HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 11:51 PM

Just walked around downtown and took a drive around the city. Construction sites are all quiet, as is to be expected. I hope things change sooner rather than later. I'm still planning on posting more photos.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 7:36 AM

Real Estate Insider: City seeking HUD grant for development with about 500 residences in Corktown

Quote:
With coronavirus stories rightfully dominating the websites and pages of every newspaper in Michigan the last two weeks, I realized that something fairly newsworthy was missed: The city of Detroit is pursuing an up-to-$30 million Choice Neighborhoods implementation grant through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Fittingly, Detroit is also taking some very coronavirus-specific measures as part of the process for selecting what are very bureaucratically known as a Housing Implementation Entity and a People Implementation Entity (more on that later), including not accepting hard-copy responses to a request for qualifications issued last week and doing Zoom interviews of finalists, the RFQ says.
Quote:
The vision for the greater Corktown area (which includes North Corktown) isn't as large in terms of residences, but is definitely ambitious and larger in physical scope: Turning a large swath of publicly and privately owned land into new mixed-income market-rate and affordable housing totaling about 500 units.

If it happens, it would take place over five years across a smattering of properties:

Of those, 87 new units would serve as replacement units for Clement Kern Gardens, an existing affordable housing development which is on a 7.1-acre site at 1661 Bagley St. owned by Detroit-based American Community Developers.
More mixed-income housing would be built on a site referred to as the "left field" of the former Tiger Stadium property is envisioned. The site is at the Fisher Service Drive and Cochrane.
Single-family and multifamily units on about 19 acres of property.
Affordable housing is also envisioned for Bagley west of Rosa Parks near Michigan Central Station.

Mark Reynolds on the Facebook page Historical Detroit Area Architecture posted these updated photos of 8002 Kercheval today, which is going to become Gabriel Hall creole cuisine:

I also noticed recently that the exterior of the Michigan War Veterans Memorial on Woodward and State Fair has been removed. From the monument's Facebook page:

Quote:
Michiganders, Veterans, Active Military, patriotic citizens, we are reviving our efforts once again to try and restore the Michigan War Veterans Memorial that was dedicated in 1939 by World War 1 Veterans to serve as a tribute and reminder of the service and sacrifice of all Michigan Veterans who have served in United States Wars and conflicts since the Civil War.

It stood proudly on the grounds of the old State Fair grounds on Woodward & E. State Fair and on the last Saturday of the fair each year, Veterans were honored by having an Armed Forces Day. Veterans and Active Military marched through the fairgrounds with their flags and colors cheered on by thousands of fair-goers. A jazz band dressed in World War 2 uniforms put on a concert in the auditorium playing music from the big band era. A veteran of the year was selected from a list submitted from the Veteran Service Organizations and festivities concluded with a ceremony in front of the memorial. It was a day looked forward to and enjoyed by all.

That all ended in 2010 when Jennifer Granholm and the state legislature ended funding for the Michigan State Fair and the State of Michigan ceased being responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the Memorial which resided on State Land. As a result, the Michigan War Veterans Memorial began to deteriorate, decay and fall apart.
The State Fair Michigan War Veterans Memorial Committee was formed on October 23, 2007 to spear a fundraising campaign to raise $250,000 to rehab the Memorial. That committee disbanded in 2010 when the Fairgrounds were closed, and access was denied to our meeting facility. The MDVC (Metropolitan Detroit Veterans Coalition) Led by Paul Palazzolo and Dick Chatman agreed to continue the quest.

Over the years that followed we have worked with various politicians, watched developers make promises, tried to form alliances, grasp at anything that will help the cause of saving the War Memorial.

At present the 241 Plaques that honored Veterans from 77 Michigan Cities, 37 Michigan Counties and the country of Canada allegedly are in storage at the 8-mile National Guard Armory in Detroit. That’s where they will stay we are told until we are able to raise $400,000 and the process to rebuild the Memorial and place it on Detroit’s Riverfront in Milliken State Park will begin. At present, the State has left the former Michigan War Veterans Memorial as just a stack of unsightly bricks for all to see who travel Woodward Ave past the old Fairgrounds. The World War 1 Veterans who dedicated it 81 years ago are surely looking down with tears in their eyes.

The monument with stones attached.

How it looks now, with the individual stones removed.

It would definitely be more appreciated on the riverfront. Milliken State Park currently has an expansion under construction too. Hopefully the group can reach their goal of relocating and relighting the eternal flame.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 12:48 AM

Most of this was already announced, but there's some new info on the planned renovation of Detroit Mercy's McNichols Campus:

University of Detroit Mercy Announces Campus Construction, Completes $115M Campaign

Quote:
The University of Detroit Mercy today announced a campus investment project following the completion of a successful fundraising campaign, which raised $115 million. The project is slated to start this summer and will change the McNichols Campus (at Livernois Avenue).

Eliminating 100,000 square feet of building space, the project is expected to improve efficiency and reduce deferred maintenance costs by $43 million. Renovations are the result of the university’s master plan, which focuses on improving student satisfaction with the campus, attracting and retaining students, and using university resources wisely.
-Demolition of Fisher Administration Center
-Demolition of Reno Hall, to be replaced with new student apartments
-Expansion and renovation of the Student Center
-Shiple Hall renovation
-New intramural sports field and gathering spaces on newly acquired land south of Shiple Hall

Fisher Administration Center

Reno Hall

Rendering of a new sunken courtyard outside the Student Center

Photos from here.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 9:31 PM

National Park Service Announces $14 Million in Grants to Preserve African American Civil Rights

Quote:
The National Park Service (NPS) today announced $14 million in African American Civil Rights Historic Preservation Fund grants to fund 51 projects across 20 states and the District of Columbia that will preserve sites and history related to the African American struggle for equality in the 20th century.

“These grants will fund important projects that document, interpret, and preserve sites that tell the stories of the African American experience in the pursuit of civil rights,” said National Park Service Deputy Director David Vela, exercising the authority of the Director. “Thanks to the coordination of public and private partners, these projects will help connect Americans to historic places that preserve American history.”

Congress appropriated funding for the African American Civil Rights Grants Program in 2019 through the Historic Preservation Fund (HPF). The HPF uses revenue from federal oil leases on the Outer Continental Shelf, providing assistance for a broad range of preservation projects without expending tax dollars. Grant-supported projects include surveys and documentation, interpretation and education, oral histories, architectural services, historic structure reports, planning, and physical preservation.

Source

The Albert Kahn House, now home to the Detroit Urban League, also received $500,000.

Source

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 1:12 AM

EPA signs $2.9 million deal for Detroit River cleanup

Quote:
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has signed a $2.9 million agreement to tackle contaminated sediment along the Detroit River, U.S. Rep. Brenda Lawrence announced Tuesday.

The cleanup, slated to start this summer, involves one of 43 "toxic hotspots" in the Great Lakes basin, her office said in a statement.

The work will be partly funded by the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy, which has agreed to contribute up to 35% of the projected cost, according to the release.

The effort is part of the larger Great Lakes Restoration Initiative, a program annually funded by Congress.

Last week, EPA said the fund aimed at protecting the Great Lakes from invasive species and promoting habitat restoration would receive $20 million more from Congress, or $320 million, during fiscal year 2020.

Lawrence's office said the cleanup "has become especially important" since a dock collapse last year at an industrial site along the river.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 3:41 AM
Beer Stampede

I don't think anyone meant on here that Detroit wasn't or isn't a great city. I think people such as myself are thrilled that so much is finally happening that wasn't taking place 10 years ago. I'm thrilled to see project after project taking place from small buildings to old skyscrapers throughout the city. Detroit lost so much since the mid 20th century. I don't believe that there's one person on here that doesn't believe that Detroit doesn't have what it takes to reclaim what it lost. I'm not expecting it to get back to the 1.8 million people that it once had, but I sincerely believe it will reverse that population loss as people start moving back into downtown and other areas. Trust me, we are all rooting for Detroit!!

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 10:17 PM

Projects totaling 370 residential units in Detroit resuming after COVID-19 shutdown

Quote:
A spate of residential construction projects around Detroit are resuming or about to following the state's seven-week shutdown of commercial building due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The projects are:

• Parker Durand, $22.5 million, 92 units, West Village neighborhood. Developer: Detroit-based Roxbury Group.

• Midtown West phase, $22.5 million, 26 units, Midtown neighborhood. Developer: New York City-based Procida Development Group.

• Sugar Hill, $36.3 million, 68 units (14 affordable for veterans), Midtown neighborhood. Developer: Detroit-based Develop Detroit, Boston-based Preservation of Affordable Housing Inc.

• Sanctuary, $18.4 million, 42 permanent supportive units and 63 shelter beds, McDougall-Hunt neighborhood. Developer: Bingham Farms-based MHT Housing.

• COTS Peterboro, $15 million rehab, 56 permanent supportive units. Developer: Coalition on Temporary Shelter.

• Marlborough, $5.4 million, 23 new units (12 affordable), Jefferson Chalmers neighborhood. Developer: Detroit-based Jefferson East Inc.

Midtown West Phase 1

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 12:49 AM

Work resumed at the Hudson's Site project today and, according to forumers on DetroitYes, Michigan Central Station.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 4:32 AM

Small-format Meijer store to break ground near downtown Detroit this summer

Quote:
A small-format Meijer store on East Jefferson could become the first new high-profile Detroit development to break ground since the coronavirus pandemic brought the economy to a standstill.

Businessman Dennis Archer Jr., son of former Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer, said Tuesday that he and his development partners hope to start construction of the 42,000-square-foot grocery store within 60 days for a summer 2021 opening.

The store, to be built at 1401-1475 E. Jefferson Ave., less than a mile from downtown, would be the fourth small-format Meijer store concept and, like its predecessors, wouldn't have "Meijer" in its name.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 3:42 AM

The abandoned Starlight Temple of Truth church at 421 Watson in Brush Park is going to be renovated into retail space.

Some photos from June 4th of the Henry Glover House:

Work has also begun on the Fowler Building on Woodward and the Park Avenue Building:

Source

Unfortunately I can't read the full article, but the second phase of Merrill Place Apartments is moving forward on Merrill at Seward:

Source

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 3:29 PM
Detroit rebirth

United Artists Building redevelopment gets $5 million state loan. Work expected to begin in July.
New construction at Woodward and Stimson gets $5.3 million loan. Ground breaking expected late summer or early fall. Don't hold breath on this one. lol

Projects expected to bring 352 units to greater downtown.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/voices...g-construction

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 5:06 PM

Oh my god, Woodward and Stimson, that's been in planning for almost a damn decade.

It looks like the previous developer was removed though so it might actually finally happen.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 6:37 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the updates. Living in Belgium I depend on you for news. What about the renovation of the Leland Hotel that was announced in january 2018? I can't find the answer on internet. Did they start the Pullman Project yet? And what about all those projects in Brush Park? Brush 8, Brush House, John R Carriage House...? When I come back to Detroit I would like to see all these buildings standing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossDetroit View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the updates. Living in Belgium I depend on you for news. What about the renovation of the Leland Hotel that was announced in january 2018? I can't find the answer on internet. Did they start the Pullman Project yet? And what about all those projects in Brush Park? Brush 8, Brush House, John R Carriage House...? When I come back to Detroit I would like to see all these buildings standing.
No movement on the Leland and construction has yet to begin on those Brush Park projects. Somewhere I recently read that the Carriage House project added an additional floor, making it 5 stories. As far as Pullman Parc, foundation work began last year but I haven't been by recently to see if construction has progressed there at all.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 3:24 AM

What Brush Park projects do you mean? Because there's a lot going on right not. City Modern is like 70% finished, Brush 8 should be starting soon, Brush + Watson is also a pretty large development that should be starting soon as well. This is just whats off the top of my head there is so much more.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
What Brush Park projects do you mean? Because there's a lot going on right not. City Modern is like 70% finished, Brush 8 should be starting soon, Brush + Watson is also a pretty large development that should be starting soon as well. This is just whats off the top of my head there is so much more.
I was referring to the ones RossDetroit asked about in his post. There’s been no news on those sites recently besides the Carriage House project gaining a fifth floor.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 4:06 PM

Updated design for the Carriage House was approved yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBRrot4JZYE/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 1:32 AM

Well, this came out of nowhere:

Sixteen-story condo and apartment project planned for Detroit's Greektown

Quote:
Plans for a 16-story mixed use building are in the works for Greektown – the first residential units in the neighborhood in several decades.

According to plans submitted to the Detroit Brownfield Redevelopment Authority, the $64.6 million project, called The Exchange, will have 153 apartments and 12 condos. It will be at Gratiot, Brush and Macomb, which is currently the site of a surface parking lot.

The developer is Southfield-based Gratiot Acquisition Partners LLC, which is associated with LIFTbuild, a company of Southfield-based general contractor Barton Malow.

The project will span five parcels totaling a half-acre.

"It's just a tiny little corner on the edge of Greektown that reaches out to the central business district, too..." said Marisa Varga, senior director of project development for LIFTbuild. "It’s a really exciting location for the community and for people that want to come back into Greektown."

Varga said construction is expected to start in late September or early October and be completed by January 2022.

More info and renderings can be found here.

It looks like the currently vacant pawn shop on the same block will be renovated as well.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 3:52 AM

Campaign to rebuild Black Wall Street could extend to Detroit

Quote:
A $10 million fundraising campaign launched Thursday to rebuild Black Wall Street —Tulsa, Oklahoma’s black-owned business district destroyed in 1921 by white rioters — could soon spread to Detroit, organizers said.

The effort was announced during a virtual press conference by Oklahoma’s Historic Greenwood Chamber of Commerce and is chaired by Detroit’s Rev. Horace Sheffield III. Sheffield said if successful, the committee will launch another campaign to rebuild Detroit’s
Black Bottom neighborhood, torn down in the 1950s in part to build Interstate 375.
Detroit’s Oakman Boulevard Being Transformed into $8.6M Green Avenue, MEDC Selects North End and Grosse Pointe for Main Street Program

Quote:
The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department has announced the city’s largest investment to date in green stormwater infrastructure to reduce neighborhood flooding and basement backups by transforming the medians on Oakman Boulevard between Joy Road and Tireman Avenue.

While not near the river, a portion of Oakman through the city’s northwest Aviation neighborhood has experienced significant street flooding and basement backups, most notably during rainstorms in 2014 and 2016.

“We made a commitment to the residents of the Aviation neighborhood that the city would take measures to help protect their homes,” says Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan. “What DWSD is doing here will use nature instead of storm sewers to manage huge amounts of stormwater to help reduce street flooding and basement backups.”

Detroit’s Blaze Contracting is the primary contractor on the $8.6 million project. The contractor will be required to meet Duggan’s executive order that 51 percent of the hours worked during the project will be performed by Detroit residents. Failure by the contractor to meet this requirement will result in fines from the city’s Civil Rights and Inclusion Office.

Quote:
In related news, the historic North End neighborhood of Detroit and the city of Grosse Pointe have been selected by the Michigan Economic Development Corp. to take part in the select level of the Michigan Main Street program. The two communities will receive five years of technical assistance from MEDC with a focus on revitalization strategies designed to attract new residents, business investments, economic growth, and job creation to their central business districts.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 11:41 PM

Some update photos from the past month:

Hudson Tower

Hudson Block

The addition to One Campus Martius is nearly complete

Work is underway at the Fowler Building. It's hard to tell from outside, but workers have been going in and out for a few weeks. There's a debris chute on the alley side and work lights inside.

A restaurant is building out this space on E. Grand River and Parker's Alley

New dog park at Capitol Park

Not very much has changed on the exterior of the Book Tower in awhile

Work is underway on the Park Avenue Building

Henry Glover House

City Club Apartments CBD Detroit

Women's City Club Building

These two flats buildings are nearing completion in City Modern

DMC Sports Medicine Institute

Facade work and a new fire escape being installed on Grand Park Centre. The fire escape is going on where the building formerly linked to the Michigan Mutual Liability Annex via skybridge.

TCF Tower

Checker Bar facade work

Capital One Cafe

Hotel Indigo Detroit Downtown. A new restaurant is going in on the Michigan Ave and Washington Blvd corner called The Trolley Room

Textures Salon, Woodward near Grand Blvd

Restaurant on Michigan Avenue in Corktown

Ford has renamed the former DPS Book Depository as simply "The Book Depository"

Michigan Central Station

Wayne State's new basketball arena

Woodbridge Crossing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations