HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 3:44 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 25,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
"Millennial" became the catchall for "young people" to the Boomer/older Gen X generations when they want to complain about "kids today." To people over 50, you're a millennial, too.
Don't include us X'ers in this shitshow. We were forgotten in this whole charade and no one wrote articles about where 20-something X'ers were moving to. This little lover's spat is between Boomers and Millennials with us X'ers and Z'er watching from the sides. Laughing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 3:47 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 21,299
^ there was PLENTY of ink spilled on gen-X hand-wringing back in the 90s.

"the slacker generation", etc.
__________________
He has to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 3:54 PM
dubu's Avatar
dubu dubu is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: bend oregon
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Don't include us X'ers in this shitshow. We were forgotten in this whole charade and no one wrote articles about where 20-something X'ers were moving to. This little lover's spat is between Boomers and Millennials with us X'ers and Z'er watching from the sides. Laughing.
then theres the overlord or whatever that's laughing at the human population

we are so easy to control with money.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 7:08 PM
mhays mhays is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
All millennials existed on Earth five years ago. The only way for local populations to increase would be through migration.
Ok, I'll explain the "net" concept.

Net population growth counts the people moving in, minus the people moving out.

It would also include deaths, a relatively small factor in this case.
__________________
"Alot" isn't a word.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 7:10 PM
mhays mhays is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
True. Lol. If no millennials have been born in a city in the last five years (true everywhere), then all the new millennials in a city must have moved there. Hence, the headline is correct. As Spock would say, it's logical!
See above re: the "net population growth" concept.
__________________
"Alot" isn't a word.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 7:41 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Ok, I'll explain the "net" concept.

Net population growth counts the people moving in, minus the people moving out.

It would also include deaths, a relatively small factor in this case.
Okay, we're all slow then because none of us get your point. We all seem to understand that this is counting net change in population. Since no millennials have been born in the past five years, then places with positive growth must be seeing increases because of higher inbound migration. It is possible that the negative growth is due to mortality, but that's irrelevant. Again, 100% of the positive growth is due to more millennials coming in than going out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 9:27 PM
IWant2BeInSTL IWant2BeInSTL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: STL ---> NY ---> STL ---> VA ---> CO ---> STL
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Ok, I'll explain the "net" concept.

Net population growth counts the people moving in, minus the people moving out.

It would also include deaths, a relatively small factor in this case.
i'm also not understanding your beef. the list in the article very clearly says "Millennial Population Change" and the article defines Millennials (M's) as folks born between 1981 and 1996. I only skimmed the article but I assume

Millennial Population Change = 100% * (# M's moving in during X – # M's moving out during X) / (# M's at start of X)

where X is the period from 2012 to 2017 and ignoring the admittedly inconsequential Millennial death rate. The Millenial birth rate is 0 by definition of "Millennial". What are we all missing?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 12:31 AM
mhays mhays is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,444
Because the headline writer only suggested inbound growth, not net growth. The title was "Where are millennials moving?"

Outbound growth is a huge factor in this stuff.
__________________
"Alot" isn't a word.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 2:43 AM
Sam Hill's Avatar
Sam Hill Sam Hill is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Because the headline writer only suggested inbound growth, not net growth. The title was "Where are millennials moving?"

Outbound growth is a huge factor in this stuff.
I get what you're saying. I once read an article about Colorado's population growth that listed the top states from which people are moving. The writer managed to create a narrative in which the only catalyst for growth was migration, and most of the migration was due to a mass exodus of cost-of-living refugees from California.

What the writer failed to mention was that the number of people moving from California to Colorado was approximately equal to the number of people moving from Colorado to California. An even exchange of population is not an exodus. The writer also failed to explain why Texas was the 2nd state on the list (a state with a generally much lower cost of living).

The fact is, because California is by far the most populous state, it would be first on the list of states from which people are moving, for most states (if not all of them), and likewise, first on the list of states for which people are leaving.

I guess what I'm saying is, I get the sentiment behind your criticism. Nevertheless, I think you're being a little too hard on the writer of this headline. It's perhaps a bit lazy, but idiotic is a stretch. It does create a narrative that omits the fact millennials are moving both ways, but it also accurately ranks cities in terms of which are seeing the greatest net migration of millennials - which gives credence to the narrative, even if the methodology cuts some corners.

Last edited by Sam Hill; Jul 24, 2019 at 3:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 3:01 AM
TexasPlaya's Avatar
TexasPlaya TexasPlaya is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ATX-HTOWN
Posts: 8,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Don't include us X'ers in this shitshow. We were forgotten in this whole charade and no one wrote articles about where 20-something X'ers were moving to. This little lover's spat is between Boomers and Millennials with us X'ers and Z'er watching from the sides. Laughing.


Frankly, Generation Z are the weirdos..... not drinking and having sex in high school.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 3:19 AM
Pedestrian's Avatar
Pedestrian Pedestrian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 11,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Frankly, Generation Z are the weirdos..... not drinking and having sex in high school.
It's 'cause of what they be putting in their Juuls.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 4:49 AM
mhays mhays is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
I get what you're saying. I once read an article about Colorado's population growth that listed the top states from which people are moving. The writer managed to create a narrative in which the only catalyst for growth was migration, and most of the migration was due to a mass exodus of cost-of-living refugees from California.

What the writer failed to mention was that the number of people moving from California to Colorado was approximately equal to the number of people moving from Colorado to California. An even exchange of population is not an exodus. The writer also failed to explain why Texas was the 2nd state on the list (a state with a generally much lower cost of living).

The fact is, because California is by far the most populous state, it would be first on the list of states from which people are moving, for most states (if not all of them), and likewise, first on the list of states for which people are leaving.

I guess what I'm saying is, I get the sentiment behind your criticism. Nevertheless, I think you're being a little too hard on the writer of this headline. It's perhaps a bit lazy, but idiotic is a stretch. It does create a narrative that omits the fact millennials are moving both ways, but it also accurately ranks cities in terms of which are seeing the greatest net migration of millennials - which gives credence to the narrative, even if the methodology cuts some corners.
The article is fine, as far as I've noticed. It's the headline that's false.

The headline writer's job was to create clicks, not to accurately portray the content of the article. Maybe their boss directed them to say whatever was necessary. In any case, I have no respect for untrue crap.

It's probably worth mentioning that headlines are typically written by someone different from the main article. Reporters in fact often feel screwed by headline writers. (Famous example...Zoolander.)
__________________
"Alot" isn't a word.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 3:34 PM
IWant2BeInSTL IWant2BeInSTL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: STL ---> NY ---> STL ---> VA ---> CO ---> STL
Posts: 731
^ the headline is not false. any rational reader realizes that "moving" implies leaving one place and going to another. it's just silly to insist that the author spell out "Where are millennials moving TO AND WHERE ARE THEY MOVING FROM?" when the implication is obvious and the numbers in the article accurately reflect this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 3:52 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 25,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post

Frankly, Generation Z are the weirdos..... not drinking and having sex in high school.
They are a strange generation (Z'ers)..it's like they rather deal with technology than fellow humans. Millenials really aren't that different from my own generation. They just grew up with shittier music and didn't grow up with Fraggle Rock.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 5:12 PM
UrbanImpact's Avatar
UrbanImpact UrbanImpact is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
They are a strange generation (Z'ers)..it's like they rather deal with technology than fellow humans. Millenials really aren't that different from my own generation. They just grew up with shittier music and didn't grow up with Fraggle Rock.
We did grow up with Fraggle Rock. I was born in 82 and watched it all the time along with Heman, Smurfs, etc.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 6:58 PM
mhays mhays is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
^ the headline is not false. any rational reader realizes that "moving" implies leaving one place and going to another. it's just silly to insist that the author spell out "Where are millennials moving TO AND WHERE ARE THEY MOVING FROM?" when the implication is obvious and the numbers in the article accurately reflect this.
Suer, let's say zero people moved to St. Louis last year. Makes sense to me.
__________________
"Alot" isn't a word.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:19 PM
Buckeye Native 001 Buckeye Native 001 is online now
E pluribus unum
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
They are a strange generation (Z'ers)..it's like they rather deal with technology than fellow humans.
I think a lot of it might have to do with most Z'ers in the United States grew up not knowing of a time when we weren't dealing with the after-effects of 9/11, financial/political instability and mass shootings. They seem to be (or want to be?) a hell of a lot more active politically (look at the survivors of Sandy Hook and Parkland shootings) than Millennials, most of us (I was born in 1983) just sort of react to what's happened as it happens without thinking about the long-term implications and don't seem to be nearly as tired of it as our younger brethren.

Millennials had the opportunity to do something, anything and we didn't. We're the ones who bitch incessantly on here and in social media without taking any meaningful action to change it. I see Z'ers as being a lot more active in the long-term.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:36 PM
Handro Handro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post

Millennials had the opportunity to do something, anything and we didn't. .
Like what?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #39  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:40 PM
Buckeye Native 001 Buckeye Native 001 is online now
E pluribus unum
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,552
What do you think?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #40  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:45 PM
Handro Handro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
What do you think?
Not sure. Maybe change the prism through which western society views how the economy should work and force future politicians (from mayor to president) to address growing economic disparity at a level not seen for generations? Hell, even Fox News is on the the bandwagon these days. Kind of a huge deal when you think about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_movement

but what else?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:37 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.