HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 8:43 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Smile NEW YORK | What do you think of the new WTC?

As tragic as it was no lose part of the NYC skyline, I think that it really is time to move on from the past. As such, I think that while not a iconic design, the new WTC that is currently under construction is the best choice for New York.

I loved the Twin Towers as much as anyone, but architecturally, they weren't that great. Yes, they were efficient, but from the skyline they were really just giant gray boxes. Now we are getting beautiful glass buildings that (blasphemy ahead) will look better on the skyline and provide the type of office space that tenants want (columnless, glassy, modern, and with good views). The only thing the OWTC had of those was the first one.

Also this plan has... office space. Dan Libenskind's on the other hand was a glorified spire. And the Twin Towers II: Do you really think anyone would want to work in those? I don't think so, and by adding wider windows and simultaneously keeping the same basic structure it makes for a very odd-looking building that just looks like a mutated OWTC, which is not what people want to see.

I'm sure many of you will disagree, but that's why I created this thread:

What do with had been done with the site?

Feel free to bring up any of the other designs.

Some pics:
The current plan:

Old plan:

Ew.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture