HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Four World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 11:35 PM
Yippie Ka Yay!

In this picture, 4NWTC has the same color of gray as the old WTC.
(Oh Yeah, I'd give this tower 8/10)

Contestant's answer: Because they have no balls to scratch?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 11:45 PM
Ascension

That picture shows you clearly how huge all 4 buildings are.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 1:25 AM
Meh

I still don't like it. That's too prominant of a location and height for it be that boxy and tame. I'm not really saying the design is bad, but we already have something similar to this with 7WTC. New York has enough bulky twins and look alikes. Please don't think I'm bashing New York, or even this design, I just think something else would be better.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 2:55 AM
millard fillmore

as someone said earlier, maki intended the building to reflect the very simple nature of the twin towers as well as to be an elegant but sober reflection on the site where the tower stands. the building is about restraint. while foster's tower has similar respectful qualities, for many of us, it is clear that maki's tower will very easily outshine rogers' tower in its design and product. obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion and there are those out there that feel the site should break new york's tendency to produce very stoic boxes. but, others of us understand the difficulty of approaching a site with such tragic symbolism. for those who think that maki put no thought or creativity in the tower . . . be careful of being an armchair critic in the sense of accusing an architect of designing a cop out building versus something dazzling. no architect simply draws a block and says "voila" in order to go work on something else, there was a clear process and justification for what was done in the design.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 3:00 AM
Ascension

^ You win the award for best post ever.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 4:39 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I still don't like it. That's too prominant of a location and height for it be that boxy and tame.
That location is exactly why it has to be tame and understated. There's enough going on with the three taller WTC towers. I also think it's a nice contrast to Tower 3.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 4:45 AM
New Yorker for life

This 947 ft giant would have a dominating presence in most places, yet it will
be dwarfed by its neighbors to the north...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 4:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:07 AM
Desert Dweller

Its ok, not as Amazing as the other towers, but it is clearly huge. One Liberty Plaza is a huge building, but it will soon look small in comparison to 150 Greenwich.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Its ok, not as Amazing as the other towers, but it is clearly huge.
One Liberty Plaza is a huge building, but it will soon look small in comparison to 150 Greenwich.
Imagine, this tower will be dwarfed by 150 G, which in turn will be dwarfed by 175 and 200 G...

_

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:13 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

This is actually my second favorite building at the site. "God is in the details". At least make sure to read about them before passing judgement. For instance, the the facade will feature perforated brushed aluminum spandrels. Sheets of the same material will also be placed on the inside of the upper parts of the windows. The effect should be dramatic, giving the building depth and a warm scintillating inner glow.

There are more design features that make this building really excellent, but I can't think of them right this instant. In any case, it may be "understated" but the design is thoughtful and elegant. Not all buildings have to look like Liberace's wardrobe to be outstanding.

-Greek Proverb

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarfor View Post
In any case, it may be "understated" but the design is thoughtful and elegant. Not all buildings have to look like Liberace's wardrobe to be outstanding.
This building would be right at home on Park Avenue. I think it's classy.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 1:39 PM
Not far from Disneyland

I also like how different this building will look at the different angles.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 4:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefigman View Post
I also like how different this building will look at the different angles.
This will be my favorite angle, the sheer wall...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 4:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Another view...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:48 PM

Not to add to the consensus but this tower lacks everything except a sterile appearance, I do not understand how an accompished architecht like Maki can look at this and be pleased, it is my impression that this may simply be a massing model. Does any one have evidence to support this notion?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
I do not understand how an accompished architecht like Maki can look at this and be pleased, it is my impression that this may simply be a massing model. Does any one have evidence to support this notion?
Quite the contrary actually...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Another view...

this is a bit off topic but looking into the reflection of 7 WTC you can see the pit of ground zero

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 6:45 PM

Maki's excellence is in design details, selection of materials, & building craftsmanship. Hopefully, the selection of the brushed AL spandrels and glass curtain wall will be first rate i.e., on a par with SOM-Chicago Adrian Smith's design/selection for the Trump tower currently being built.

I do wish the tower was 1047' tall... in other words with a Trapezoidal glass prizm crown illuminated for the last 100'! I did email him a rendering along with a very carefully worded message.

It will be interesting to see how more detailed renderings will appear when they are released in the next 2-3 weeks?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 9:16 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Can't wait for more renderings.

Meanwhile, site prep, slurry wall construction continues for towers 2, 3, and 4...

pathrestoration.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive