HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 11:48 AM

Surprisingly, traffic delays in Utah down/Projects to ease road congestion have paid off

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...211299,00.html

Traffic delays in the Salt Lake Valley decreased during the 10-year period from 1995 to 2005 - - a sharp contrast to other urban areas across the nation, according to a report released Tuesday.

Deseret Morning News graphic

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 6:35 PM
Exit 298

I must give props to Utah. For what little money we've got, I must say that (Salt Lake at least) has some really good wide east-west roads, and a decent level of north south movement. They may not be the most efficient at spending tax dollars, but they don't do half bad.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 7:26 PM

I have to agree with you 215. I'm always lamenting the conditions of many of the surface streets in and around L.A. I love Los Angeles,but for such a mild climate you would think the streets would be in a lot better condition. Along the Wasatch the streets are maintained better and there a lot more of them per capita. It also amazes me how much more forward people in Utah are about mass transit at this population stage of the game.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 11:59 PM
Desert Dweller

Regarding the stats, does anyone think the gawdawful eight-year freeway rebuild caused the delays in '95 and '00? I agree that the freeways flow and mass transit is fantastic in the SL valley, but driving on side streets is sure heckish, especially going west in WJ or WVC.

Cheers to continuous improvement and mass transit!
Jeers to the horrible perpetual construction and gas-guzzling Bangerter Hwy!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 1:37 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
It also amazes me how much more forward people in Utah are about mass transit at this population stage of the game.
It wasn't always so. Before they built light rail, many in the state did not want to have there tax dollars spent on it and tried to fight it. Then it was built and Utahns seem to be in love with anything mass transit.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 12:20 PM

Frontrunner Warms Up

Utah Transit Authority began testing its new Frontrunner commuter rail trains as the agency prepares to open the Weber County to Salt Lake City line in April. The trains are tested at varying speeds, beginning at 5 mph and building to a maximum speed of 79 mph. (Francisco Kjolseth/The Salt Lake Tribune)

http://www.sltrib.com/davis/ci_6948929

Representatives of the Utah Transit Authority said the agency is on schedule to debut Frontrunner, a commuter rail system spanning 44 miles, in April. Testing of the track, trains and operators has begun and will continue through opening day...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 11:32 AM

UTA on track for U.S. funds - Five Major Projects on line to begin by next year

TRAX, Salt Lake City

The Utah Transit Authority said Monday it has signed a letter of intent with the federal government to fund 20 percent of the cost to build four new light-rail lines and commuter rail to Provo.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...212929,00.html

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 12:59 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

That is great news. I like that fact that they will be working on more than one line at a time.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 3:22 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Mayoral candidates oppose proposed 600 West TRAX bridge

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_6992319

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 2:16 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
UTA on track for U.S. funds - Five Major Projects on line to begin by next year

TRAX, Salt Lake City

The Utah Transit Authority said Monday it has signed a letter of intent with the federal government to fund 20 percent of the cost to build four new light-rail lines and commuter rail to Provo.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...212929,00.html

Pretty much the same article today in the Trib but it states estimated completion dates for all lines. A goal of all five lines being complete by 2015. That is fantastic.
"If that schedule holds, the mid-Jordan and West Valley lines, and the commuter rail extension from Salt Lake City to Provo, could be finished by 2012. The airport line and Draper extension could be done by 2013 or 2014, Saley said. "We've committed to have all the lines done by 2015. If it goes faster, that's certainly our goal," he said."

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_7001472

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 2:18 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Opps double post

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 2:19 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Opps again

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Mayoral candidates oppose proposed 600 West TRAX bridge

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_6992319
Glad to see this, alot of good things have been happening along 600 West in the right direction. It would be a shame to put a viaduct over the neighborhood and spoil so much of what is being done.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 4:39 PM

I think 4th west is the best option. It will give people a chance to head straight downtown from the airport. It also allows a possible direct tie in with a future light rail line from Davis County.

Current planning is that the line would run from the Farmington station through Davis County. The only part that I know is static is the southern end would run along highway 89, split along Beck street and then stay on 4th South and continue to the Intermodal Hub.

The northern end is still being planned.

I also like the idea of redoing the North Temple viaduct and adding light rail down the center of it.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 9:27 PM

Is there any maps showing the routes of the new light rail lines being built? Are they all new lines or extensions?

I'm not from or familiar with the area, im just curious, and I have been having a hard time finding any information

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 9:46 PM

one is an extension of a current line (Draper). 3 are new lines that will connect in with the existing lines. Well actually the airport line is an extension as well, so two extentions and 2 new lines (mid-Jordan and West Valley). There is info about them on www.rideuta.com

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 3:54 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

South Salt Lakers favor streetcar link

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_7011989

I like the streetcare/trolley idea. I think that would give the corridor a nice feel to it, despite the raping of sugarhouse that is about to occur.

I think it could stop nearly every block of close to it. Stops at Main (this would be great for that condo devlopment on Main and 21 st) again at State (great for the new proposed development there), and then maybe ever other block 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and end at McClelland by the new granite block, or possibly even every block, I'm still up in the air if I like a mid block stop ex 650 E. or closer to the road 690 E.

A nice walking/biking path could be incorporated with the streetcar and some green space. This could connect to the green space that will be connecting Sugar House park to the nature area behind Sugar House Commons.

I think they could work it so that it is a single track except across the streets where they could have two sets, in order to run East and West at the same time.

I can picture it, a nice east west connector via, transit, walking/biking, green space, commercial and residential.

I'm not totally opposed to BRT but I think the streetcar or trolley would give it a much better feel. Maybe they could round up some of the old Trolleys from the old Trolley system in the city. Now that would be a nice touch.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 11:57 AM

Bridge Work - Abridge too far? Not this one

Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret Morning News
Dustin Green, right, and Mike Kay work on 4500 South bridge that will span I-215. The bridge will be in place at end of October.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...213885,00.html

Near the offramp to 4500 South is a massive structure. Men in hard hats have been building it for the past four months, and it almost looks as if it were a concrete launch ramp to nowhere...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 12:21 PM

Draper transit an act of balance

http://www.sltrib.com/southvalley/ci_7083357

City officials and residents alike want the traffic to flow more smoothly. But they don't want roads to detract from the historic value, or to interfere with pedestrian and bicycle access.

1000 Acres have been purchased by Draper City in Corner Canyon and is to be preserved as a community recreation area.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 10:00 PM

I must say, as a portlander, i am very envious of the transportation options that utah will have in the near future. Light rail will explode in the next 5 years, as well as commuter rail--add to that the excellent freeway system and you guys will have the complete package. I just hope people will take advantage of the rail and use it, alot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West