HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54dse1a7Kio

PS: How do you embed videos?
I get what your laying down, I up you the same carpet salesman from Federal way and see if you agree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IojbTSANqQo

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 3:10 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I spent much of my youth between Ontario and Atlantic Canada. In the Maritimes the program Dick Stacey's Country Jamboree was hugely popular.

I think it was on WBLZ in Bangor, Maine but was carried by all of the cable companies in NB, PEI, NS and NL. If I recall many if not most of the advertisers were Canadian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQnHsfJeLpY

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I often explain to people that Watertown NY is like the Kapuskasing of the United States.

Syracuse is like Sudbury.
OMG Bang on!. Upstate NY has a Lot of parallels with Northern Ontario..Same vibe..Although, I would say that small town Northern Ontario is more culturally diverse..Finns, Italians, Eastern Europeans, French....True story..When Wal Mart originally moved into Canada, they had to change their buying for the more fashion conscious small town Canada...Largely because of the French influence I'm sure.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
OMG Bang on!. Upstate NY has a Lot of parallels with Northern Ontario..Same vibe..Although, I would say that small town Northern Ontario is more culturally diverse..Finns, Italians, Eastern Europeans, French....True story..When Wal Mart originally moved into Canada, they had to change their buying for the more fashion conscious small town Canada...Largely because of the French influence I'm sure.
I didn't realize that Northern Ontario was home to so many fashionable "French" people, not to mention the ever-classy Eastern Europeans and Italian peasantry. At least I now understand why Walmart is so fashion forward up here.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I didn't realize that Northern Ontario was home to so many fashionable "French" people, not to mention the ever-classy Eastern Europeans and Italian peasantry. At least I now understand why Walmart is so fashion forward up here.
The scene between classes in the halls of Timmins Regional Secondary School:

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 4:02 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post

Quebecer's have an obsession with the Jersey Shore. So many go down there, that when I said I was from Canada, the response was always "ohhh and you speak English".
I don't know that it's obsessive but sure it's a relatively popular place to go in the summer.

For all we know there may be more Anglo-Canadians than Quebecers that go there but they often totally blend in with Americans (something that's very noticeable) whereas the Quebecers stand out more as foreigners and therefore take up most of the ''Canadian'' visibility headspace of Americans in certain regions.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 4:06 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Assuming this is true it could simply be a question of adapting to different tastes.

French Canadians in my observation tend to like clothes that have style, are often flashy, but are also inexpensive, and they don't care so much about specific brand names.

The overall look is way more important than the brand name.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The scene between classes in the halls of Timmins Regional Secondary School:

Are you sure that's not the queue at the Service Ontario kiosk in Hearst?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 4:24 AM

skimmed

BC, lower mainland has a lot of ties to its washington states neighbours, the place i used to work 3 people in my department all owned property or homes at Mt Baker and according to them it was a majority of canadian owners and similiar where a lot of washington state residents own property/homes in whistler, the sunshine coast, the gulf islands and vancouver island.

my friend used to go camping all the time across the border growing up, as a lot of churches in the lower mainland/fraser valley have ties across the border and they had camps on the US side.

there were also quite a few people who were from vancouver and dated someone in seattle, eventually in the cases i know the seattle people moved to vancouver.

The largest town across the border bellingham has a TV station based out of bellingham but aimed at the vancouver area as it has an office in vancouver and most of the commercials are for vancouver area businesses, before vancouver;s radio scene bloomed, think 80's early 90's there were a couple stations based out of bellingham that targeted vancouver listeners.

even today there is a punjabi radio station based in wa state that caters to vancouver i believe it was done as it was easier to set up a station there instead of inside of canada.

Now in alberta i feel miles away from the border as i am lol, but an old coworker was from nova scotia, she dated a born and raised southern albertan and he and I always seemed to know so much more about the states than we did of anyting east of here where as she knew nothing of the states it just wasn't something she couldn't relate to the way we did, as we grew up going to the states often and could talk about american things like restaurant chains or stores we had both been to and knew about

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 6:13 AM

Yeah, NS is pretty cut off from the States because we don't actually border them. There is a noticeable absence of major American chains like 7/11 and Safeway, vehicles are probably split about half American half "overseas" brands. Growing up we tended to get TV stations from Boston (generally good, high-quality stuff), WTBS Atlanta (also good), Detroit (ok, I remember PBS-D seeming "worse" than PBS-Boston even as a kid though), and FOX Rochester, which was the worst. Exactly as others have described it. All of the show times would be off by an hour because the Atlantic time zone doesn't exist in the US.

A lot of people here have been to Florida at least once, and many have family in Massachusetts, NY and California. The Midwest seems vaguely exotic in a very Capital-A American way and occasionally people will go somewhere like Chicago on vacation (but normally after having been to Toronto and Montreal several times each). NYC, DC, and Vegas are also relatively popular vacation/tourist spots. The Great Plains, South, and Southwest all seem very foreign, both environmentally and culturally. Maine is a pretty popular place for ski trips and many people have been to Boston but I know very few people here who have been anywhere else in New England. American pro sports are generally very popular here (although most NHL support is for Canadian teams). There is a definite preference for Canadian artists in certain music genres recently (I'm not sure if this is a national phenomenon or not).

The interesting thing is that a lot of American tourists come here but they tend to be from different parts of the States: NJ and the Southwest/Texas seem to be big ones for cruise ship passengers. So there's kind of this triple impression that a lot of people here have: the Americans that you see in the media, the ones you meet when you go to the States, and the ones who come here (and stand out as obviously being tourists). There are also business relationships between Halifax and different parts of the states that I can't really pretend to understand, but I would guess that probably accounts for the majority of transborder travel out of NS. There's a seasonal ferry between NS and Maine, and year-round direct flights to about half a dozen major American cities. A lot of Americans also have cottages on the South Shore and anchor their boats in Halifax or other nearby ports. I also had friends at Dal who were from Connecticut, Maine and New Hampshire, and as far as I know they all stayed after graduation.

I guess to sum it up, people here are generally most familiar with the Coastal areas of the states, the biggest Midwest/Southwest cities, see America as a wholly foreign country, and tend to be slightly prejudiced against Americans because of the dumb tourists that flood the city during cruise ship season.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 7:16 AM

Alberta's relationship with Montana seems pretty minimal, especially from Calgary northwards (where the majority of us live). I know Kalispell, MT is at least somewhat popular (probably more so in the South) and recall seeing more Alberta plates there than Montana plates. The Montana border is a long drive away from Edmonton though, and as a result, many people here haven't been to Montana or other nearby states like Idaho and Wyoming. There's almost a reversal of the trend of Canadians heading south, where Americans head north and Calgary is the closest big city.

I'd say Albertans have stronger ties to the Southwestern states than those right across the border. Many people own or rent property in the Phoenix area especially and fly down often for vacations or to live part of the year down there. San Diego, Palm Springs, Vegas, and Los Angeles are also popular destinations. San Francisco for the more urban-orientated. There are also ties to Texas due to the oil industry and many companies being based out of there, especially Houston. I've also noticed more people here in Edmonton "discovering" Seattle and with the new flights from YEG to Newark, more people are visiting NYC. Florida is also a popular vacation destination.

The concept of cross-border shopping is really non-existent here, though. Even once you hit Montana, you still have a ways to go before you hit Great Falls, which really offers little if anything over what you could get in Calgary or Edmonton. People are more likely to pick up American goods in Arizona, Nevada, or California.

Traditionally, we got our US affiliates from Spokane, but also Los Angeles, Rochester, Atlanta, Chicago, and I think Seattle.

I'd say that despite being more disconnected from the American border, people here are still familiar with the US and most have been there. It just usually involves planning a trip and flying rather than driving for an hour or two.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 8:39 AM
video et taceo

i can count on one hand the number of conversations i have had about what english canada is that did not mention the united states.

it seems that we have transitioned, over the course of about 75 years, from being "more british" to being "more liberal/progressive" but the overall moral tenor hasn't changed, only the words.

i like canada but i do not like talking about what canada is. it disappears upon close inspection. it's an unstable particle.

("well maybe that's its true genius, because of [insert postmodernism-related fluff, humanist death-of-nations hope or globalism-involving prophecy]...")

maybe.

but maybe not.

probably not, i think.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 9:17 AM

Well I grew up in the Lower Mainland, and I don't recall meeting anyone who hadn't been down to Washington State to shop at least once. Honestly I think the only thoughts people have regarding America in Vancouver are "why are our prices so much higher?" and "why don't we have that store in Canada?". Driving down to shop at Trader Joes in Bellingham once a week really isn't all that rare amongst people living in Surrey and White Rock.

I also can't really ever remember hearing anything particularly negative about Americans. Obviously you get the typical obesity and ignorance jokes, but going down into Washington you really don't see much of that. Most of Western Washington is full of the latte-drinking, NPR-listening types, rather than typical American stereotypes.

Doesn't hurt that Seattle is one of the most vibrant and liveable cities in the US, and there is certainly more wealth in Seattle than Vancouver. It's also homegrown new wealth from innovative companies, rather than foreign money. On the other hand, if you crossed the border into the ghettos of Detroit, I could see why you might not end up with the most favourable impression of the country.

Being so close to the American border, you can't really not think about it like you can in a place further from the border like Edmonton.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Burlington is prosperous, St. Johnsbury, Newport, etc. are meh (by New England standards) in my opinion. They're nice, but the villages in Northwestern Vermont (south of Burlington mostly) are significantly nicer.
It's been a while since I last visited all the cities above, so I admit I might be biased in my judgment. Maybe I will change my mind when I visit them again. (save for Burlington, which I definitely think is nice and prosperous but also happens to be the State largest city) I think you are right though, they are very average cities (and maybe even lower than average) compared to what you can find further to the South.

And I really thought VT was the richer State. From my observations, the Adirondacks appear to be a anomaly in Upstate NY. Everything from Lake Placid to Saratoga Springs appears to be rich. But leave this area and you get the opposite (Rust belt cities, Albany, most of the towns along the Canadian border) Everything I say is based solely on my observations though, so I'm not 100% sure about the economic situations of all those areas. Something worth checking eventually.

Last edited by le calmar; Apr 27, 2015 at 1:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Are you sure that's not the queue at the Service Ontario kiosk in Hearst?

This question of travel is a pretty interesting one.

As I said before, a huge number of Winnipeggers - I'd imagine it's a strong if not vast majority - have been to North Dakota to shop at least once or twice in their lives. It's the one US destination everyone here has in common, not surprisingly because it's 2.5/3.5 hours away by car (Grand Forks/Fargo, respectively) and we don't have that many other easily driveable destinations within reach.

The other common road-trip destination is Minneapolis (7.5 hours) although it's much less frequently visited. Not that many people I know have driven down to Chicago or KC even though you could do it in a day (12-13 hours, approx.).

In terms of fly-in tourism destinations, the most common ones are without a doubt Phoenix, Las Vegas, Florida (Disney is like Mecca for middle-class kids, you have to go at least once in your life), and maybe to a lesser extent, New York and Southern California. There are good chunks of the US that seem like terra incognita to Winnipeggers, though... much of the southern states and the mid-south, the rust belt states, as well as the more southerly Great Plains (Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc.) and the upper Northeast. For instance, I know some pretty well travelled people but no one ever goes to Cincinnati, Birmingham, Little Rock or Louisville.

I don't think Winnipeg has a singular dominant business destination in the US the way that Calgary has Houston or Toronto has NY. Minneapolis, Chicago and NY are probably the major ones, although we don't have flights to the latter.

Not many Americans make it out here other than people within a few hours' drive who come for the weekend. You get a fair number of hunters and fishers who stop here (many lodges are owned by, and cater exclusively to Americans), and a good number of American eco-tourists stop on their way to Churchill, but that's about it.

On the whole I'd say that the perceptions of Americans are pretty good here... if only because the neighbouring states seem exactly like here, if quite a bit less ethnically diverse as North Dakota is.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Alberta's relationship with Montana seems pretty minimal, especially from Calgary northwards (where the majority of us live). I know Kalispell, MT is at least somewhat popular (probably more so in the South) and recall seeing more Alberta plates there than Montana plates. The Montana border is a long drive away from Edmonton though, and as a result, many people here haven't been to Montana or other nearby states like Idaho and Wyoming. There's almost a reversal of the trend of Canadians heading south, where Americans head north and Calgary is the closest big city.

I'd say Albertans have stronger ties to the Southwestern states than those right across the border. Many people own or rent property in the Phoenix area especially and fly down often for vacations or to live part of the year down there. San Diego, Palm Springs, Vegas, and Los Angeles are also popular destinations. San Francisco for the more urban-orientated. There are also ties to Texas due to the oil industry and many companies being based out of there, especially Houston. I've also noticed more people here in Edmonton "discovering" Seattle and with the new flights from YEG to Newark, more people are visiting NYC. Florida is also a popular vacation destination.

The concept of cross-border shopping is really non-existent here, though. Even once you hit Montana, you still have a ways to go before you hit Great Falls, which really offers little if anything over what you could get in Calgary or Edmonton. People are more likely to pick up American goods in Arizona, Nevada, or California.

Traditionally, we got our US affiliates from Spokane, but also Los Angeles, Rochester, Atlanta, Chicago, and I think Seattle.

I'd say that despite being more disconnected from the American border, people here are still familiar with the US and most have been there. It just usually involves planning a trip and flying rather than driving for an hour or two.
Well said!

Alberta's relationship with the States primarily involves both (Edmonton & Calgary) our airports. I haven't been across the Alberta/Montana border since '95 when I returned from college... but I cross customs at YYC at least twice a year to go to Phoenix, Vegas, Houston, NY, etc!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 2:59 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Here in BC, people have a close association with the border, but they don't have negative connotations of the immediate area across the border because Washington state is quite economically rich. You aren't presented with the ghettos of Detroit or Buffalo or the scary, Deliverance/prison-industrial complex rural backwaterland of Upstate NY.

A question I would pose for Canadians is whether it's generally true that when you cross into the US, you cross into an area that is relatively poorer and more backward. Aside from coastal BC, I think this is generally the case.
"Here in Vancouver" would be a better way of putting it. BC is more than just Vancouver and growing up in the Okanagan I wouldn't say we had a close association with the boarder (unless maybe you lived at the south end of the Valley). A lot of people where I grew up had similar feelings about Vancouver that the rest of Canada has about Toronto.

When I go to the States these day, it's usually the Coutts/Sweet Grass crossing. About an hour drive from Lethbridge. To me, the minute I cross the border I feel like I'm in a very remote place but I wouldn't say it feels poorer or backward. There are a few smaller towns close by but the next relatively big place is Great Falls and I wouldn't say it really feels much different to Lethbridge although I think it looks like it's been around longer.

The other location I've crossed a few times is just south of Cranbrook BC and the truth is, the part of BC doesn't feel any less backward than that part of Idaho. Both very rural. I would guess that residents on both sides of the border there are protecting their properties with guns.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
You say that like it's really weird or something. I've never left the country and I'm Ontario born and raised.
Wow! I just don't understand how you can grow up in Ontario and live in Hamilton and never have been to Buffalo or Niagara Falls NY. Why do you not want to venture outside of the country? Being from Windsor, this is very foreign to me!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

This question of travel is a pretty interesting one.

As I said before, a huge number of Winnipeggers - I'd imagine it's a strong if not vast majority - have been to North Dakota to shop at least once or twice in their lives. It's the one US destination everyone here has in common, not surprisingly because it's 2.5/3.5 hours away by car (Grand Forks/Fargo, respectively) and we don't have that many other easily driveable destinations within reach.

The other common road-trip destination is Minneapolis (7.5 hours) although it's much less frequently visited. Not that many people I know have driven down to Chicago or KC even though you could do it in a day (12-13 hours, approx.).

In terms of fly-in tourism destinations, the most common ones are without a doubt Phoenix, Las Vegas, Florida (Disney is like Mecca for middle-class kids, you have to go at least once in your life), and maybe to a lesser extent, New York and Southern California. There are good chunks of the US that seem like terra incognita to Winnipeggers, though... much of the southern states and the mid-south, the rust belt states, as well as the more southerly Great Plains (Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc.) and the upper Northeast. For instance, I know some pretty well travelled people but no one ever goes to Cincinnati, Birmingham, Little Rock or Louisville.

I don't think Winnipeg has a singular dominant business destination in the US the way that Calgary has Houston or Toronto has NY. Minneapolis, Chicago and NY are probably the major ones, although we don't have flights to the latter.

Not many Americans make it out here other than people within a few hours' drive who come for the weekend. You get a fair number of hunters and fishers who stop here (many lodges are owned by, and cater exclusively to Americans), and a good number of American eco-tourists stop on their way to Churchill, but that's about it.

On the whole I'd say that the perceptions of Americans are pretty good here... if only because the neighbouring states seem exactly like here, if quite a bit less ethnically diverse as North Dakota is.
Minot is the ND place that most Westman and SE SK residents go to get their US shopping fix. There are also cheap flights out of Minot airports to points down south.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Minot is the ND place that most Westman and SE SK residents go to get their US shopping fix. There are also cheap flights out of Minot airports to points down south.
Yeah, my wife has family in Brandon and they go to Minot a few times a year to do all of those things.

Mentally, ND doesn't seem very far away... I know that to someone from Toronto or Vancouver 2.5 or 3.5 hours seems like a hell of a long drive, but we're used to long drives as really nothing is close out here... if you leave Brandon or Winnipeg by car, you're basically committing to at least an hour drive to get anywhere of interest. (Sorry, Steinbach )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada