HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 6:06 PM

Confederation

On another note, there is a new strip-mall going up in the Confederation area, replacing the old strip which used to house M&M meats (by the Burger King). Dollarama has been open for a while, but I was surprised to see another new Starbucks drive-thru going in. It looks like the remaining units, bar one, are all leased as well-- to Konz Pizza (second location to the aforementioned Broadway spot), an Indian restaurant, and Quesada.
Good to see 'infill' in our already existing areas. I live near Confed, and it's good to see more options opening up. Didn't think I'd see a Starbucks in our neck of the woods, for sure.

https://www.spacelist.ca/listings/20...nfederation_dr

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 3:52 PM
Registered Geek

Olive Garden

Tentative opening date is set for April 6. Manager hired and currently training in Winnipeg. He is apparently from Saskatoon and not a transplant from Winnipeg. He will return to Saskatoon and begin hiring staff in the coming weeks.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 4:16 PM

blah....Olive Garden may have been a cool restaurant to get 20 years ago, but it seems so old school now. I guess it will still find its "market" as apparently the Regina one is super busy!

I would like to see a Joey's come to Saskatoon, if we are talking about chains.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post

I agree - Joey's would do very well here. Saskatonians seem to love chain restaurants. I had heard a rumour that Joey's was considering Saskatoon - specifically River Landing, but then OEB was confirmed in that location instead. Too bad!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 9:16 PM

I would think RiverLanding could easily accommodate more then one restaurant, and as I understand it, OEB is more of a breakfast place?? Joey's would be great there!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 9:23 PM

I'm guessing that they're planning to have an anchor restaurant main floor of Nutrien Tower as well.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 10:10 PM

Not to make light of an unfortunate situation but there's a couple of restaurant spaces available now that Jerry's has shut down.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...toon-1.5470108

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 2:18 AM

Quote:
blah....Olive Garden may have been a cool restaurant to get 20 years ago, but it seems so old school now. I guess it will still find its "market" as apparently the Regina one is super busy!

Haha. Italian food has been popular for centuries. So in that sense, yes, it is old school. I ate at the Regina Olive Garden last week and the food was excellent, as was the service. The decor was very nice too. I am sure it will do very well in Saskatoon!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 12:22 PM

There’s definitely going to be a lack of parking in that area so I really hope it’s a high demand franchise like Cactus Club, Joey, Keg, Earl’s. 2nd Ave Grill definitely sucks as a “first impression restaurant” as Nutrien’s current main level restaurant when it comes to staff’s impressions of the downtown when coming to Saskatoon.

Nutrien’s Calgary office has a very intense gym next to it that offers all arrays of workouts. I hope they offer something like that here that’s also franchised if they seriously want to entice people to move here from Calgary. We can turn into the city of choice for a lot of staff that are looking for a smaller more family driven city with A LOT shorter commutes! The train also goes to the Calgary office, so I hope BRT is at least aligned with our province’s new largest office district.

Nutrien is definitely more Agrium than PotashCorp, and we may have lost the initial head office battle with Calgary, but we still have a foot in the game if our city keeps fighting for it (ie tax breaks, which we suck at offering). We have to remember that to the pools of highly educated talent, Saskatoon may as well be Yellowknife, and even though there’s gold in Yellowknife, no head office is set up there...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 1:54 PM
the heat goes on

increase taxes on everyone to fund BRT to afford tax breaks to a billion dollar corporation so they can recruit and retain staff

late capitalism always finds a way

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
increase taxes on everyone to fund BRT to afford tax breaks to a billion dollar corporation so they can recruit and retain staff

late capitalism always finds a way
It's that or lose them to Calgary, a city with a 10 degree temperature difference, Westjet's flight hub, and a beautifully built downtown next to one of the most beautiful mountain ranges in the world... It's called making up for what we lack, hence why natural capitalism hasn't chosen Saskatoon or Regina as head office material the past 150 years.

To make things worse, these more beautiful and enjoyable areas are the ones offering tax incentives. We could have a mini maple leaf headquarters here if we tried. https://www.communitypress.ca/busine...9-b48694b41787

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 5:27 PM

And then there is always more international firms to go after, the cities shouldn't have to fight among themselves just find their strengths and go after some of these companies

https://www.westerninvestor.com/news...020-1.24079503

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 5:45 PM
the heat goes on

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
It's that or lose them to Calgary, a city with a 10 degree temperature difference, Westjet's flight hub, and a beautifully built downtown next to one of the most beautiful mountain ranges in the world... It's called making up for what we lack, hence why natural capitalism hasn't chosen Saskatoon or Regina as head office material the past 150 years.

To make things worse, these more beautiful and enjoyable areas are the ones offering tax incentives. We could have a mini maple leaf headquarters here if we tried. https://www.communitypress.ca/busine...9-b48694b41787
much smarter people than i am have done the work in determining whether cities that subsidize things like stadiums for billionaires or "incentives" for billionaire companies see long term benefits

sacrificing virgins for a satellite amazon hq doesn't seem to be worth it

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 3:36 PM

Locally-owned restaurant clinging to survival during COVID-19 pandemic
https://www.ckom.com/2020/03/28/loca...d-19-pandemic/

I definitely feel for local, independent businesses and it's going to be interesting to see the fallout from all of this.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
Locally-owned restaurant clinging to survival during COVID-19 pandemic
https://www.ckom.com/2020/03/28/loca...d-19-pandemic/

I definitely feel for local, independent businesses and it's going to be interesting to see the fallout from all of this.
I hope...and I am sure....the owner pays close attention to the Fed gov't 75% subsidy program. A few more details announced on it this morning and more specifics coming tomorrow. I hope the program DOES help businesses like Pink Cadillac!!! I understand there are other costs associated with operations, but the 75% support (not a loan) up to a salary of $57,000 with no limits on number of employees (and some allowances for whether you have to top up the other 25%) seems like a very serious and legit effort to keep people afloat. At least a start....

As members of our community, now is the time to support as much as possible those folks that have had to shift to online and takeout/delivery services where we can.

Sorry...I never get political on here...and this was not intended to be political...I see ALL governments and parties working very hard to help us get through this. It is totally unprecedented...

Hang in there...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 7:52 PM

Just drove by Little Sheep for the first time in weeks and looks like its finished. The signage is down.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 4:57 PM
danylo66

Hopefully, the sign is saved.

'Sad to leave our magical home': Golden Dragon building to be demolished, owners of The Hollows moving on
Author of the article: Dave Deibert • Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Today

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...-51ea24063122/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 9:41 PM

So the article wasn't really clear....is Hollows moving to new location, or closing with the demolition of the restaurant?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
So the article wasn't really clear....is Hollows moving to new location, or closing with the demolition of the restaurant?
The way I read it on another article is they aren’t going to reopen The Hollows anywhere else as they didn’t want to tarnish the legacy. They already have Primal so I wouldn’t be surprised to see some other concept in the future once Covid is settled but using a different name.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 4:18 AM

little sheep was just replacing their signage. lots of places doing reno’s during this time!

regarding the hollows building - i haven’t seen a single article saying what’s going on that lot.. i assume it won’t be a parking lot. i wonder if it could be zoned for a much larger building! i’d love to see a restaurant like the hollows in Nutrien tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan