HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 1:28 AM

A view of the Children's Hospital of Saskatchewan from downtown Saskatoon.

Evaluation of the aesthetic merits of this building is left to the viewer.

To be fair, it is incomplete.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 4:33 PM

Another contribution to the hospital

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...l-in-saskatoon

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 2:30 PM

Getting close to finishing, more doctors and support being hired can only be a good thing for the city.

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...n-trained-docs

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 3:02 PM

There have been some complaints about the Children's Hospital's lack of colour compared to, say, the one in Calgary.

Coloured glass fins are now beginning to be installed on the exterior. I think they will add a subtle and tasteful splash of colour.

https://twitter.com/PattisonKids/sta...55579858288640

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
There have been some complaints about the Children's Hospital's lack of colour compared to, say, the one in Calgary.

Coloured glass fins are now beginning to be installed on the exterior. I think they will add a subtle and tasteful splash of colour.

https://twitter.com/PattisonKids/sta...55579858288640
I agree, it's not 'in your face' but seems to compliment the other materials nicely...from this one photo at least

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 3:42 PM

i have been one of those disappointed with the facility failing to reflect that it is designed for children....but the addition of these coloured fins does improve the "feel" of the building to be not so institutional. thank goodness....

I have also thought they could do some pretty cool light projection on the massive silver roof/side that faces south towards downtown. Maybe even some looney tunes...haha

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
i have been one of those disappointed with the facility failing to reflect that it is designed for children....but the addition of these coloured fins does improve the "feel" of the building to be not so institutional. thank goodness....

I have also thought they could do some pretty cool light projection on the massive silver roof/side that faces south towards downtown. Maybe even some looney tunes...haha
I have a feeling the interiors will reflect a more colourful and vibrant atmosphere. But you have to admit its much much nicer seeing this new building rather than the depressing RUH. I personally wish they would have made plans to demo and rebuild it all as a new Hospital, but that takes money.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 4:28 PM

Those colours are very "DTN YXE".

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 7:37 PM

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 4:56 AM

May 16, 2018.

Not the greatest photo but I didn't have time to scout a better vantage point.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
May 16, 2018.

Not the greatest photo but I didn't have time to scout a better vantage point.

would be neat to see that type of tower crane( with angled jib ) be used for projects around here. They look much cooler for construction projects. That is a massive mobile boom crane though...rode past there too.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 2:41 PM

They better have all their paperwork in order.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4309631/b...rkplace-death/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 2:28 PM

Article states the hospital is 87% complete

https://globalnews.ca/news/4379928/m...rens-hospital/

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 1:55 AM

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:26 PM

Blah....but I guess better to put resources into the inside and equipment versus making the exterior something special...which it definitely is not. The addition of the colour fins may help when up close to the building, but really have no impact from a distance.

I still maintain, as a Children's Hospital....I think there is a great opportunity to do some very creative and fun projection/light features on the substantial upper/roof silver "canvas". These light projection "art" projects are quite common and this hospital could focus on children themed projections. Also, being directly across river from Children's Discovery Museum...would be a neat feature for those kids to view as well!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Blah....but I guess better to put resources into the inside and equipment versus making the exterior something special...which it definitely is not. The addition of the colour fins may help when up close to the building, but really have no impact from a distance.

I still maintain, as a Children's Hospital....I think there is a great opportunity to do some very creative and fun projection/light features on the substantial upper/roof silver "canvas". These light projection "art" projects are quite common and this hospital could focus on children themed projections. Also, being directly across river from Children's Discovery Museum...would be a neat feature for those kids to view as well!
During my holidays in BC i made a stop in calgary overnight at some family members, we walked around the university and their new childrens hospital, if you guys havent seen, check theirs out. designed specifically for a kids layout, they have a lego block mixed color scheme for the exterior and it looks great. like a 3yr olds duplo build. That wouldve been neat to see something like that done here. Still glad we have one though, and agree with you^^^.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:54 AM

Had to do quite a bit of editing to get any sort of color “pop” out of this building lol. Still trying to wrap my head around how our government only had 200 million for this hospital yet we were able to build a $1.6Billion Carbon Capture Plant that’s been down most of this entire year..

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a beautiful colorful bridge go all the way from the Children's hospital to Kinsemen Park? It’s the perfect place for a bridge too since college drive bridge isn’t very walk friendly and the CP Rail bridge isn’t very accessible / about to fall apart.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 2:43 PM

Great pic. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Had to do quite a bit of editing to get any sort of color “pop” out of this building lol. Still trying to wrap my head around how our government only had 200 million for this hospital yet we were able to build a $1.6Billion Carbon Capture Plant that’s been down most of this entire year..

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a beautiful colorful bridge go all the way from the Children's hospital to Kinsemen Park? It’s the perfect place for a bridge too since college drive bridge isn’t very walk friendly and the CP Rail bridge isn’t very accessible / about to fall apart.
Thanks for the beautiful picture. The building itself is quite boring for a kids hospital. So many of us have donated so much to get this built, I hope it make a huge difference. I agree on the Government's priorities. The Feds dangled several $100 million in front of the Province for CCS and they couldn't resist even though it made no economic sense. The $2B Bypass in Regina is similar, although that is real long term infrastructure that might actually pay off in the very long run.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:03 PM

It actually got it pushed forward and built and you are complaining. haha... Of course in a perfect situation I would prefer they tear down all of RUH and build a brand new mega beautiful facility, but that would never happen. or at least won't for a long long time.

A pedestrian bridge across to kinsmen? and you are complaining about money being spent in the wrong places?

Lets hold off our judgement on it until we get some close up shots of the exterior and interior. At least it somewhat hides the ugly buildings behind it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan