HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 6:47 PM
Hopeful Graduate

Is the green glass going to be continued up the building?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 2:05 AM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymant View Post
Is the green glass going to be continued up the building?
We won't know for sure until glass actually starts going on the building, but it would seem like they will use the same glass. In the renderings, both the office tower and the Ritz-Carlton have the same color glass, but in real life the glass used on the Ritz looks more blue than the green glass used on the urban garden/overstreet connector between the buildings.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 3:43 PM
Oak City

Okay, glass has started going up on the tower. It is the same smokey green that is being used on the Founders Hall renovation and the overstreet walkway. This is in contrast to the silver/blue of the Ritz-Carlton. Photos from Saturday:

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 12:15 AM

The rendering was a bit deceptive concerning the transparency of the glass it seems, but maybe I've just got to see more of the glass exterior go in.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 1:47 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
The rendering was a bit deceptive concerning the transparency of the glass it seems, but maybe I've just got to see more of the glass exterior go in.
In the renderings have both the Ritz and the office tower with the same glass, however, the glass going up is darker and with a greenish tint. I find it interesting. Maybe they took the idea of building a "green" building very literally.

An update with photos taken Thursday:

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 7:53 PM
Oak City

Starting to look pretty imposing from the arena area. Also, it will be very visible from the Trade & Tryon square. Part of the plan included recladding the parking deck seen in this photo, but those plans have been put on hold for now.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 10:21 PM
Fourth and Main

Winston-Salem's BB&T Financial Center has dark green glass, but it appears blue (color of the sky) until you walk-up to the building. If its cloudy, I think it appears green? I'm guessing this building will appear blue on the skyline, unless its cloudy?

The built hotel actually looks better than the renderings. The office building should have a major impact from Independence (my favorite skyline angle). I'm guessing it will reach 425 feet?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 11:42 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
The built hotel actually looks better than the renderings. The office building should have a major impact from Independence (my favorite skyline angle). I'm guessing it will reach 425 feet?
Yeah, I actually like that the glass will be a little different than the Ritz-Carlton. It is dull when two neighboring buildings have the same glass (the hexagon-shaped BofA Plaza and Omni hotel both have black glass).

30 floors, I've heard that LEED gold the floors are slightly higher, I think I remember hearing 475 feet on this tower maybe?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 12:23 AM
Oak City

7-26-09

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 2:37 PM

Nice, this one is starting to go vertical. It will be interesting to see what impact it has on the skyline. That area of Uptown is really getting dense.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 6:25 PM
Fourth and Main

The floors appear to be of average height for an office building. If it's 475, it will look impressive. I wish the space proposed in University was added to this building or used to build another tower of equal height in this area. I've seen renderings of the interior and this will become one of the best buildings to work in. Does anyone know what floor it is on? It will impact the skyline, as a tower around half the height of the Bank of America Corporate Center.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 9:45 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
The floors appear to be of average height for an office building. If it's 475, it will look impressive. I wish the space proposed in University was added to this building or used to build another tower of equal height in this area. I've seen renderings of the interior and this will become one of the best buildings to work in. Does anyone know what floor it is on? It will impact the skyline, as a tower around half the height of the Bank of America Corporate Center.
I think the core is up to the floor of the 22nd story in the above photos. Here is another photo from Sunday show its place in the skyline. Once it reaches 30 floors it should appear taller than the Bank of America Plaza (the black hexagon building to its left).

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 10:15 PM
Oak City

8/7/09

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 9:12 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

That's very high quality glass. No wavyness to it whatsoever.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 10:34 PM
Oak City

8-15-09

No glass on this side, but you can see on the right side where it wraps around. This building has one rounded corner (on the right side, where the glass is located).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 3:09 AM
Oak City

8-18-09 - View from Tryon St. and 5th:

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 7:40 PM

The curvature sort of reminds me of a building in Times Square that has the electronic ticker/advertisements on it. If this building was on Trade/Tryon I would totally go for a tasteful version of a ticker.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 12:59 PM
Oak City

Taken Monday:

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 11:10 PM
Fourth and Main

This building looks great in renderings, but looks as if it was built in the early 1980's in the construction photos. It reminds me of Wells Fargo Plaza in Houston, built in 1983. Maybe I should wait until more is completed before questioning the design?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 3:57 AM
Oak City

Update from 9-27-09

I am pretty sure the concrete core has topped out.

Close up of the glass:

Here you can see that the back section of the tower is going up slower than the reset. It is because this section is cantilevered above an existing structure. This will make the tower more of a rectangle shape that so much a square shape. You can also see the curved corner of the building on the right.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive