HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 6:36 PM
surely you agree with me

Interesting that people have different experiences. I will be totally insane if this goes on for three or four months. I couldn't imagine spending all day every day alone poking at my computer in my pajamas. I can get lots of work done, especially because I never leave work so I don't really ever stop, but I couldn't go very long with no social interaction or even just a change in scenery throughout the day. Its like living in a bubble.

If not for WhatsApp I might have already gone nuts with no social interaction in just two weeks.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 7:03 PM
What could go wrong?

I find that even after saving the 30 min drive in the morning and the 30 min drive after work, my workday feels much longer. Getting out of bed and starting to work, going downstairs to workout at lunch and then back to work makes for a long day and even longer weeks. Even though it saves time with no commute, i find the scenery and the human interaction makes the days, weeks go by faster.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 8:59 PM
surely you agree with me

also....I'm going to weigh 300 pounds after this....no riding my bike to work....sit around all day feeding my face because there's nothing else to do as I click my mouse. If I wore a fit bit I'm sure I'm not hitting triple digits for step count....gotta be no more than 80 in a day.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
also....I'm going to weigh 300 pounds after this....no riding my bike to work....sit around all day feeding my face because there's nothing else to do as I click my mouse. If I wore a fit bit I'm sure I'm not hitting triple digits for step count....gotta be no more than 80 in a day.
Don't give up hope Vike! With the roads empty, there's never been a better time to bike in the City. And it will only get better as the snow melts and the sand is cleared. I try to go at least once a day. I find I'm so much more refreshed and productive once I get back.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 2:08 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Sounds like I have the same set up as you Esquire.

The problem I am finding with WFH is the meetings. Holy shit? What you could accomplish at the office with a 30 second conversation between a couple of people requires an email notification of a meeting, the logging in and setting up, the typical " hey Wendy your Mic is not on" or "I can only see your forehead Mike".....and these are just the short 10 minute types.

Too many meetings.....
I used to accomplish things at work, now I talk about the things I should be accomplishing but won't because I have another meeting in 20...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 3:09 AM

Quote:
i've gone from an average of 3000 steps a day to 9000 steps, however its because my kids hockey & ball tryouts are cancelled so I walk every evening and do a hike every weekend.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 3:10 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
you need a tredmill infront of ur desk

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 3:15 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

been snowing so much where i am ive been out just about everyday on my skidsteer taling 1 -2 foot snow falls got 5 foot of snow in my yard now guna need to get all the snow outa my abandoned house's yard so it doesnt flood the basement. gues ill have lots of time to get some guting done soon once it warms up.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 3:51 PM

Put me down in the looking forward to returning to the office camp. I'm far less productive here and I miss the social contact. I'm in a fortunate position as an academic. Normally I probably work less than half my time in the office and spend the rest of my time working in various coffee shops, and even the occasional park or pub. I also work from home sometimes if I'm just reading. I can't wait to return to that varied pattern and to see students and colleagues again.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 4:23 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
Put me down in the looking forward to returning to the office camp. I'm far less productive here and I miss the social contact. I'm in a fortunate position as an academic. Normally I probably work less than half my time in the office and spend the rest of my time working in various coffee shops, and even the occasional park or pub. I also work from home sometimes if I'm just reading. I can't wait to return to that varied pattern and to see students and colleagues again.
Its natural to miss it. Even just the fact of having to leave the house in the morning can be a big shot in the arm for energy and productivity. I find that driving or taking the bus helps me get into the zone.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
Same here. I also seriously miss my bus commute! 25 minutes twice a day to chill out and read a novel. Now I just get up and start working.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 4:27 AM

Some interesting proposed changes to the Railside development rules coming before council this week. Some good, some bad IMO.

- increasing actual height limit, and storey limit to eight (from 6)
- allowance for larger an smaller parcels than initially planned
- decreasing amount of public space required (it sounds like this is just a technicality and will be "corrected" to original once Israel Asper Way is transformed)
- removal of requirement for geothermal heating
- removal of requirement for green roofs and community gardens

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...onId=&InitUrl=
Line 21

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Some interesting proposed changes to the Railside development rules coming before council this week. Some good, some bad IMO.

- increasing actual height limit, and storey limit to eight (from 6)
- allowance for larger an smaller parcels than initially planned
- decreasing amount of public space required (it sounds like this is just a technicality and will be "corrected" to original once Israel Asper Way is transformed)
- removal of requirement for geothermal heating
- removal of requirement for green roofs and community gardens

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...onId=&InitUrl=
Line 21
Interesting. Looks like they're making it a little less onerous to build and a little more developer friendly.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:15 PM

/a little less aligned to their mission and everything they stand for. Not quite sure how they’ll meet their Target Zero initiatives if buildings aren’t on their geothermal, don't have green roofs etc.

Good on the height increase though.

Last edited by buzzg; May 19, 2020 at 2:14 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 2:44 PM

^ Is this a case of beggars not being choosers? I mean, not to paint The Forks as a beggar but it may be tough for them to dictate onerous terms when they're trying to get this large swath of space developed somehow. It's one thing to aim for LEED Platinum or whatever when it's a small, self-funded project, but it's another thing when you're talking a larger, more market-driven project that's more dependent on the balance sheet.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
/a little less aligned to their mission and everything they stand for. Not quite sure how they’ll meet their Target Zero initiatives if buildings aren’t on their geothermal, don't have green roofs etc.

Good on the height increase though.

Don’t be so naive. The mission is money, period. The rest is fluffy marketing.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Don’t be so naive. The mission is money, period. The rest is fluffy marketing.
From Day 1 The Forks has had a responsibility to become financially self-sustaining. I don't think they can be blamed when some of their decisions take potential profits into account. It's not like they are a huge corporation that cuts the lowest wages/positions in order to pay their executive millions in bonuses.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
From Day 1 The Forks has had a responsibility to become financially self-sustaining. I don't think they can be blamed when some of their decisions take potential profits into account. It's not like they are a huge corporation that cuts the lowest wages/positions in order to pay their executive millions in bonuses.
This is true and I’m certainly not slagging them, they are a great organization, but ultimately it’s still about business first and ideals where they are deemed fit after that.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
This is true and I’m certainly not slagging them, they are a great organization, but ultimately it’s still about business first and ideals where they are deemed fit after that.
I agree with WCS. It's not necessarily a negative comment, just that if you're looking for answers, just follow the money. Everything else is comparatively baubles and bangles.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 9:39 PM

Yeah, it's interesting that this is all just coming up now though when there's apparently already 7 projects shovel ready for when the city gives the go-ahead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan