HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 8:28 PM

They started Phase 3 study of freeway

https://saskatoonfreeway.org/phase-3/

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 8:36 PM
Unregistered User

I am so confused as to the status of this project. Didn't the province announce at one point that they were halting all consultations and essentially mothballing it until further notice? Is this the "further notice"?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 2:21 AM

It's a small thing, but... hard to have faith in this project when they can't even spell Dalmeny.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 4:19 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

What is it with ring roads in Saskatchewan not completing the loop ?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 4:55 AM
Unregistered User

Last edited by phone; Nov 22, 2023 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 5:01 AM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
What is it with ring roads in Saskatchewan not completing the loop ?
Big land use constraints in the SW quadrant (that area is already quite built up with acreages; the river valley is quite broad there; large parks in the area) and that quadrant would see the lowest traffic. Vehicle movements from Hwy 7 heading south and east from Saskatoon will likely just cross the river south of Saskatoon at Outlook. The main movements this project is attempting to streamline is along the Yellowhead and Hwy 11. Hwy 7 on the other hand, is mainly a local consideration that doesn't need the exurban long-haul infrastructure, and is sufficiently served by Circle Drive.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 1:05 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Future-proofing may still be needed, however.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
I am so confused as to the status of this project. Didn't the province announce at one point that they were halting all consultations and essentially mothballing it until further notice? Is this the "further notice"?
Says right in the release that construction may still be 10-15 years off. The study is about reserving all the necessary land before someone builds on it. I guess they won't buy the land right away, but add some restriction to the land titles that if you requested a building permit, it would be denied.

It will allow things to still be built around the freeway, but let developers know where the interchanges so they can plan with that in mind.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 6:30 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho111 View Post
Says right in the release that construction may still be 10-15 years off. The study is about reserving all the necessary land before someone builds on it. I guess they won't buy the land right away, but add some restriction to the land titles that if you requested a building permit, it would be denied.

It will allow things to still be built around the freeway, but let developers know where the interchanges so they can plan with that in mind.
I understand that this is the initial consult phase of the project, and that there is no anticipated timeline for construction or land acquisition. What I had previously understood was that the consultation phase had been put on pause, which given the relatively close attention I've paid to this project, is why I was surprised to hear that phase 3 planning had commenced.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 5:33 AM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
It's a small thing, but... hard to have faith in this project when they can't even spell Dalmeny.
Relatedly, “Neault Road (formerly Dalmeny Road)” reminds me of “X (formerly Twitter)”.

I understand that Mo Neault contributed significantly to the west end, but Dalmeny Road is a well-established name for decades and decades. I hope that one day they name it back to Dalmeny Road, and name a major west-end civic facility after Neault instead. Maybe it could even be right on Dalmeny Road (formerly Neault Road).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 8:43 PM

Some debate about freeway within city council

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskato...ting-1.6759889

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan