HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 1:08 PM
-

303 St Charles Ave, Suite A·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:A2BMNB
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Loretta Harmon
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/2/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Interior tenant buildout of specialty restaurant

102 St Charles Ave·Renovation (Structural) · Ref Code7B62E
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Gregory Richardson
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/2/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Conversion of existing space to boutique hotel

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 11:19 PM
-

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 11:47 PM
-

Virgin Hotel New Orleans
#virginhotelneworleans #neworleans #louisiana #nola #concrete #concretepumping #aerialprogress #aerialinspections
#zephyrdronesllc @ New Orleans, Louisiana

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 2:05 PM
-

201 Rampart Street:

St Vincents Hotel:

Race and Magazine:

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 2:08 PM
-

Drive Shack:

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 2:13 PM
-

Canopy of Peace:

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 2:30 PM
-

1148 S Peters

111 Iberville:

Four Seasons:

Hotel Fontenot:

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 2:44 PM
TL;DR

Warms my heart to see something going up on that lot at Race & Magazine!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 4:55 PM

The Kimpton/Fontenot, for me, lacks curb appeal. I would have preferred to see more done to enhance the exterior to match the level of design and finishes of the interior.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 7:19 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
The Kimpton/Fontenot, for me, lacks curb appeal. I would have preferred to see more done to enhance the exterior to match the level of design and finishes of the interior.
Im not sure what else could be done really, but I agree the exterior does not come close to whats inside. i supposed the annex on tchoupitoulas will look better

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 8:03 PM
-

921 Canal St, Suite 1500·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:HN3PFS
Download (2) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
Coleman Partners Architects LLC
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/6/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Project scope includes the non-structural renovation of an existing penthouse suite and associated mechanical, electrical and plumbing improvements. Exterior scope of work includes the installation of new 15th floor terrace tiles and roof replacement.

414 N Roman St·Renovation (Structural) · Ref Code:748FUE
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
C Williams John
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/3/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Construction of two office/storage wings inside of existing building as accessory to Motor Vehicles Operations Facility. Change in non conforming use approved via DR159-19

1519 Esplanade Ave·Renovation (Structural) · Ref Code:X7GHET
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
E.W. Tregre
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/3/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Complete renovation to historic structure + a new 555 SF addition.

5909 St Claude Ave·Demolition · Ref Code:NNNCHA
Type:
Demolition
Applicant:
William Manning
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/8/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
This is a demolition permit application to be considered in conjunction with issued Demolition permit 20-01746 and currently pending building permit 20-02145-RNVS. The caretaker cottage at the northwest corner of the site for McDonogh 19 Mixed Use has been deemed non-contributing by the National Register of Historic Place's assessment of the school's campus and has been recommended to be demolished in the project's Building Condition Assessment conducted by Crawford Engineering. It has not been occupied since 2005 at the earliest and was most recently used as an extension of the school building, not a residence. This application for demolition permit is to demolish the caretaker cottage only.

djsnola
321 St Charles Ave·Interior Demolition · Permit #20-24582-DEMI · Ref Code:580MBN
Type:
Interior Demolition
Applicant:
William Salzer
Permit Approved
Date Filed:
4/7/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Interior demolition of finishes (i.e. carpet, sheetrock) to expose structure for the below locations: 321 St. Charles Ave. second floor interior demo, 710 & 712 Union St. second and third floor interior demo, 714 & 716 Union St. first and second floor interior demo.

222 Loyola Ave·Design Review · Project #DR065-20 · Ref Code:FLAGZU
Download (3) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
Plaza Realty LLC
Draft Application
Date Filed:
4/6/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Renovation of the upper 2.5 floors of an existing historic building with current parking garage use, and includes the addition of a 9th floor structure. Proposal consists of converting the 7th and 8th floor vacant office spaces and half of the 6th floor parking to a new boutique hotel. A 9th floor addition is inset from the existing roof level footprint and is comprised of hotel room units and a new pool deck.

djsnola
Download (7) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
Eln Enterprises LLC
Draft Application
Date Filed:
4/6/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
New construction of a mixed-use structure located in a CPC Character Preservation Corridor located at 5808 Magazine St (associated with 737 Eleonore St)

5661 Bullard Ave·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:MYAZRD
Type:
Applicant:
Magellan Construction, LLC
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/7/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Building Permit for an interior buildout. We are submitting for plan review with the city on a blood plasma center.

djsnola
501 Tchoupitoulas St·Renovation (Structural) · Ref Code:SMG20D
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Mills Markley
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/8/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Enclosure the former garage entry with plaster wall, two roll-up doors, and an exit door.

515 Gravier St·HDLC COA · Ref Code:QUUPWX
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Innovative Construction, Inc.
Draft Application
Date Filed:
4/7/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Interior Renovation of 131 Guestrooms and Guest Corridors; Scope includes one for one replacement of Carpet, vinyl flooring, Painting, Standard Residential Appliances (Dishwashers, Microwaves, Refrigerators and 21qty Electric Ranges), Tub Surrounds, Furniture, Decorative Hardwired Light Fixtures. Plumbing Trade to pull required permit for Bath Tubs, Tub/Shower Valve Body and Trims, Lav Faucets, and Water Heaters. No Re-location are Required

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 8, 2020 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 10:26 PM

I was communicating with a friend in Germany, and it jogged my memory of Kolb's German Restaurant on St. Charles.

I'm sure that the restaurant closed a long time ago, but does anyone know what happened to that building? There was a lot of history inside those doors.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 3:49 PM
-

1031 Canal St·HDLC COA · Permit #20-23571-HDLC · Ref Code:L2NWKJ
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Denise Gaines
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
4/8/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Demolition of 1031 Canal Street

Interesting this says permit was issued!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 3:54 PM

Why watchdog is urging Convention Center in New Orleans to rethink hotel project

https://www.nola.com/news/coronaviru...ddf897f6a.html

The Bureau of Governmental Research, a public policy watchdog, has called on the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center leadership to re-think plans for a $557 million hotel, saying it is an especially bad use of taxpayers' money at a time when the coronavirus pandemic is expected to blow a large hole in the city's finances.

The BGR has long opposed proposals for a 1,200-room hotel by the state-owned convention center, which derives most of its annual revenue from a share of hotel and other taxes collected by the city and state. The financing of the project, which envisions an Omni-branded hotel at the upriver end of the vast complex, on land that is currently used as an open-air parking lot, relies too much on city and state tax subsidies, the watchdog has argued.

Now, BGR said in a new report on Thursday, the case against the hotel project is even stronger given the uncertain future for the city's hotel sector.

The report noted recent forecasts by Mayor LaToya Cantrell's government that the virus outbreak and the stay-at-home order that has been deployed to deal with it will cost the city an estimated $100 million in revenue and may require municipal job cuts.

"The Convention Center and its board should stop and take time to reassess the project’s feasibility, as well as its place as a strategic priority among the community’s many pressing needs," said Amy Glovinsky, BGR's CEO, in a press release accompanying the new report.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 5:44 PM
-

The BGR is just irrelevant

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
https://www.nola.com/news/coronaviru...ddf897f6a.html

The Bureau of Governmental Research, a public policy watchdog, has called on the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center leadership to re-think plans for a $557 million hotel, saying it is an especially bad use of taxpayers' money at a time when the coronavirus pandemic is expected to blow a large hole in the city's finances.
The Lens also had a good piece on it:
https://thelensnola.org/2020/04/03/w...ment-district/

While most of us want to see these economic development project move forward, I was shocked to see some of the financial terms being proposed. Putting the Convention Center on the hook to pay for private financing at rates up to 11% is outrageous when they could simply issue bonds to pay for the whole thing at much lower rates. They need to figure out how to make the terms more reasonable, which may necessitate waiting until the economic outlook improves. I still think they need to move forward with the other components such as housing, retail, and entertainment, since those are a more diversified and less risky bet than a massive convention hotel.

The other question is city finances. There will be great need in the general budget as well as with agencies such as the RTA, depending on how much the feds allocate. The last time we had furloughs, the city was set back several years, particularly in the police department. Reversing our recent positive crime trend is the last thing we need when trying to bring back tourists and events.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
1031 Canal St·HDLC COA · Permit #20-23571-HDLC · Ref Code:L2NWKJ
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Denise Gaines
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
4/8/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Demolition of 1031 Canal Street

Interesting this says permit was issued!
The HDLC permit was issued. The S&P permit has not been issued yet.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
The Lens also had a good piece on it:
https://thelensnola.org/2020/04/03/w...ment-district/

While most of us want to see these economic development project move forward, I was shocked to see some of the financial terms being proposed. Putting the Convention Center on the hook to pay for private financing at rates up to 11% is outrageous when they could simply issue bonds to pay for the whole thing at much lower rates. They need to figure out how to make the terms more reasonable, which may necessitate waiting until the economic outlook improves. I still think they need to move forward with the other components such as housing, retail, and entertainment, since those are a more diversified and less risky bet than a massive convention hotel.

The other question is city finances. There will be great need in the general budget as well as with agencies such as the RTA, depending on how much the feds allocate. The last time we had furloughs, the city was set back several years, particularly in the police department. Reversing our recent positive crime trend is the last thing we need when trying to bring back tourists and events.
I dont think anyone here disagrees that the city will be in bad financial shape as a result of covid, and i personally would like to see the convention center pitch in more, but the convention center and the City are two very different independent entities with very different missions. The BGR is doing its level best to apply public pressure to get the convention center to pitch in more to help the city but at the end of the day, the BGR and City just dont have much leverage here. The majority of the hotel tax dollars flow directly to the stadium district and convention center. Both are semi-governmental entities with more board members appointed by the state then the city so the City really has no leverage to get them to do anything and the convention board exists only to further the mission of the convention center. Convincing the board to voluntarily give up huge amounts of cash to support the city is a pipe dream and this public pressure spearheaded by the BGR is never going to get them to do anything other than token charitable donations. Its also worth mentioning that the BGR's rationale is not exactly accurate either. The convention center is not choosing to use tax dollars generated by citizens that could be used for a wide array of things the way the City chooses to allocate tax dollars, its simply using its own revenues to further its purpose. The convention hotel cannot be a bad deal for tax payers since tax paying citizens of the city dont fund the convention center, hotel and convention visitors do. Personally i think the NOLA tourism market will bounce back at some point and it can certainly absorb more hotel supply and I dont really doubt that a convention hotel on the upriver side will bring more conventions to town and fill the under used upriver halls within the convention center.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
I dont think anyone here disagrees that the city will be in bad financial shape as a result of covid, and i personally would like to see the convention center pitch in more, but the convention center and the City are two very different independent entities with very different missions. The BGR is doing its level best to apply public pressure to get the convention center to pitch in more to help the city but at the end of the day, the BGR and City just dont have much leverage here. The majority of the hotel tax dollars flow directly to the stadium district and convention center. Both are semi-governmental entities with more board members appointed by the state then the city so the City really has no leverage to get them to do anything and the convention board exists only to further the mission of the convention center. Convincing the board to voluntarily give up huge amounts of cash to support the city is a pipe dream and this public pressure spearheaded by the BGR is never going to get them to do anything other than token charitable donations. Its also worth mentioning that the BGR's rationale is not exactly accurate either. The convention center is not choosing to use tax dollars generated by citizens that could be used for a wide array of things the way the City chooses to allocate tax dollars, its simply using its own revenues to further its purpose. The convention hotel cannot be a bad deal for tax payers since tax paying citizens of the city dont fund the convention center, hotel and convention visitors do. Personally i think the NOLA tourism market will bounce back at some point and it can certainly absorb more hotel supply and I dont really doubt that a convention hotel on the upriver side will bring more conventions to town and fill the under used upriver halls within the convention center.
I do think that making sure the city doesn't have to cut public safety, sanitation, and infrastructure is in the convention center's interest, so I'd hope that they'd voluntarily help out if the need arises. That being said, the governor can put a lot of pressure on the board if that becomes necessary. I also think it's wrong to say the citizens don't pay, because there is a citywide food and beverage sales tax that goes to the convention center and right now it's entirely locals who are paying that tax.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 2:19 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
I do think that making sure the city doesn't have to cut public safety, sanitation, and infrastructure is in the convention center's interest, so I'd hope that they'd voluntarily help out if the need arises. That being said, the governor can put a lot of pressure on the board if that becomes necessary. I also think it's wrong to say the citizens don't pay, because there is a citywide food and beverage sales tax that goes to the convention center and right now it's entirely locals who are paying that tax.
There is going to be a bailout of local governments nationwide most likely anyways

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 10, 2020 at 3:19 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations