HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Vote!
PC 17 36.96%
NDP 12 26.09%
Liberal 11 23.91%
Green 3 6.52%
Not voting/apathetic 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 12:29 PM

Vote early. Vote often.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 1:30 PM

I'm voting Liberal because they are the only party, other than greens, that actually is emphasizing any investment in public transportation at all: https://www.manitobaliberals.ca/our-platform
Quote:
INVESTING IN PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION: A Manitoba Liberal government will restore the 50/50 funding agreement and tap into more than $500 million in dedicated federal funding to improve transit systems that the Pallister government has left on the table. Read the full plan here:
We've seen the PC's reallocate the 50/50 funding for transit, and the NDP literally do not even have a platform on their website.

The greens do also mention public transportation but I don't think that buying more expensive electric buses is the right way to improve transit at this point.

https://greenparty.mb.ca/platform/gr...d-communities/

Quote:
Expand green transportation and infrastructure
Improve active transportation opportunities, such as cycling, with further infrastructure investments
Encourage the creation of an intercity bus service in Manitoba
Promote the use of electric vehicles in Manitoba through fee-bate programs, government fleet purchases, and the installation of a greater number of electric car charging stations
Provide Winnipeg and other municipalities with assistance to purchase Manitoba-made electric buses
Provide Winnipeg and other municipalities with the option for fare-free public transit
Explore efficient and sustainable approaches to road maintenance and construction

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 12:35 AM

Predicting:
PC 35
NDP 20
Lib 2

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 1:57 AM

PC 31
NDP 23
Liberal 3

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 3:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
Predicting:
PC 35
NDP 20
Lib 2
Pretty good!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:37 PM
BANNED

See that the thug Kinew only managed slightly more than 50% of the vote in his riding which has been a speNDP stronghold forever!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:50 PM
the first stamp is free

^ you forgot the "Sad!" at the end of your post.

Better hope Pallister can keep the PCs at the top in 4/5 years time, or else that "thug" is poised to be the next Premier.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:35 PM

Pallister will be retired in 5 years.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ you forgot the "Sad!" at the end of your post.

Better hope Pallister can keep the PCs at the top in 4/5 years time, or else that "thug" is poised to be the next Premier.
Very Trumpian tweet sounding.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:38 PM

NDP will be back in power in 10 years max. To start another cycle. seems like we've been going on 3 term cycles.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 7:19 AM

I Listened to Kinew's post election campaign speech and it sounded like a victory speech. He discussed the great gains made by the NDP since the last election...well that is certainly a matter of opinion like most things but I would conclude it is not all that impressive. As Rrskylar mentioned, he barely received 50% of the vote in his own riding which is pathetic for the leader of the opposition party.

I just can't see the NDP gaining much traction under Kinew's leadership. It would be best if they find another candidate if they want to legitimately contend in 4.5 - 5 years or whatever the maximum length of time the PCs can lead the province before calling the next election. My guess would be Pallister retires from politics in 2 years and gives the next leader ample time to establish themselves for the next election in 2024. Barring an epic scandal, it will be easy pickings for the PCs if Kinew is in charge.

I guess the liberals are a complete wild card. It will be interesting to see if they can actually gain momentum in Manitoba for the first time in over a generation should the NDP flounder under Wab.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 12:49 PM

I think Kinew was relieved that the bottom didn't completely fall out on the NDP. I think for a while there was some concern that between a party still wounded from brutal infighting and a raw rookie leader with a lot of question marks behind him, the NDP vote was poised to collapse totally.

Kinew managed to escape that fate and he will most likely live to fight another election. By that point of course, Manitoba will be sick and tired of Pallister and I could see Kinew taking on the image of a premier in waiting by then.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 12:52 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think Kinew was relieved that the bottom didn't completely fall out on the NDP. I think for a while there was some concern that between a party still wounded from brutal infighting and a raw rookie leader with a lot of question marks behind him, the NDP vote was poised to collapse totally.

Kinew managed to escape that fate and he will most likely live to fight another election. By that point of course, Manitoba will be sick and tired of Pallister and I could see Kinew taking on the image of a premier in waiting by then.
Then the Green will just come out of the blue and deal NDP a huge surprise.

Can that actually happen?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Then the Green will just come out of the blue and deal NDP a huge surprise.

Can that actually happen?
Basically every election for the last 20 years people have been speculating that the Greens will make their breakthrough, but it never happens. They seem remarkably inept given that they and their leader now have several elections under their belt.

I figured you'd be opposed to the Greens, though... if any party is going to slash spending on highways and roads, it's them

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 1:07 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Basically every election for the last 20 years people have been speculating that the Greens will make their breakthrough, but it never happens. They seem remarkably inept given that they and their leader now have several elections under their belt.

I figured you'd be opposed to the Greens, though... if any party is going to slash spending on highways and roads, it's them
Y’all know me well by now. I should probably change my name from “Transit Geek” back to “Highway Geek”.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 1:25 PM

Quote:

While they might not readily put money into highways and roads, they might open up the door for some Canadian cities to actually make public transportation an actual priority. I think the problem with the greens is everyone thinks they’re a single issue party, when in reality, most of their platform is stuff most Canadians would support. Greens want to make fair living wages and have accessible education, for all Canadians, doing this would allow us to remove all these quasi government agencies “helping” all these poor people trying to access funding and programs. If people could just work and do it on their own, we wouldn’t need all these programs. We wouldn’t need rent assist, and student and low income housing subsidies, no more student loans, less food bank usage, less healthcare expense, reduction in addictions and crime, there’s a lot of stuff we’re paying for that a living wage, or a basic income, would eliminate.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:07 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
While they might not readily put money into highways and roads, they might open up the door for some Canadian cities to actually make public transportation an actual priority. I think the problem with the greens is everyone thinks they’re a single issue party, when in reality, most of their platform is stuff most Canadians would support. Greens want to make fair living wages and have accessible education, for all Canadians, doing this would allow us to remove all these quasi government agencies “helping” all these poor people trying to access funding and programs. If people could just work and do it on their own, we wouldn’t need all these programs. We wouldn’t need rent assist, and student and low income housing subsidies, no more student loans, less food bank usage, less healthcare expense, reduction in addictions and crime, there’s a lot of stuff we’re paying for that a living wage, or a basic income, would eliminate.
Sounds great! Who's paying?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:19 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:

The Greens went all out blitz in Wolseley this past election. 100+ volunteers apparently, and I saw them door knocking the day of the election.

Last time I saw that was the federal election where Glen Murray ran in what was seemingly a safe seat in Charleswood. Then on the day of the election (I was at my parents place) I saw an obviously panicked Glen Murray door knocking doors up and down my parents street.

I was a bit surprised at the election results for Wolseley. I figured it would have been much closer than it ended up. Damn No-Po.

As an aside, Robert-Falcon was out door knocking last week. We had a nice chat with him in our front porch.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:18 PM

If the greens want to get series they need candidates in every ward. Not just Wolesley..

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:32 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
If the greens want to get series they need candidates in every ward. Not just Wolesley..
?? Pretty sure they ran with close to a full slate of candidates.

They went for it harder in Wolseley because that is the only one they stood a reasonable chance of winning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan