HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:31 PM
video et taceo

love haters

sometimes you have a love/hate relationship with a city. for instance, montreal: i love it because it is irrepressible, antiquated, lively, seasonally bipolar and pretty in a watertower kind of way. i hate it because it is lazy, meagre, overgoverned and it also has that quality where when you start listing its failures, you see your own, personal ones. fuck.

so let's try london: on the plus side, it's vast, culturally pre-eminent, historic, full of life, occasionally beautiful and a crossroads of the world. on the minus, it's grey, cold, managerial, expensive and socially tolerant of the crassest material snobberies.

let me know.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 6:03 PM

I love Phoenix due to the fabulous low humidity weather, the general ease of living, light traffic, clean, not congested, smooth pavement and sidewalks, no snow, no ice, no gloves, no moon boots, no heavy coats, little rain, etc.

I hate Phoenix due to the ignorance of large percentage of the people that live here, the rampant sprawl and resulting pollution and lack of urbanity that drives me nuts. I hate the large numbers of red staters here, the low tax, laissez faire, lowest-common denominator development here. I hate the lack of tall skyscrapers and the fact Phoenix destroyed most of what little history she had because "new was better." I hate the lack of mass transit, logical shade structures, wide streets, and narrow minds and sidewalks. A bus stop is not a sign on a pole, dammit! I hate white trash and people that don't have any desire to improve their lot in life - you know, the low goal, woe is me types because they think the world owes them a living (and from which I came). Phoenix has too many of these types of people.

--don

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 6:38 PM

I love Toronto which is accidently emerging as a great world city.

I hate Toronto because the idiots who run the place are cut from the same cloth as the idiots (not you Pierre) who run the country.

Canada and Toronto are much loved around the world... inspite of those who are trying to manage them into obscurity.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 6:39 PM

Great thread idea BTW, though the title could use some work. ;-)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 6:40 PM
Dryer lint inspector

love: winters/late fall/early spring, cosmopolitan, energy, continued growth and availability to arts, culture and entertainment.

hate: summers, traffic, lack of an identity, socially disconnected, shitty urban planning, seemingly high percentage of shitbags and a laissez faire mentality on just about everything.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 7:43 PM
E pluribus unum

Los Angeles

Love: The quirkyness that you can only find if you trek off the beaten paths and stay away from the tourist traps.

Hate: Disneyland, the length of separation between points of interest that are only accessible by car (SPRAWL), the lack of a cohesive rail system, the uppity assholes who interact with the tourists giving them the impression that LA is as vapid and egotistical as the media makes it out to be.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 8:06 PM
America's Hometown

What I Love About Philadelphia: The historical importance of the city. The vast cultural amenities. One of the best downtown's in America. Our passion for our sports teams. Mummers...Cheesesteaks....Hoagies....the wonderful selection of restaurants....Tastycakes....amazing skyline...the wealth of colleges that impact the area... It's central location along the Northeastern Corridor that allows you to either go to mountains or the shore...New York or DC..in just a matter of a couple of hours. The weather never stays too severe for long periods of time in summer and winter. Having a mass transit system that is wide reaching...the great urban squares...the intimiate alleyways of Society Hill...knowing the fact that I walk down the same streets as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin did over 200 years ago...it's walkability...amazing housing stock...the vista down the Ben Franklin Parkway from the Art Museum....The Spirit of Rocky Balboa...being underdog city in almost everything which keeps us from being some snotty, pretentious place....the livabilty of the majority of the neighborhoods all over the city...and mostly it's a big city with big city amenities but with a small town, homey feel to it.

What I Hate About Philadelphia - Negadelphians. I hate them with a passion. They have no idea how good they actually have it and think the grass is greener everyplace else in the world. They never offer a solutuion to any problem and only bitch and complain. They should be given one way tickets out of town.

John Street. Vince Fumo. The self serving unions. The job killing taxes. The passivity of the business community. Being rendered a back office town instead of being the major HQ city we should be...the pay to play culture of City Hall..too many people content with the status quo in things that need to be changed...SEPTA and it's incompetance...the Sure-kill Expressway...and the fact that it's been 24 mothereffin years since any of our mothereffin teams won a championship and how they rip our hearts out every damn year.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 8:14 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Shanghai

I love:

The vibe of the city, the quality of life (I live way more comfortably here on the same salary as back home) the people (local and foreign), the cheap markets, the super cheap DVDs, the food, the architecture, Old Shanghai, the nightlife. It's a city that has given me so much and asked for so little back. I feel obliged to it.

I hate:

The traffic, the pollution, the lack of manners: spitting, budging in line(trivial, I know, but some days it gets to me), having to be wise to the scam because I look different, the large gap between rich and poor.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 9:09 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNation View Post
What I Hate About Philadelphia - Negadelphians. I hate them with a passion. They have no idea how good they actually have it and think the grass is greener everyplace else in the world. They never offer a solutuion to any problem and only bitch and complain. They should be given one way tickets out of town.

John Street. Vince Fumo. The self serving unions. The job killing taxes. The passivity of the business community. Being rendered a back office town instead of being the major HQ city we should be...the pay to play culture of City Hall..too many people content with the status quo in things that need to be changed...SEPTA and it's incompetance...the Sure-kill Expressway...and the fact that it's been 24 mothereffin years since any of our mothereffin teams won a championship and how they rip our hearts out every damn year.
Damn... don't you think you're being a little negative?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 12:26 AM
Meh

For Austin.

Love the culture, the music, creativity of the city's citizens and the encouragement of art in just about any form. Love the progressive/forward thinking views. Love the acceptance of different people. Love the parks. Love that the city is mindful of nature and the environment, recycles and supports green building. Love the scenic topography of the region. Generally love the weather, especially our spring and fall seasons. LOVE the food.

Hate the traffic, the sprawl which is encroaching on the Hill Country. Generally dislike hot weather, though I can stand it, but hate the humidity of late spring/early summer. Hate that there's no better alternative to roads, we need more rail transit. Lightrail in the city, street cars and a high speed commuter train between Austin and San Antonio. Our highways need updating, (I-35 is 50 years old). I hate and fear the idea of Austin becoming just like every other city in America. Need more affordable housing in downtown, something below $200,000 would be nice.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 12:59 AM
恭喜发财!

For Calgary

Love: The weather - usually dry, not too hot, not too cold; the natural beauty, the proximity to the mountains, the booming economy, the skyline, the GROWING skyline, The Bow, the Bow, Chinatown, the usually clean air, the parks, the C-Train, Druh Farrell.

Hate: The traffic - gets worse every year; the sprawl and the lack of comittment from Council to deal with it; the NIMBYs that try and derail every single higher density and TOD development, the growing homeless problem, the growing crime problem, the insane increases in cost of living, the lack of comittment to solving the rental crisis, the crappy road designs, Madeline King, Rob Anders, Dr. No and other politicians of his ilk, the assumption that everyone here is a redneck ultra-conservative, the smog that is becoming more and more obvious every year.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 1:05 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Damn... don't you think you're being a little negative?
LOL my thoughts exactly. PhillyNation's hate list is almost identical to mine if I were to compile one, but if I say those same exact things, many on here (including PN I am sure ) quickly tell me to stop being so negative and then offer me the "one-way ticket out of town".

But yeah, there is a lot I love about Philly, a lot I hate...it's like anywhere I guess! But at least the good here FAR outweighs the bad IMO. Not like my other town...you know, a certain capital city about 75 miles west of where I'm at now.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 1:11 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Not enough time or space to list what I love and hate. So I'll set two crystal examples that reprsent everything that's right and wrong with this town.

Right: Jon Runyan

Wrong: Stephen A. Smith

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 1:38 AM
Man on a mission

Harrisburg,

Love: The personality of the "city" Tons of stuff within easy walking distance. The sence that its going to be something wonderful. The river. The friendliness of the residents. Mayor Stephen Reed

Hate: 19th street bottleneck. Mayor Stephen Reed Why is there nothing on the river on the east shore. The west shore attitudes. The GTA and their courthouse.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 1:43 AM
roma volo

as far as atlanta goes..
love the [amazing, interesting, quirky..] people, the skyline, the arts, the olympics, the TREES, the food, the club scene, the crazy street grid, the "civil rights locale", the diversity (including the acceptance of gays/lesbians), the weather (most of the time), the location close to beaches and close to mountains, the architecture, the parks, the neighborhoods (cabbagetown, inman park, candler park, castleberry hill..), LAND TRUST!, the abandoned train tracks, the environmentalism, the college students, the parties, the proposed green, marta, the pleasant and nice neighbors.. the list goes on and on.

hate the [ignorant, selfish, materialistic..] people, the lack of density, only being known for the olympics and sprawl, the stereotypes that come with being southern, the SPRAWL, the racism in neighboring suburbs, the nasty heat, the traffic, the lack of pedestrian and bicyclist respect, the new development that looks artificial, the lack of commuter rail, the light pollution, the air pollution, the water pollution. what else?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 2:19 AM
Technoaddict

Charlotte

Love: Nice skyline, I especially like the Bank of America building. Decent weather, doesn't get too cold, but the summers are humid and hot.

Hate: Sprawly, you definitely need a car to get around in this city. Too many closed minded and ignorant people. Not enough urbanity. Way to many christian fundamentalists.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 2:26 AM

Miami:
I love the diversity, the flavors, the way the sea breeze smells in the afternoon, the summer thunderstorms, the buzz, the hope that springs eternal unlike any other place I've ever been. Anything is possible here.

I hate the traffic, the exclusivity and segregation that diversity breeds, the lack of a cohesive plan for the future of this place, the lack of a sense of history or place that comes from having over 50% not even born in the US, much less Miami itself.

Much of what I love and hate about the place is related and oftentimes a direct result of each other.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 3:14 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Los Angeles

Love: I love the combination of its ethnic, religious, and cultural diversity because that makes it one of the most dynamic cities on the planet. I love the weather here. I love the fact that in the winter you can be skiing in the mountains and later that day lay out on the beach in 70 degree weather. I love the fact that you can be in the wilderness and still be in the city. I love the skyline. I love the various neighborhoods. I love the wide range of museums, restaurants, cafes, clubs, bars, and shops. I love the Walt Disney Concert Hall. I love Antonio Villaraigosa. I love Eli Broad. I love the concentration of celebrities (seriously). I love the media attention we get. I love our ports. I love the bands associated with the city. I love the fact that we're the only city to have hosted the Olympics twice. I love the creative people here. I love to go to Griffith Observatory and look out over the vast expansive Basin at night. I love to go to the Getty Center and do the exact same thing. I love that our city has a strong identity that no one can mistake us for another city.

Hate: I hate the fact that we don't have a city center that's reflective of our global status. I hate the fact that we don't have an efficient and extensive mass transit system the size of New York, London, Tokyo, and Paris. I hate the fact that we have so much air pollution and don't get enough rain to clean the air. I hate the traffic. I hate the fact that we don't have a skyline that's up there with New York, Honk Kong, and Chicago. I hate the fact that there are only pockets of urbanity here and there rather than a continuous stretch. I hate the fact that we're labeled as a "superficial" and "fake" city. I hate the fact that there aren't enough parks. I hate the fact that we don't have a Chinatown on par with New York and San Francisco. I hate the fact that there are too many damn powerlines. I hate the strip malls. I hate the fact that many of the streets aren't pedestrian friendly. I hate the bland architecture. I hate the sprawl. I hate the graffiti. I hate the fact that LAX is an outdated airport.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 3:44 AM

Vancouver

I love: The natural beauty of building a city where the mountains and river meet the pacific ocean, the Seawall (a 20+ km long continuous pedestrian and cycling waterfront walkway the encircles downtown Vancouver, False Creek, and runs along English Bay, connecting at least six beaches and too many parks to count, including Stanley Park, a 1000 acre forest literally next door to the downtown core), the staggering ethnic and cultural diversity (one of three cities on earth without an ethnic majority, the most Asian city in North America), the tourists, the wonderful food and restaurants, the SkyTrain and electric trolley buses, the local mountains and their ski hills, accessible by transit and only a half-hour from downtown, the good schools, the construction, the lack of a downtown freeway, cruise ship season, the general lack of freeways period, the history of progressive politics, the newness of the city, the 10,000 years of First Nations' (Canada's aboriginal people) history in this place, being the terminus for the transcontinental railway, YVR -Vancouver's international airport, being half an hour from the US border and a part of the Pacific Northwest (though Vancouver geographically is Canada's Southwest), the sunny warm summers, the mild year-round climate, the brief suggestion of winter that is gone before you've found your toque and boots, the skyscrapers of downtown, the general density of the City of Vancouver and its wonderful streetcar suburbs (now sadly lacking streetcars), the rain, the tolerance of the city to other cultures, lifestyles, and sexual orientations, the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, etc. The list just goes on an on.

I dislike (I don't really hate anything): The language barriers that keep so much from being shared, the idiots from the suburbs who come downtown to the clubs and cause havoc, heart-wrenching poverty and addiction in the Downtown East Side that everybody wants to address but usually end up making worse, the slow acculturation time for new immigrants to the subtle mores of local customs (like not budging in line, spitting, burping, or repeatedly clearing one's throat), the fundamental difference in landuse patterns between the 19th century street layout of the City of Vancouver that promotes transit, walking, cycling, etc., and the 20th century automobile suburbs that make up the rest, the idiocy of our Provincial and Federal politicians when it comes to virtually every urban issue (all of the political parties get enough support from the rural areas for them to tend to ignore the cities or offer some pittance and then expect ever-lasting gratitude in return), the unfordable cost of urban housing that drives people to the outer suburbs and the lack of new rental housing (the rental vacancy rate in Vancouver is 0.1%, that could be a rounding error in any other calculation), the mild depression that can crop up in winter when it is gray and overcast for a month straight. The list is pretty long, but most of it is so massively outweighed by the positives that you just accept it and move on.

Overall, I absolutely love Vancouver and yet I can still see areas for improvement. To me that is the mark of a pretty great city.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Aug 8, 2007 at 3:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 4:14 AM
Qualified Egg

Toronto

Love: The diversity, tolerance, vibrancy, cosmopolitanism (to an extent), the fact I can walk (almost) anywhere at 1 AM and feel 100% safe, relative cleanliness, Koreatown and Chinatown.

Dislike: The architecture of many of the city's staple buildings, unproductive decisions and projects, and the Canadian winter.

I really don't hate anything about Toronto (hence my switching to dislike) and the fact I had such a hard time coming up with negatives about this city speaks to how happy i am here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions