HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 3:30 AM
1st Ward

Impressive density, and located right next to the Belmont L stop. It is replacing some very handsome two story brick retail buildings, but other than that I think this development is a big win!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Impressive density, and located right next to the Belmont L stop. It is replacing some very handsome two story brick retail buildings, but other than that I think this development is a big win!
Yeah, I'm hoping the new development will bring in some of those business tenants, but it's also good to this level of new construction adjacent to CTA.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
^The 925 W Belmont project above.

Wow, Lakeview has changed since I moved there in 2003. From the Punkin' Donuts, all the funky stores, 24 hour restaurants, the 'interesting' bars and such. Not opposed to this development but it does knock down part of what made Lakeview unique and it tells me how much Lakeview has changed and everyone says that as they get older. I get all that

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 3:59 PM

I used to love hanging out in that area, between the target and now this, it kills all that vibe now. Oh well. Things change.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 4:39 PM

Does it mention who the developer is? I see that it includes Ann Sather... maybe former-Ald. Tunney is the behind the project lol!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 4:40 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
Wow, I remember these days so well

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Does it mention who the developer is? I see that it includes Ann Sather... maybe former-Ald. Tunney is the behind the project lol!
He did own the entire space where this is going but sold it in 2013. Made a killing on it I imagine. Primo real estate.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 4:47 PM
Show me the blueprints

Those dudes on the corner played the Fireside Bowl that nite LOL

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 5:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
^The 925 W Belmont project above.

Wow, Lakeview has changed since I moved there in 2003. From the Punkin' Donuts, all the funky stores, 24 hour restaurants, the 'interesting' bars and such. Not opposed to this development but it does knock down part of what made Lakeview unique and it tells me how much Lakeview has changed and everyone says that as they get older. I get all that
Yeah but it's got some Keith Haring decoration to keep it "edgy."

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 5:54 PM

Structured Development's co-founders are rebuying an office building they sold at 1333 N Kingsbury, and plan to convert it to 200 residential units. Lol they basically short sold a building

https://www.costar.com/article/14449...-to-apartments

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 8:03 PM

Ugh, the Belmont project is really testing my commitment to YIMBY'ism. That's such a nice, vibrant stretch of retail.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
Ugh, the Belmont project is really testing my commitment to YIMBY'ism. That's such a nice, vibrant stretch of retail.
Same. If they could guarantee some of those businesses going back in the same building or in some vacant spaces nearby I'd be better. But I could think of other places nearby that need this development way more than this part on Belmont.

I am very pro development but also not blindly.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 8:40 PM

^Agree with both of you. I'm not opposed and by no means calling for historic preservation here, but Chicago is not currently that strapped for space where we need to be knocking down vibrant and attractive business strips. I'd be much happier if they built a residential annex on the 63-car surface lot (!) behind the existing structure. Bonus points for little-to-no car parking, filling in the curb cut, and redesigning the exposed brick "alley" as a walkway entrance for the new residences. It could be really nice.

We see expensive, spacious new retail spaces like the one proposed sit empty for months/years while tons of the businesses that actually draw foot traffic in our popular neighborhood areas (Armitage, Wells St, Wicker/Bucktown, Broadway, Andersonville, etc.) all heavily feature small-format retail. And the places that do rent out the larger spaces often suck.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
The buildings that would be torn down look nice, but I feel like that stretch of Belmont always underperformed considering the amount of foot traffic. Always seemed like a good amount of turnover and nothing hits.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 1:23 AM

There are pending permits for 1619 W Neva, 125 units. It seems like we're experience a midrise boom across the city

https://enclavegalewood.com/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 3:48 AM
Chicago

919 on Fulton - 919 W Fulton Market

February 27, 2024

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 3:49 AM
Chicago

812 W Adams

February 27, 2024

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 3:49 AM
Chicago

Encuentro Square - 3759 W Cortland & 1844 N Ridgeway

February 29, 2024

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 2:41 AM

Quote:
There are pending permits for 1619 W Neva, 125 units. It seems like we're experience a midrise boom across the city
Have they relaxed the 5+1 wooden construction codes? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the reason Chicago doesn't have a whole lot of these is because they generally don't adhere to Chicago's fire codes.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 7:57 PM

UofC and CCC Lab Tech Facilities

Article from Crain's has an image of the location, not a render.

Quote:
The University of Chicago and City Colleges of Chicago plan a joint project that would see new health care educational facilities built on the South Side.

The plan, announced March 5, is for the University of Chicago and UChicago Medicine to erect a facility on vacant land it owns along Garfield Boulevard near Washington Park. The clinical lab will centralize functions for many of UChicago's existing labs.
Quote:
Additionally, directly west of UChicago's new lab facility, City Colleges of Chicago would build a new learning center for Malcolm X College. That facility would be on land owned by the Chicago Transit Authority, immediately east of the Garfield Green Line station.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development