HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 6:05 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Look closer; you can see the building's sign on the left hand side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Milford_New_York_Hotel

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 12:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
As expected - rentals at 52nd and condos with Gary.

Off topic but what is the name of that stumpy building behind this theater? It looks very nice from this view but the front is a totally different story.
Supposedly that one is being renovated.

But yeah, it was likely Barnett would be going with condos instead of office space, otherwise he'd have stayed in the Hudson Yards. He should be able to assemble a pretty decent tower here. I wouldn't expect anything right away, but you never know.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Supposedly that one is being renovated.

But yeah, it was likely Barnett would be going with condos instead of office space, otherwise he'd have stayed in the Hudson Yards. He should be able to assemble a pretty decent tower here. I wouldn't expect anything right away, but you never know.
Agree. Barnett could do an office tower but condos is his focus. Anything right away? Could be but that holiday tent could be extended and get in the way.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 6:11 PM

I don't know the exact zoning is for this lot but if it's commercial then I hope the city won't let Extell build more ultra lux condos here.

Last thing we need more of is to take away lots zoned for offices and replace them with more unaffordable, mostly unoccuppied pied-a-terres.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 8:19 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

The combined lot would be split between C6-4 and C6-5, both of which give an option of whether to build office and/or residential.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/zone...andbook/c6.pdf

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 10:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I don't know the exact zoning is for this lot but if it's commercial then I hope the city won't let Extell build more ultra lux condos here.

Last thing we need more of is to take away lots zoned for offices and replace them with more unaffordable, mostly unoccuppied pied-a-terres.

Who says it will be that? There are residential towers going up all over Manhattan, a lot of them tall, and no, not all of them are "mostly unoccuppied pied-a-terres".

Anyway, whatever the case, I'm sure Extell wouldn't have a problem getting approval for a residential/hotel tower here, the city's focus being on the west side and east side of Manhattan. This particular stretch isn't known as an office haven, and I doubt the city would press it to be, with all of the surrounding residential and hotel space. But time will tell what Barnett has planned.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

Once in a while, I actually agree with you!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 8:11 PM
New Yorker for life

http://nypost.com/2013/12/31/your-go...icks-for-2013/

Lois Weis
December 31, 2013

Quote:
Presenting the Between the Bricks annual Golden Bricks to the best and worst of the city’s slickers:

• Super Swapper: This award goes to Gary Barnett, who dubbed his Eleventh Avenue and West 34th Street office development site One Hudson Yards, thus annoying Related Companies’ Stephen Ross, who is developing the “official” Hudson Yards. This did prompt Related and partner Boston Properties to trade their development site at 46th Street and Eighth Avenue to Barnett, which he had already surrounded, killing any possible project other than his.

Barnett knows how to deal. I think both sides came out winners on this one.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 8:31 PM

With over one million square feet of development potential, this should very tall and slim. Will supposedly be another condo-hotel hybrid.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 1:11 PM
New Yorker for life

http://nypost.com/2014/08/22/shubert...d-new-theater/

Shuberts intend to build a brand-new theater

By Michael Riedel
August 22, 2014

Quote:
The Shubert Organization, Broadway’s biggest and most powerful landlord, is expanding its Times Square empire.

The company recently made a bid for New World Stages, the complex of underground off-Broadway theaters on West 50th Street. Now comes word the Shuberts plan to build a state-of-the-art, 1,500-seat Broadway theater between West 45th and 46th streets — sandwiched between Frankie & Johnnie’s steakhouse and the Shuberts’ Imperial Theatre.

The proposed site is now partly filled with tents selling trinkets to tourists. The Shuberts can build there because they own the lot. The company declined to discuss its plans in detail, saying only that it is “in negotiations.”

http://deadline.com/2014/08/the-plot...oadway-825192/

The Plot Thickens: Will A ‘New’ Shubert Theater Tower Over Broadway?

by Jeremy Gerard
August 27, 2014

Quote:
Since everyone is dousing everyone else these dog days with buckets of ice to raise money for ALS research, I offer a challenge of my own to The New York Post‘s Michael Riedel: Meet me at Bar Centrale the day after Labor Day 2019. If, five years from now, there’s a new, 1,500-seat Broadway theater around the corner on Eighth Avenue between 45th and 46th streets, you can douse me with a bucket of ice and I’ll write a $100 check to the Shubert Foundation. And if it’s a Shubert theater, I’ll make it $200.

If, however, there’s no theater in the luxury apartment tower Gary “One57″ Barnett’s Extell Corp is planning for that site, you have to write a check for $200 to my favorite charity, Greater Education, Rehabilitation And Recreation for Dropouts (you can just use the initials).

Shubert, as we know, owns valuable land and even more valuable air rights in the Theater District, and Broadway’s biggest landlord has been doing some heavy horse trading recently, exchanging oxygen for dollars and planning a takeover of a five-theater off-Broadway complex on 50th Street west of Eighth Avenue. But a new Broadway theater, at a cost of $150 million? Ehhhh, I don’t think so. Neither does the powerful Community Board 5, which controls building plans in the area and has received no paperwork for any such project at 740 Eighth Ave.

The site we’re talking about, which currently hosts a crafts market and a parking lot, originally was put together by real estate giant Related Companies, owned by Stephen Ross. But Barnett held the rights to a key chunk of the land where Related is building the Hudson Yards mixed-use development site that’s roughly the size of Rhode Island. So Related and Extell negotiated a land swap.

Now Barnett reputedly is planning another super-skyscraper along the lines of One57, the billionaires-only tower that casts a sunrise shadow from 57th and 7th to the Delaware Water Gap.

I can pretty much guarantee there will be no free-standing new theater on that site. So, will Barnett’s 740 Eighth Avenue project include a Broadway theater? He didn’t respond to several requests for confirmation. When I asked Shubert Chairman Philip J. Smith, he laughed and said, “No comment.” But there are a number of obstacles besides common sense that make a new theater seem unlikely. The site has one piece that, so far, neither Barnett nor the Shuberts has gotten hold of: the ancient, family-owned bistro Pergola Des Artistes, whose proprietors have shown no inclination to sell. A new Broadway theater would be saddled with the same insane operating costs as the rest of the Street.

Perhaps most important is Broadway economics, which since time immemorial have favored landlords over producers. Producers might wail over the fact that they have to wait in lines three deep for theaters to open up for their shows, but the Big Three landlords — Shubert has 17 houses, Nederlander nine and Jujamcyn five — couldn’t be happier. Their theaters are guaranteed paying tenants even as the Broadway audience shrinks, Broadway ticket prices rise and Hollywood stars leave town in a huff when they don’t get Tony nominations. Hudson Yards already is planning a giant theatrical space to compete with Broadway’s biggest houses. A 1,500-seat theater in the Broadway mix is a very rocky proposition. I’ll believe it when I see it.

So stock up on ice, meet us at Bar Centrale on Tuesday, September 3, 2019 — and please, bring a couple of towels.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 12:15 AM
New Yorker for life

http://news.yahoo.com/megatowers-com...195503888.html

The Megatowers Are Coming: Can Gary Barnett Build a Second One57 in Times Square?

Curbed New York
By Jeremiah Budin

Quote:
News about 740 Eighth Avenue has been scarce since the office tower plans from Related Companies and Boston Properties fell through and they traded the site to Gary Barnett's Extell Development. But an article in Deadline Hollywood now sheds some light on the future of the property: Jeremy Gerard writes that, "Barnett reputedly is planning another super-skyscraper along the lines of One57." Hey, we didn't say it shed a surprising light.

Gerard spends most of his article debunking New York Post theater columnist Michael Riedel's article about the Shubert Organization planning to bring a 1,500-seat Broadway theater to the site. Riedel also claims that the site is "sandwiched between Frankie & Johnnie's steakhouse and the Shuberts' Imperial Theatre" (the site is on a corner — Frankie & Johnnie's is five buildings away) and that "The Shuberts can build there because they own the lot" (Gary Barnett owns most of the lot), so the theater thing seems... a little dubious. But a huge glass tower full of multi-million-dollar condos? Yeah, that's probably going to happen.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:24 PM

So Barnett has (at least) 7 tall towers planned in Manhattan alone

1. 225 W.57 (Nordstrom Tower)

2. 47th/5th Ave.- he has a major assemblage/air rights for a hotel/condo tower (NY Daily News had an article on it this past week)

3. 67th/Broadway- Crains NY had an article on a major assemblage/air rights for a condo tower being developed by Extell (the site is not directly on Broadway but on the side streets just to the east)

4. 227 Cherry St.- Massive Lower Manhattan tower

5. 142 W.24th Street- Extell has plans to build a hotel tower on this site

6. 3rd Avenue/94th Street- Extell has begun demolishing the buildings on this assemblage, with plans for a large condo tower

7. The Shubert Theater tower site at 8th Avenue & 45th Street

Realistically, up to four of these seven projects could be supertalls. Extell is probably the biggest developer in Manhattan right now, with only Related offering serious competition.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:41 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

2. 47th/5th Ave.- he has a major assemblage/air rights for a hotel/condo tower (NY Daily News had an article on it this past week)

3. 67th/Broadway- Crains NY had an article on a major assemblage/air rights for a condo tower being developed by Extell (the site is not directly on Broadway but on the side streets just to the east)

6. 3rd Avenue/94th Street- Extell has begun demolishing the buildings on this assemblage, with plans for a large condo tower

Realistically, up to four of these seven projects could be supertalls. Extell is probably the biggest developer in Manhattan right now, with only Related offering serious competition.
Translation: Gary Barnett is CRAZY rich.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 6:21 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
Translation: Gary Barnett is CRAZY rich.
I don't know what his personal net worth is, but this list does prove he's a hell of a businessman.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Not to take the thread too far from topic but here is some info about the project Extell is planning on Broadway and 66th.
August 28, 2014 03:20PM
By Adam Pincus
Quote:
Extell Development plans to build a large condominium tower in partnership with Megalith Capital Management a half a block from Central Park West on land each firm will contribute to the project, recent court records show. For its part, Extell is paying Congregation Habonim $45 million for a synagogue located at 44 West 66th Street, between Central Park West and Columbus Avenue. It will combine that with Megalith’s three-building package next door at 36-40 West 66th Street, to create a 15,000 square foot footprint for the condo tower. The Real Deal reported last month that Extell was in contract to buy the synagogue but at the time the price was not disclosed. Megalith, led by CEO Samvir Sidhu, purchased its parcels for $85 million in March. The complex condo tower deal involves creating a new home for the synagogue as a condo unit, an unidentified number of residential condos, and a garage unit. The synagogue has owned the parcel since 1949. Habonim’s portion in the condo tower is valued at $30 million, yielding a total value to the synagogue of $75 million. The new details were revealed in a court filing Tuesday as part of the required New York State Attorney General and State Supreme Court approvals that are needed when a nonprofit such as the synagogue sells a large portion of its assets. The court approval is pending. The final size of the project is not known, and could vary in size dramatically. The base development rights for the Extell and Megalith sites allow for a tower encompassing roughly 150,000 square feet to 180,000 square feet, depending on whether the developer uses inculsionary zoning bonuses available in the Special Lincoln Square District, where the property is located, an analysis of the site found. But a much larger tower, of perhaps 400,000 square feet might be possible if Extell acquires the neighboring parcel at 15 West 65th Street, which is owned by the nonprofit Jewish Guild Healthcare, one land use attorney, who asked not to be identified, estimated. But others familiar with the site said it could never be anywhere close to that size. The court filings say Extell is considering the acquisition of the Guild parcel, but does not provide additional details. Insiders said if Extell merged zoning lots with that, then purchased air rights from a landmarked building owned by the Walt Disney Co. to the west at 52 West 66th Street, the much larger tower might be possible. Extell and Megalith did not respond to a request for comment. The complex sale of the Habonim parcel to Extell was handled by an investment sales team from Savills Studley, David Carlos and Ira Schuman. The sale will generate a commission of $1.88 million to be paid by the congregation, the court records reveal. The sale is set to close on Halloween. The synagogue is set to vacate the site in January and relocate temporarily to 101 West End Avenue. It is anticipated that the new building will be completed by 2018 or 2019, the filing say. - See more at: http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/08/....jxRIpnAn.dpuf
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/08/...s-condo-tower/

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 12:27 AM

"Now Barnett reputedly is planning another super-skyscraper along the lines of One57, the billionaires-only tower that casts a sunrise shadow from 57th and 7th to the Delaware Water Gap."

Sounds exciting, but I really have a hard time imagining that the super-rich (billionaires +) would be interested in owning a condo from Times Square. It is an exciting and central neighborhood no doubt, but it is also extraordinarily crowded and chaotic. 57th Street, Park Ave and other areas make sense to me, but this location is questionable. Barnett obviously knows best, just a thought.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
"
Sounds exciting, but I really have a hard time imagining that the super-rich (billionaires +) would be interested in owning a condo from Times Square. It is an exciting and central neighborhood no doubt, but it is also extraordinarily crowded and chaotic. 57th Street, Park Ave and other areas make sense to me, but this location is questionable. Barnett obviously knows best, just a thought.
This is a good point. He won't get the same prices in Times Square as on 57th Street.

I think, of all his assemblages, the Lincoln Center-area assemblage is most promising. That tower could be insanely expensive. I expect something extremely tall and thin, taking advantage of the Central Park views.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 12:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
"Now Barnett reputedly is planning another super-skyscraper along the lines of One57, the billionaires-only tower that casts a sunrise shadow from 57th and 7th to the Delaware Water Gap."

The "super rich" would only get condos of the top floors, that's the case with towers like 432 and One57. Still, the location is not quite the same. It will have to stretch higher than One57 for those Central Park and Hudson River views. But keep in mind also that Barnett doesn't build strictly higher end condos. And Larry Silverstein's tower at 520 W. 41st St won't be a higher end condo building either.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:40 AM

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Show your hand Barnett. Every little bit helps put the skyline puzzle together. It's hard to say, but I predict anywhere from 1,000 to even 1,400 ft. Of course, he could surprise us all and build something shorter. But that's not his style. When he can build tall, he does. Building within the zoning. This is how it gets done Trump. You can't fight city hall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction