HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I can see arguments for both sides on this one-----for, it is part of a hospital complex, against, it's not intended for direct patient care.
I'd be interested in what others think.
my 2 cents, they should continue with construction. as should most sites.
let's not feed into the panic and hysteria. Take the threat seriously, test workers on site, shut sites down until they can be cleaned if someone does test positive. but beyond that, build build build!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 3:48 PM

Quote:
I can see arguments for both sides on this one-----for, it is part of a hospital complex, against, it's not intended for direct patient care.
I'd be interested in what others think.
I think they would go through with this since it would help with development for treatment or a possible cure/vaccine. (this is a research building right?) It would only make sense and im sure if we got to a point they could put beds in that building (maybe)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 7:32 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Right, and this isn't just looking at the situation now, but into the future. The current situation will change how we look at our healthcare system and research/development/deployment well into the future.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 2:37 AM

If CHOP was fighting for an exception and they claimed they wanted to continue with construction, then I suppose I could be persuaded. After all, who would know better than them if it was worthwhile continuing this in the middle of a global pandemic?

But my gut reaction is that this absolutely should not continue with construction. It is FAR off from being completed and is not designed for patient use anyway. And as far as researching for a cure, CHOP has PLENTY of space for that already assuming they, like other medical research facilities across the planet, will be changing their priorities to try and find a treatment or a vaccine for COVID-19.

I've seen it stated multiple times that construction is not a job that requires a lot of close contact between people, but that is really missing the point entirely. We're already at the point where just the essential people who need to leave their homes to work in order to continue supporting everyone else who is staying home is a pretty large percentage of the population from delivery drivers, sanitation, retail workers, and of course health care workers, among others. It was just announced today that even if everyone who can stay home, stays home, we're still looking at possibly 200,000 deaths. The more people who don't stay home, the more those numbers rise.

Working on this project doesn't just mean some workers largely working far apart from one another on a construction site. It also means they'll need to drive into work, get gas, park their car, eat lunch, etc. It also means people will need to continue working to produce and deliver materials to the jobsite, etc.

Also, I'd honestly be surprised if CHOP even asked for an exception. I know a lot of people in the healthcare field and the feeling right now is one of heading into war. The number of cases continues to rise exponentially and many philly healthcare workers don't even have adequate equipment to protect themselves even now, much less in two weeks when hospitals will almost certainly be overflowing.

Obviously the doctors at chop aren't going to be building this thing, but I imagine having this ongoing construction would occupy the time of at least some of the people who work for CHOP in a management capacity. I get the feeling that with all that's going on, they don't want to have anything that is not essential on their plate right now and this building is not essential.

And I'm sorry, but this isn't panic or hysteria. This is reasoned logic preached by every relevant expert in the field. This is simple math. The only way to stay afloat while we bide our time for a vaccine is social distancing. That means people who don't need to leave their home, staying home and that includes the people who were going to build this building.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 2:34 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
If CHOP was fighting for an exception and they claimed they wanted to continue with construction, then I suppose I could be persuaded. After all, who would know better than them if it was worthwhile continuing this in the middle of a global pandemic?

But my gut reaction is that this absolutely should not continue with construction. It is FAR off from being completed and is not designed for patient use anyway. And as far as researching for a cure, CHOP has PLENTY of space for that already assuming they, like other medical research facilities across the planet, will be changing their priorities to try and find a treatment or a vaccine for COVID-19.

I've seen it stated multiple times that construction is not a job that requires a lot of close contact between people, but that is really missing the point entirely. We're already at the point where just the essential people who need to leave their homes to work in order to continue supporting everyone else who is staying home is a pretty large percentage of the population from delivery drivers, sanitation, retail workers, and of course health care workers, among others. It was just announced today that even if everyone who can stay home, stays home, we're still looking at possibly 200,000 deaths. The more people who don't stay home, the more those numbers rise.

Working on this project doesn't just mean some workers largely working far apart from one another on a construction site. It also means they'll need to drive into work, get gas, park their car, eat lunch, etc. It also means people will need to continue working to produce and deliver materials to the jobsite, etc.

Also, I'd honestly be surprised if CHOP even asked for an exception. I know a lot of people in the healthcare field and the feeling right now is one of heading into war. The number of cases continues to rise exponentially and many philly healthcare workers don't even have adequate equipment to protect themselves even now, much less in two weeks when hospitals will almost certainly be overflowing.

Obviously the doctors at chop aren't going to be building this thing, but I imagine having this ongoing construction would occupy the time of at least some of the people who work for CHOP in a management capacity. I get the feeling that with all that's going on, they don't want to have anything that is not essential on their plate right now and this building is not essential.

And I'm sorry, but this isn't panic or hysteria. This is reasoned logic preached by every relevant expert in the field. This is simple math. The only way to stay afloat while we bide our time for a vaccine is social distancing. That means people who don't need to leave their home, staying home and that includes the people who were going to build this building.

The mortality rate in Spain for those below 50 is .3 percent. 50-59 is 1 percent. 60-69 is 3.1 percent. 70-79 is 9.8 percent. 80-89 is 21 percent, and 90+ is 25.7 percent.

If your below 60 they should give us a choice to go back to work. Honestly older people should be getting quarantined instead of the whole population.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el don View Post
The mortality rate in Spain for those below 50 is .3 percent. 50-59 is 1 percent. 60-69 is 3.1 percent. 70-79 is 9.8 percent. 80-89 is 21 percent, and 90+ is 25.7 percent.

If your below 60 they should give us a choice to go back to work. Honestly older people should be getting quarantined instead of the whole population.
They are doing the quarantine just in case a 20 year old gets the virus and gives it to their grandparents or others in the age groups who are more in danger, or anyone more in danger then themselves. If i get it i have asthma so it might cause more troublefor me i might go to the hospital but i wont die, however, if i give it to 5 elderly people with comprimised immune systems, they can spread it to others of their age group and in turn kill dozens.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 6:12 PM

I have studied the pictures on this project. I have seen the crane on-site. I have viewed the lot from the train right next to it. But I still can't figure out exactly how this building fits into the land around it.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el don View Post

Yet the hospitalization rate from people who contract Corona under 55 in America is over 20 percent, with almost 5 percent of patients under 55 ending up in critical condition. We also know this virus is incredibly contagious and despite probably the most extreme anti-pandemic measures in human history, corona cases are still rising exponentially around much of the world.

Allowing people under 60 to end their self quarantine makes the disastrously stupid assumption that mortality rates will remain consistent as cases rise exponentially. Mortality rate for those under 55 in America is said to be under one percent. But how do you think things will go for the five percent of people under 55 who require critical care but won't be able to receive it because the hospitals will be overflowing? Here's a hint: not well.

This isn't just about old people. Young relatively healthy people will die if they can't receive the treatment they require.

Stay inside.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 Level View Post
I have studied the pictures on this project. I have seen the crane on-site. I have viewed the lot from the train right next to it. But I still can't figure out exactly how this building fits into the land around it.
It's a confusing project site for sure. It wraps partially around the Beurger Center into part of where a plaza was. Additionally, but it's not clear in the rendering, I believe part of the back of Buerger will be demolished to give this building more floor space where they connect.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 11:59 AM
Philly Pholly

This is what I came up with. It was difficult to arrange it.

Hub for Clinical Collaboration

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 12:57 PM

As the Buerger Center was being built I found it alittle odd that it's east face, the side facing the river and giving a cityscape viewpoint, was blank, with no windows, and I also wondered why this new building left a small, more or less unused piece of land along its eastern edge.

And as soon as this office tower was announced it was obvious that it had been planned for in the design of Buerger. So, I assume that even though the footprint of this tower seems tight and compacted, this it is what has been intended right from the start.

I think the Buerger building was also designed with the possibility of adding additional floors to it's height as needed. I wonder if that explains why this tower is taller then Buerger and someday we may see what appears to be a 5 to 8 floor difference in height evened out.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Pretty sure this is exactly right. It's definitely a confusing layout.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
It's definitely a confusing layout.
It seems like a big hole split by a driveway. Perhaps they're going to build under then over the driveway

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 6:03 PM

Your explanations and drawings are very helpful. Thank you. As you all have noted, there must be some element of either demo or building over something that already exists on the site.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 8:23 PM

It appears that construction is back on again. This weekend there will be a road closure related to the project.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post

Hub for Clinical Collaboration

Has there ever been a proposal for a pedestrian bridge south of South st? Area could maybe benefit from it. And the south st bridge has that intersection in the middle that makes me not the best for pedestrians.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 12:56 PM

^^^^^^^
At one point early in Penn's planning for their new, and since built park, their drawings showed a bridge north of the South St. bridge, and continuing westward into the campus, but I haven't seen anything proposed or dreamed about south of South St.
The old RR swing bridge just south of Grey's Ferry bridge is being rebuilt to connect the paths on both banks of the River.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
^^^^^^^
At one point early in Penn's planning for their new, and since built park, their drawings showed a bridge north of the South St. bridge, and continuing westward into the campus, but I haven't seen anything proposed or dreamed about south of South St.
The old RR swing bridge just south of Grey's Ferry bridge is being rebuilt to connect the paths on both banks of the River.
Yep. I wish they followed through with it because it would have been a game changer for Penn, Schuylkill Banks and center city.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
Yep. I wish they followed through with it because it would have been a game changer for Penn, Schuylkill Banks and center city.
Notice in this rendering they show the 700 foot version of 2 Liberty Place
2 Liberty Place concept architectural model by Thomas Koloski, on Flickr
And the 880 foot Mellon Bank Center
880 foot Mellon Bank Center (1735 Market) by Thomas Koloski, on Flickr

What's the blocky building in front of Mellon Bank that's not on the University City side though?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 9:06 PM

^ Great finds. Def remember that pedestrian bridge proposal north of South St. They need to rescope that idea.

Adding one south of South St to connect CHOP on both sides of the river would be such a common sense proposal too. Adding more pedestrian and bike bridges to connect center city, Fairmount, and UC would be pivotal for ease of travel through the city. UC would become so much more central and accessible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive