HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:46 PM

I'm also torn on the Leon plan. It's good for the south end of downtown, and a cluster of towers around Harvey would be good. However the project will plop an entire block long podium down with nothing to break it up. It's not a great project, it's not good irbanism and I don't think that it will age well. But it will change a bad part of downtown.

This hotel was also approved in the north end:
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
88 room hotel proposed for Clement and St. Paul:

https://www.kelownanow.com/watercool...ntown_Kelowna/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 4:43 PM

For anyone in the know: are there any plans to reserve space for transit corridors in Kelowna?

My apologies if this has been asked before.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 7:15 PM

The Leon Ave project is ambitious. But a bit unattractive too. It should do wonders to clean up the area if it indeed adds a ton of residents to the area. Hopefully they are more affordable units. I wonder what the impact will be on the view for Ella's residents.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 12:15 AM

That hotel looks nice!

The Leon project is good for the location it is in. Very big city feel to it.

Correct me if I am wrong but it will have ground level retail right?

If so then I don’t see many issues.

The design is a little plain but it is clean, which I will take any day over ugly.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 6:24 AM

Hey guys, this is my first Post and I'm excited to see Kelowna grow up and its skyline transform. I'm really into the buildings that are being built, and I actually watched the whole council meeting just for the just Leon Avenue towers. the developer not too excited to show off the amenities for the residents of the building, but the council made him show them anyways. It looks pretty impressive, it’s pretty comparable to one water street with the pool and everything. Also, has anyone heard any updates on the west Corp tower? Or is that not happening anymore

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissir View Post
Hey guys, this is my first Post and I'm excited to see Kelowna grow up and its skyline transform. I'm really into the buildings that are being built, and I actually watched the whole council meeting just for the just Leon Avenue towers. the developer not too excited to show off the amenities for the residents of the building, but the council made him show them anyways. It looks pretty impressive, it’s pretty comparable to one water street with the pool and everything. Also, has anyone heard any updates on the west Corp tower? Or is that not happening anymore
Hey Welcome! Feel free to fill us in on any juicy council meeting info you hear. As far as westcorp project, your guess is as good as mine. Every project that has been proposed there seems to get some amount of approval and then sit as an empty lot for another 3 years. But as far as I know, it's still an active proposal but up to the developer to get going on it. There were rumblings that the construction delay may have been related to the ridiculous Speculation tax that is currently still in Kelowna as many of the condos in that building would potentially be "non-primary dwellings".

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 7:20 PM

46 Storey application

Just landed on city development page. 46 storey tower next to Mission's Bernard block. Will get more info in as it hits the media.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 9:17 PM

Yupp. Wow. Quite a nice podium compared to others in the City. They're asking for rental-only zoning for 25% of the building, and 20% of the units will be family-sized 3 bedrooms. 280 units. That name though....

Just wild proposal action:

Ktown by csbvancouver, on Flickr

Ktown 2 by csbvancouver, on Flickr

Link to the Rezoning Package: http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...468%201476.pdf

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Yupp. Wow. Quite a nice podium compared to others in the City. They're asking for rental-only zoning for 25% of the building, and 20% of the units will be family-sized 3 bedrooms. 280 units. That name though....

Link to the Rezoning Package: http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...468%201476.pdf
Just dug through the package a bit, looks like it'll be approximately 459.83ft or 140.15m tall, a new tallest for Kelowna.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 11:57 PM

Okay, that's a tastefully designed building. Wish the Leon Ave towers were more like this. Slender and tall towers. Beauty.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 4:09 AM

Quote:

That’s exciting!! Hopefully council approves of it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 4:17 AM

Great proposal but New Town don't exactly have a good track record of following through with their towers. Aren't they behind Aura and the Jenga tower on Cedar Avenue that haven't ever progressed past the initial proposal?
I know they have completed some nice four and six story developments though.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 4:45 AM

I think New Town is the architectural firm, not the developer. The proponents of Aura and the Cedar Avenue “Jenga” tower were two different owners. Not sure who is behind this project.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 4:46 AM

Took some photos today, looks like demo is on the Bertram site, and the Landmark and second One Water Street towers are getting the siding and glass installed.

Took a photo of Leon Ave to compare it when they start building

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo Fan View Post
I think New Town is the architectural firm, not the developer. The proponents of Aura and the Cedar Avenue “Jenga” tower were two different owners. Not sure who is behind this project.
I see, makes sense. Its a beauty tower, they sure do design nice buildings.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 5:23 PM

This tower would be roughly 20th tallest in all of BC. If it were built in Edmonton, it would be the 5th tallest. Amazing.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 6:26 PM

These Kelowna proposals are punching really above the City's weight - the confidence to put the money to work in Kelowna is really telling of the towns future.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 12:46 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissir View Post
Took some photos today, looks like demo is on the Bertram site, and the Landmark and second One Water Street towers are getting the siding and glass installed.

Took a photo of Leon Ave to compare it when they start building

I can't see your pictures, unfortunately.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 2:20 AM

Imagine if all proposals actually got built. Kelowna would look like Vancouver in the next ten years!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twindragon View Post
Imagine if all proposals actually got built. Kelowna would look like Vancouver in the next ten years!
It would definitely look like a west coast city, but like Victoria many of these proposals do seem to have a local “Kelowna”flare to them, which is good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia