HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Ha ha. They are hoping to add a few floors but we tried that and were told structural engineers don’t just build in extra capacity for no reason. We will see if they can figure out a way.
Can you say who bought it? Also, how's the value engineering looking? Grim? I imagine the buyer is saving a pretty penny since the foundation is done (dimes on the dollar?), here's to hoping there's enough cash for the original design.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 8:24 PM

Heard a rumour on site today that this project is indeed going ahead and they’re adding 5 stories.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Heard a rumour on site today that this project is indeed going ahead and they’re adding 5 stories.
I Imagine adding a few floors will make it more worthwhile & sustainable.
We certainly need more housing.
With a similar look to the original design at 19 - 20 floors, I like it.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:51 PM

Quote:
This would be great news. With Sutton Place restarting and (hopefully) the first stages of the Portage Place renewal, the Wehwehneh (Bay) redevelopment, the downtown core could be humming with construction activity.

i suppose I'm hooked on optics, but if the Jets make a deep playoff run the city will have a fair amount of media coverage in the area. Seeing construction cranes everywhere should make quite a visual impact.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Well that would be amazing.

I'm curious to see what design changes happen...mainly concerning cladding. I was looking forward to the brick facade from top to bottom.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
This would be great news. With Sutton Place restarting and (hopefully) the first stages of the Portage Place renewal, the Wehwehneh (Bay) redevelopment, the downtown core could be humming with construction activity.

i suppose I'm hooked on optics, but if the Jets make a deep playoff run the city will have a fair amount of media coverage in the area. Seeing construction cranes everywhere should make quite a visual impact.
Also Forks Railside, Marketlands, 308 Colony St, 109 Mayfair Ave, and 127 Bannatyne Ave.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 2:46 AM
surely you agree with me

It’ll be completed in some fashion for sure. The group spent tens of millions of dollars buying it out of bankruptcy. It will still be a while yet however. Especially if they are making changes. New building code. New drawings. New permits. Could be a long time.

I would be surprised if they were able to add extra floors. It’s already built to the third floor and engineers don’t design that kind of extra capacity into foundations for no reason. It’s unlikely they will incur the cost of somehow increasing that capacity.

Will be interesting to see what they do to it though.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 1:48 PM
the first stamp is free

^ getting rid of the brick will save a lot of weight on the foundation!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 2:32 PM

Noooooo lol

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 3:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Rough and dirty - for brick veneer on a 14-floor building ~140 ft tall - that's 5,600 pounds a lineal foot on the perimeter foundation - less obviously where there are windows - but its certainly some weight.

With the safety factor that's 7000 pounds every foot, or an extra 14" diameter pre-cast pile every 20-feet for dat brick.

That's not yet accounting for the extra brick angle supports every floor, over the windows and extra stiffness in the back-up walls to make sure it doesn't crack. You can understand why so few developers are willing to pay the $$ for this.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 4:41 PM
What could go wrong?

dat brick mon...she be heavy mon...

In my best Bob Marley voice
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 4:51 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

interesting

so how is it that that in st b that one hole on provonchea cant get filled but they can get this rebooted :'(

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 5:47 PM

The hole's in St. B are being filled..

Seriously though, the building next to the chocolate place is in foundation work.

The place across the street is supposed to be starting demo this spring from what we've heard.

The last piece is the property from the garage fire at the corner of St. Joseph that has no plans from what I know.

re: 300 St. Mary Ave

Can confirm the site is still inactive.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 6:06 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

The last piece is the property from the garage fire at the corner of St. Joseph that has no plans from what I know.

There is a plan in the works.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 6:18 PM

Excellent! Do you happen to know if that includes the garage across the back lane or just the property along Provencher.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 7:11 PM
What could go wrong?

St Joseph from Dumolin to Provencher.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 7:49 PM

Nice.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 11:03 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Rough and dirty - for brick veneer on a 14-floor building ~140 ft tall - that's 5,600 pounds a lineal foot on the perimeter foundation - less obviously where there are windows - but its certainly some weight.

With the safety factor that's 7000 pounds every foot, or an extra 14" diameter pre-cast pile every 20-feet for dat brick.

That's not yet accounting for the extra brick angle supports every floor, over the windows and extra stiffness in the back-up walls to make sure it doesn't crack. You can understand why so few developers are willing to pay the $$ for this.
Doesn’t seem like a big deal to me. Five or six more piles for a $40 million building.

Every single time I do brick, the developer does an alternate price for something else and they end up choosing the brick because the savings aren’t what they expect.

Even if they clad it with the painted styrofoam developers like, I don’t think it would be enough to enable extra floors. We looked at it as an option after bankruptcy and were told no. And that structural engineer uses a reeeeeeeealy big safety factor.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 11:55 PM

Vike, are you still professionally involved in this project?

And more generally, when a building starts construction, does the architect/architecture firm hand over what they've got and walk away, or do they typically stay involved until the very end? I really have no idea.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Vike, are you still professionally involved in this project?

And more generally, when a building starts construction, does the architect/architecture firm hand over what they've got and walk away, or do they typically stay involved until the very end? I really have no idea.
I'd venture a guess that the Architecture and P. Eng firms would stay involved during the project for approving any change orders or RFI's that come up as the General Contractor and the subs work thru the project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan