concerned if council wasn't promoting economic activity.

"If that means I have to pay a few more dollars in taxes, that's fine," McGeorge said. "Taxes in Fredericton are really not, relatively speaking, all that high."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces