HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 2:33 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
All I can say is wow! Just wow! Maybe it’s you that needs some perspective. WOW!
You're WOWing the suggestion that some people can't afford cars?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
LOL people at the very bottom of the socio economic scale don't own cars, they're already walking or taking the bus so this doesn't affect them at all. You need some perspective.
Because buses are fuelled by positive thoughts and rainbows?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Because buses are fuelled by positive thoughts and rainbows?
Of course not, but a carbon tax has a far lesser effect on someone who can't afford a car than someone who can. Some here have incorrectly suggested the carbon tax disproportionately hits those at the "very bottom of the socio economic scale" and I was responding to that. You don't exactly have to be Stephen Hawking to figure out fuel prices affect drivers more than they affect transit users....

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 4:00 PM

Quote:
LOL people at the very bottom of the socio economic scale don't own cars, they're already walking or taking the bus so this doesn't affect them at all. You need some perspective.
Hardly far-fetched enough to warrant the "out of touch with reality" trump card
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
You're WOWing the suggestion that some people can't afford cars?
Because we live in by far the most car focused continent in the world. Lot's of space, and at least in Canada, few people.

As for me, I can wrap my head around the government's intention but I think they have no business adding incentive modifiers to the marketplace. The trend towards hybrids and electrics is strong and happening fast.
But you need to virtue signal hard and fast to win elections.

Canada isn't a problem from a climate perspective, nor is Saskatchewan. Forget per capita, how about per square kilometre? That matters more to, you know, the earth. i don't mean to say the issue should be unattended, but it isn't an emergency, and turning it into a panicked emotional matter is merely a political tool by people with political goals. Almost every existing technology is constantly being adapted to reduce emissions, and new ideas are constantly developed to use less or use alternate energy.

Considering how much faster the world is changing now compared to any other time in history, trust the natural process. It's when ideologues and politicians start tinkering that things get wonky.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Of course not, but a carbon tax has a far lesser effect on someone who can't afford a car than someone who can. Some here have incorrectly suggested the carbon tax disproportionately hits those at the "very bottom of the socio economic scale" and I was responding to that. You don't exactly have to be Stephen Hawking to figure out fuel prices affect drivers more than they affect transit users....
The hardest hit will be the middle 60%, not the poorest 20% nor the wealthiest 20%, the households comprising the so-called silent majority who are likely to be homeowners and run a car or two but don't have an awful lot left over once the bills are paid, esp. those in the bottom half of this group. An extra $15 or $20 a month to heat the home, $15 a month more for gas, more for groceries, it seems like small amounts of money but it adds up quickly. It'll be even worse for people living in rural areas as the extra 10% for the rebate will not nearly cover their additional expenses. Ever shopped at a small town grocery store? Also, although hydro is not subject to the tax, the continual rate increases which have been well beyond inflation may result in many rural homeowners who do not have the option to heat by gas switching to heating by wood or pellet stove, therefore increasing CO2 emissions.

I have already noticed the price of groceries starting to increase, though what share of the increase is due to the carbon tax as opposed to a weakening Canadian dollar and higher diesel prices is unknown. I'm sure there will be general price increases happening at restaurants very soon as the margins on food sales are extremely narrow.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 3:10 PM
BANNED

You know this is a very difficult question. When I face something unknown, I prefer to study it completely and read a review. Moreover, the review should be as detailed as ultius.com review, for example. Only then I will be able to make some conclusions. It's always great not to get some basic information but also feedback or something.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan