HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 29, 2023, 1:54 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Eesh. People do dumb things. Maybe I need to retool my idea of what's an acceptable commute . . .

EDIT: though I suppose if you're a hybrid worker and only need to see the office a couple of days a week, the drive from Copperas Cove might be worth it.
Or you don't want to pay Austin prices and Austin taxes. I had to move to Kyle for my first house. If I didn't have to work in the office, I'd move even further away (Lampasas area).

But even Lampasas is getting ridiculous now. Property appraisals have sent residents into a fit. A 10-acre lot with nothing on it in the middle of nowhere went from $40,000 to $360,000 this year.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2023, 1:34 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Or you don't want to pay Austin prices and Austin taxes. I had to move to Kyle for my first house. If I didn't have to work in the office, I'd move even further away (Lampasas area).

But even Lampasas is getting ridiculous now. Property appraisals have sent residents into a fit. A 10-acre lot with nothing on it in the middle of nowhere went from $40,000 to $360,000 this year.
That's nuts! I actually have a friend building on some land (10 acres, maybe?) just north of Lampasas. I think they've owned it for a while though.

We have to remember that Lampasas is also on the I-14 future corridor, so it's only going to grow more. Not to mention, 183 extends directly up there as well and will be one of the direct connections for Austin to that interstate.

A lot of the towns along the 281 corridor south of there all the way to San Antonio are seeing the same growing pains (Burnet, Marble Falls, Round Mountain, Johnson City, Blanco, Bulverde, etc.).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2023, 8:08 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
That's nuts! I actually have a friend building on some land (10 acres, maybe?) just north of Lampasas. I think they've owned it for a while though.

We have to remember that Lampasas is also on the I-14 future corridor, so it's only going to grow more. Not to mention, 183 extends directly up there as well and will be one of the direct connections for Austin to that interstate.

A lot of the towns along the 281 corridor south of there all the way to San Antonio are seeing the same growing pains (Burnet, Marble Falls, Round Mountain, Johnson City, Blanco, Bulverde, etc.).
Yeah, it's been coming for awhile. I've been predicting Lampasas to have insane growth for a couple of decades now. It's finally happening.

It's where 183, 281 and 190 all come together. It's a beautiful area. And I-14 is coming through eventually.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 1:43 PM

Developer eyes 722-acre lakeside development near Lake Georgetown
Quote:
A Wyoming-based developer is eyeing a 722-acre development in Georgetown that could bring 1,500 homes and a 15-acre resort hotel to the west side of Lake Georgetown.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...Pos=2#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 9:15 PM

Area man attempts to build glass mansion along Colorado River.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-glass..._copyURL_share

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post

Dang, paywalled. Would dearly love to read about another of Elon's whackadooodle plans.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Dang, paywalled. Would dearly love to read about another of Elon's whackadooodle plans.
You can ready for free if you make an account.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 9:12 PM

Quote:
it's whackadoodle time. it is whack a doodle time.

If we can somehow score hosting the fight match between him and Zuck, that would be the silver lining of him being here none of us expected but need right now.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 10:48 PM

Manor OKs tax rebates, development plan (Manor Commons Phase 3)

Quote:
A $71 million new phase of development could bring hundreds of thousands of square feet of stores, restaurants and hotel space to Manor, in an area where lots of new construction has been proposed.

Austin-based Greenview Development Corp. on July 5 secured approval from Manor City Council for both a development agreement and an incentives agreement for the third phase of its Manor Commons development. The new phase is slated to rise on a 47-acre greenfield site at the northeast corner of Farm to Market Road 973 and U.S. Route 290.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ery-store.html
This is pretty exciting for Manor. This area is experiencing a lot of growth both in population and economic development. I always wondered why Manor remained such a sleepy town when its in such close proximity to Austin. Pflugerville, Round Rock, Cedar Park, Buda, and Kyle have all seen explosive growth but Manor just seems to only be picking up. Anyway, this is good news for Manor, hopefully they get some quality retail.

Last edited by Savant8; Jul 13, 2023 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 7:14 PM

High Ridge is a 500 acre development that was proposed to replace the 150 acre Indigo Ridge proposal. It will sandwich the New Hope Dr expansion which is currently under construction
  • 1,000 single-family homes
  • 3,000 multifamily homes
  • 600 hotel units
  • 3.1 million square feet of commercial and civil space
  • 50 acres of parks and open space
  • A major athletic facility campus

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...qaQTCsI04TI--o

Old Posted Aug 7, 2023, 1:30 PM
World Traveler

^^ I read about that also. New Hope will eventually extend all the way to I-35 to meet up with Westinghouse according to the long-term plans. That will be helpful with more growth in the area, for sure. I'm interested to see their plans for the area to see just how mixed-use this will be.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 2:57 PM
World Traveler

Family member shared this article with me from a newspaper in Marble Falls. It speaks to the pros and cons of growth in the Highland Lakes region with a specific focus on Burnet County. Obviously there are views on both sides of the growth in general, but the affordability issue is real, especially in these smaller towns.

https://www.dailytrib.com/2023/08/08...unity-changes/

Pro tip: hit Esc when opening the article to read it.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2023, 6:44 AM
De Lurk Squad

New Samsung facility construction in Taylor
https://youtu.be/JSMsIeF9bSc

Old Posted Aug 20, 2023, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelplate View Post
New Samsung facility construction in Taylor
https://youtu.be/JSMsIeF9bSc
That facility is absolutely massive. Looks much larger than the Tesla Gigafactory.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2023, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
That facility is absolutely massive. Looks much larger than the Tesla Gigafactory.
It oughta be for $17 Billion.
Too bad my wife’s family sold her grandpa’s 100 acres fifty years ago on what is now Chandler Road up near near Circleville.
That corridor over to Round Rock will see a lot of development soon…or so they claim.

But one of her Taylor High School classmate owns 200 acres just southeast of this Samsung project. Her kids should reap some benefit out of it.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 2:55 AM
クラブトクヨ

Wow Samsung Taylor looks so massive! I wonder what kind of retail, apartments, restaurants will spur around this after complete for employees

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 4:18 AM

With so much growth in the Austin area, city planners up here in Belton are predicting the town to double in population!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 12:24 AM

Does anybody on here have a good grasp of how many film studios are setting up in the greater Austin area? Seems like I have heard about 4 or 5, but not sure if some of those are the same project. I can think of 1 in Bastrop, 1 or 2 in “Hays County”, and then just today saw that one is about to break ground in San Marcos.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 1:03 AM

Quote:

This going to become a major deal and likely get a lot of national press scrutiny soon.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Area man California transplant attempts to build glass mansion along colorado river.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-glass..._copyurl_share
ftfy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin