HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 8:49 PM

City just posted on FB about downtown parking.
Quote:
We have recently upgraded our parking system, including new gates. Although the gates will be lowered on the weekend, parking is still free. Keep the ticket you receive when you enter the lot; you’ll need it to exit the site without payment. Having the gates down helps us collect valuable data about parking downtown.
https://www.facebook.com/cityofmonct...type=3&theater

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 5:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently, according to the T&T, work will finally begin soon on the Higgins Block to turn the upper two floors into "leasable space".

Given the prominent location of this building, across the street from city hall, this refurbishment will be very much welcome..........

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Apparently, according to the T&T, work will finally begin soon on the Higgins Block to turn the upper two floors into "leasable space".

Given the prominent location of this building, across the street from city hall, this refurbishment will be very much welcome..........
I couldn't agree more. I've been looking at this beautiful building for years and saying to myself that it would be great is someone would step up and develop those upper floors. Leasable space sounds more like commercial as opposed to residential. And the new owner is called Fusion Commercial Properties.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 10:53 PM

That old red brick building on the NW corner of King & Main is really starting to take shape. I drive by there often, and they have been steadily working on it. New windows, steel work on the east side to support balconies that are being created, and also it looks like some kind of an addition on the back. It's been an eyesore for a long time, so hats off to the developer for turning it into something nice. Does anyone have any idea what is going into the space once it's finished?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Does anyone have any idea what is going into the space once it's finished?
From almost 3 years ago on page 137 of this thread...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 12:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The original plan was for a brew pub, at least on the ground floor, but I gather that's not going to happen now.

Rumours on another site is that the upper floors might be turned into a Bower Hotel property. I am not aware of what the plans for the ground floor are.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 1:39 PM

Quote:

The original plan was for a brew pub, at least on the ground floor, but I gather that's not going to happen now.

Rumours on another site is that the upper floors might be turned into a Bower Hotel property. I am not aware of what the plans for the ground floor are.
It's a prime location for a hotel. Walking distance to pretty much everything. And if they ever do a residential development on the land next to Staples there'd be more people living close by. So maybe a ground floor restaurant? A major development in the east end was rumored recently.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 3:28 PM
Random Contributor

Is the glass extension only to enclose the fire escape, or is there more in that picture i can't see?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
Is the glass extension only to enclose the fire escape, or is there more in that picture i can't see?
Looks like the brew tanks (whatever they are actually called, the big silver things anyway) are in there as well.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 3:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
They are still doing the glass extension, but I have no idea what function it will serve now. As Jonny Golden pointed out, it would still be a nifty location for a restaurant, but I am not aware of any current plans (not that I am the font of all knowledge).

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 5:06 PM

Quote:
They are still doing the glass extension, but I have no idea what function it will serve now. As Jonny Golden pointed out, it would still be a nifty location for a restaurant, but I am not aware of any current plans (not that I am the font of all knowledge).
There is a steel frame where the glass is, and it's been up there for quite a while. They are now building balconies within this structure. I noticed yesterday, that they are removing brick because there were only windows there. So now they are creating doors out onto the balconies. I don't know if the glass is still in their plans. It would be great if someone could post a couple of pictures. I'm glad to see that this building is being refurbished. Honestly, it was an eyesore before.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 8:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

Further to the above:

- renovations will start in the spring, with occupancy in early 2021.
- the space is being prepared for commercial tenancy.
- it will be a complete demolition/reconstruction of the interior of the 2nd & 3rd floors, including all new electrical and an elevator.
- the first item to be replaced in the building will be the boarded up windows.

They've been busy for at least the last 6-8 months or so planning the renovations, everything in the building is non standard, which is a problem when you are dealing with renovations in a designated heritage building. Every single window in the building (all 60 of them) were a different size for example.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 11:12 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Just fix the windows! Everything else is just gravy!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
Just fix the windows! Everything else is just gravy!
New windows would look good, at least it would look like the building is showing signs of life. Currently it looks pretty bad with all the plywood in the windows. Two floors of extra downtown workers will be great for lunch time & after work business as well. I wish the developers well, it's all good.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
City just posted on FB about downtown parking.

https://www.facebook.com/cityofmonct...type=3&theater
Interesting...but the Ashford parking lot still sits 75% empty (or was last weekend)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote from CBC report last Sept. after Ashford Group made the big downtown purchase:
"I see opportunity," Jim Dixon, a principal with Ashford and its chief financial officer, said as he stood in the parking lot behind the jail. He described a vision of more retail, restaurants, office space and residential units on top.

He pointed to FiveFive Queen, an eight-story building with retail, restaurants, condos and a small hotel, as an example of what he sees as possible.

He said addressing downtown parking will be a priority, and there's the possibility of using the eastern portion of the land along Downing Street for the city's plan for a new market.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
From almost 3 years ago on page 137 of this thread...

I saw this morning that the black vertical studs are now in place to hold the glass. Looking at the picture it looks like there are going to be stairs inside the glass. Also the orange tarp that was on the front of the building is gone. The large glass windows on the front are now in place as well as the doors on either side. And there has been a lot of work to repair the bricks which were in rough shape.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I saw this morning that the black vertical studs are now in place to hold the glass. Looking at the picture it looks like there are going to be stairs inside the glass. Also the orange tarp that was on the front of the building is gone. The large glass windows on the front are now in place as well as the doors on either side. And there has been a lot of work to repair the bricks which were in rough shape.
It looks like the glass area is only gonna be a small staircase now. It doesn’t span half the side of the building, just a small area in the centre.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 3:30 PM

Anyone else noticed the constant presence of a private security team (2 vehicles) which always seems to be hanging around the Avenir, VIA Rail, Shoppers and primary Sobeys area? And no, they are not the parking police when events are on because they are there during quiet nights. I see them every time I go to Sobeys during the evenings. They're parked randomly in all areas, idling their vehicles, watching and waiting.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
It looks like the glass area is only gonna be a small staircase now. It doesn’t span half the side of the building, just a small area in the centre.
Yes, good point. Driving by this morning I was stopped at the lights so I could get a good look at this side of the building. I don't think there will be stairs because the balconies completely fill out the area of the steel structure. It looks like there will be doors leading out to the balconies. Also they've constructed an extension of some kind at the back of the building. It's an interesting project. A big improvement over the eyesore that the building was before. Especially in this prominent location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces