HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
What the hell? I am 30, and literally none of my friends my age have children. Only 1 is married.I know a couple people that I grew up with who got married right after school and have a kid or two and already live out in the burbs, but that seems like a waste of your youth and fun years to me, and they are definitely outliers among people I know.

I know people tend to get married and have kids earlier in the midwest and especially the south, but even in my hometown (Cincinnati), being single in your late 20s or early 30s isn't seen as strange. In Los Angeles, it would definitely be strange to be married with kids at that age!
Ah, being 30! I loved being 30. Oh those milestones of life. Later your friends will start getting married, and then later, some of your friends will start getting divorces. I was really weirded out by one couple I knew who were together since they were in their early 20s and then when they both hit their late 30s... BAM! They got divorced. It totally shocked me.

Your 30s will fly by, trust me. I'm 49 now, and my 40s felt like they flew by faster than my 30s. And unfortunately, your 40s is when people you know and love start getting ill/start dying... My parents both come from big families, so later on that means a lot of people kicking the bucket... :-/

Sorry... just thinking "out loud."

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
He did say "a bit lonely", not that his social milieu was collapsing around him.

I agree with him that if you keep your eyes open, you'll see that things are slowing down in your age group around that age.

I remember increasingly noticing the people who look like they're 45-50 pretending they're 20-25, hanging out in our favourite bars and restaurants. As you get closer in age to them they stand out more to you. At least they did to me.
Exactly, I don't have less friends than 5 years ago, I just have less time to spend with new friends so I certainly don't have more. I know a ton more people, but knowing all these tenants and professional contacts is not the same as spending time developing new life long friendships.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Exactly, I don't have less friends than 5 years ago, I just have less time to spend with new friends so I certainly don't have more. I know a ton more people, but knowing all these tenants and professional contacts is not the same as spending time developing new life long friendships.
I was going to say all my best friends are from my college days nearly 20 years ago ("relics" from those days, i.e. the point being that existing friendships can be maintained but forming new high-quality ones isn't really an option anymore at our ages), but in fact, that's not true - one of my very best friends now is a business partner of mine I only met a few years ago!

(We met because we owned neighboring buildings in downtown Sherbrooke; I had extra parking, he had no parking; I had my eye on his building and I meant to contact him for that, he wanted to contact me to see if I would be willing to sell him a bit of land; we both had assumed the other was very old based on our first names, which we had both seen in property records long before one of us finally decided to contact the other; we then realized we were near the same age, and both physicists!)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The nanny needs a break too sometimes! Especially if she's been taking care of 10023 Jr and 10023 Jr.-ette since 8 o'clock in the morning!
Those kids (if they existed) would literally be born with 24-carat gold spoons in their mouths, if 10023's couch is anything to go by... lol

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
What the hell? I am 30, and literally none of my friends my age have children. Only 1 is married.I know a couple people that I grew up with who got married right after school and have a kid or two and already live out in the burbs, but that seems like a waste of your youth and fun years to me, and they are definitely outliers among people I know.

I know people tend to get married and have kids earlier in the midwest and especially the south, but even in my hometown (Cincinnati), being single in your late 20s or early 30s isn't seen as strange. In Los Angeles, it would definitely be strange to be married with kids at that age!
Same here - in my circles, the "baby boom" happened to "us" (not including me yet) when "we" were in our early 30s, not before. (Educated, busy, career type people. I think those factors matter MUCH more than location.)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I have a feeling you think "boards" means online message boards.

Think the older meaning of "boards." Groups of people making decisions, like the ones in charge of companies, non-profits, etc.

Not that 10023 isn't saying bizarre things...
Thank you for the clarification. I misinterpreted that.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions