HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Trinity Commons in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 3:28 PM

Well, guess it's time to take alot of pics of the wonderful building that currently occupies the site. I thought we had learned from Penn Station, The Singer Building and The Drake, but I guess some things just never change.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:23 PM

I think it's a great looking building.

Let's just be thankful the church didn't hire Gene Kauffman to do the design.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 6:14 PM
testify

wow, that is such a shame. a beautiful gothic facade going down for another simple glass tower, hopefully there's some sort of reconsideration at some point, it happens very occasionally.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 11:18 PM
BANNED

It will replace a below-average building. It wasn't outstanding to begin with. :/

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
It will replace a below-average building. It wasn't outstanding to begin with. :/
Really??????????

http://i.qkme.me/15ql.jpg

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 5:24 AM

Pelli design is simple and uninspired... If it is to destroy the nice building that currently exists there, it's for something good, not something simple (another box). Anyway, COOKFOX design is amanzing.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 6:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Really??????????
It looks decent but it won't be a real loss in my opinion, of course, each person is entitled to his/her opinion?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 7:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
It looks decent but it won't be a real loss in my opinion,
I don't find it to be a great loss, but you have to understand that for some, anything being demolished is a loss. No matter how outdated. And I say it's no great loss because I walk the streets of Manhattan often. Someday, I will just take photos of the vast majority of buildings and streets that define Manhattan. It's from that perspective that you have to look at this.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 11:56 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...y1NeXMVH3ME2bN

Towering ambition: Trinity Church set to build after fight

By ISABEL VINCENT and MELISSA KLEIN
August 4, 2013

Quote:
The real-estate-obsessed rector of Trinity Church is sealing his dream deal — and altering the downtown skyline. The board of the historic lower Manhattan church has approved a plan to demolish two Trinity-owned buildings and replace them with a residential and office tower.

The Rev. James Cooper’s development push was one of many sore points that led to a mass exodus of church board members two years ago. Cooper replaced the disgruntled vestry with his cronies, who late last month approved his grand vision.

The church hired the firm Pelli Clarke Pelli, headed by renowned architect Cesar Pelli, the designer of the Petronas Towers in Malaysia and the World Financial Center in lower Manhattan. The firm’s conceptual plan shows a modern glass box of six to seven stories, which would house church offices and meeting rooms, topped by a 25-story residential tower. The project would total 296,000 square feet.

Trinity refused to reveal the project’s cost or how it would be paid for. A spokesman would say only that renovating the existing Trinity Place buildings — one of which is five stories and dates to 1915 and the other a 25-story brick structure completed in 1927 — would have cost $33 million. The church, established in 1698, is among Manhattan’s largest property owners, with an estimated $2 billion worth of commercial real estate in the Hudson Square area. The net rental income from those buildings was $71 million in 2012.

The new building, slated for completion by 2017, is expected to generate more money for Trinity, but will stand in sharp contrast to the Gothic revival church, which was rebuilt after a fire and opened in 1846. The view of its spire from Wall Street is considered iconic.

“The new condo tower is going to be the worst possible backdrop, and will be much taller than the current building,” said parishioner Jeremy Bates. “It may be an economically smart decision, but it’s symbolically wrong.” Bates sued Trinity this year over its board-election process.

Critics say Cooper focused much of his energy on the development of the two-building site to the detriment of the church’s philanthropic missions. Former board member Tom Flexner noted in a December 2011 letter to fellow members of the vestry that Cooper wanted “to pursue ill-conceived projects in order to promote his own power.”

“I would specially note his almost obsessive desire to redevelop 68-74 Trinity Place into a sort of mega-monument — a facility more expensive and more expansive than any reasonable assessment of our needs would suggest is appropriate,” Flexner wrote.

In the midst of the controversy over his leadership, Cooper considered retiring, but only if he got perks, including a burial plot in the historic church graveyard. His compensation package in 2010 topped $1.3 million, including his church-owned Soho town house. He announced in February that he would retire in 2015.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 12:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 3:51 AM

The first few floors are really quite handsome and classy, IMHO.

Wonder what led to the jarring stylistic shift between podium and tower, other than obvious programming. The podium styling doesn't scream church or religion, is fairly tame, and would be just as appropriate for a residential context.

Also, I'd really like to see a straight on shot with the church in front. I don't imagine it will be very flattering. Shades of the notorious MetLife building + Grand Central or Helmsley Building views.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 2:29 PM

If they stick to the renders this should be a beautiful building

It is a very classy and elegant design and a nice counter to some of the boring new towers going up just south of it (e.g., the Holiday Inn). I hope the glass is as well done as 56 Leonard, 400 PAS and others that are rising now.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcco View Post
It is a very classy and elegant design and a nice counter to some of the boring new towers going up just south of it (e.g., the Holiday Inn). I hope the glass is as well done as 56 Leonard, 400 PAS and others that are rising now.
I was thinking the same thing. If they use quality glass in this building it will really show off the wave up the middle of the structure. The reflection in the wavy part of the glass would be phenomenal.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 10:24 PM
New Yorker for life

I'm imagining what it will be like to look up at the tower, with that wavy pattern. It should be something similar to the Trump Tower on 5th Avenue, maybe.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 10:10 PM
New Yorker for life

September 8, 2013

http://www.downtownexpress.com/2013/...c-b-1-resists/

Trinity backs a new look for Wall St., but C.B. 1 resists

September 12, 2013

Quote:
Trinity Church’s soaring steeple was the tallest point in New York City when it was capped in 1846. It lost that title in 1890 and in 2017, it will be surpassed by the church’s newest project, a 30-plus-story glass tower sprouting from its backyard.

The plans met with disapproval from Community Board 1’s Financial District Committee on Monday night when Rev. Dr. James Cooper and Jason Pizer, president of Trinity Real Estate, presented the chosen design by Pelli Clarke Pelli.

But Trinity agreed to return to the community board with more details as the project progressed, and were commended for their willingness to come before the board even though it is an as-of-right project, meaning that developers have no obligations to do so.

I don’t think it looks like Wall St. and Downtown,” said Joel Kopel. “I think the building should look more, yes updated, but I think the building should be more in tune with the neighborhood… tourists come down here from all over the world and the last thing they need to see is another building that looks like it’s on East 59th St.”

“I think this project is unfortunate for several reasons,” said Megan McHugh, the first being an aesthetic clash with the “majesty” of the iconic view of the church down Wall St.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 11:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

As long as the church is there I don't think the tourists or really anyone would care. Its not like the design is bad or bland. People come to NY for energy,culture,history and chaos of the city. This wont replace any of that, only improve it.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 7:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Permits Filed: 68 Trinity Place Gets Height Increase, Will Stand 44 Stories Tall

Quote:
The first permits are up for a new 44-story mixed-use tower at 68 Trinity Place, which has apparently seen a height increase since Pelli Clarke Pelli was chosen to design, last July.

Trinity Church will occupy 93,180 square feet on the first seven floors, while 111 residences will split 157,185 square feet on upper levels. The tower’s total scope will measure 250,995 square feet, and it will stand 499 feet tall. The 42nd and 43rd floors will each have one penthouse residence.

Pelli Clarke Pelli’s scheme placed a 25-story tower atop a seven-story base, so the residential component has apparently stretched skinnier and taller. This would not be unexpected given the vertical progression of other projects in the neighborhood, many of which will soar well over 500 feet.
=================================
http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/09/per...44-floors.html

Title Change:
NEW YORK | 68-74 Trinity Place | 499 FT | 44 FLOORS

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 9:23 PM

This project screams for SOME contextual elements to go along with the church and the historic street. Here, we find yet another developer, this time a church, completely indifferent to the streetscape, cityscape, and city history. Another glass box...how original.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 9:45 PM
BANNED

^That's an older design. They hired the firm that designed the Fordham Towers in the UWS.

Last edited by Perklol; Sep 2, 2014 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermetAJ View Post
This project screams for SOME contextual elements to go along with the church and the historic street. Here, we find yet another developer, this time a church, completely indifferent to the streetscape, cityscape, and city history. Another glass box...how original.
There's nothing inherently unoriginal about a glass box. There's also no reason to think a glass box is "indifferent to streetscape, cityscape, and city history". If you want a Disneyland city, visit Colonial Williamsburg.

IF you personally don't like moderism, that's fine. But don't confuse your architectural biases with some larger truisms about architectural originality. And 95% of Manhattan isn't "glass boxes", so I don't get how something relatively rare can be defined as unoriginal.

But this building isn't even going to be a glass box; they hired a boring historicist architectural firm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive