HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Not to mention the east side. It will have a whole different look driving in from #1 east with 4 new interchanges.

I also notice on page 8 of the link that they have clarified that the Fleet St. at-grade intersection will be right turns only, but the Courtney St. at-grade will be all-turns. Yikes. How scary is that. The whole system has only one at grade crossing. Some combine crossing the highway is gonna get smoked by a semi. I suppose they figure almost no one will use that intersection for the foreseeable future. They will have automatic traffic lights I assume.

http://www.saskbuilds.ca/projects/Re...022%202014.pdf
There is that one. However, the one I am more concerned about is the Armour Road "All Access" point. There is a tonne of traffic using Armour Road at all times of the day. I live in Lakeridge and see it first hand the amount of traffic.

I know they are trying to save money. But even a simple flyover with 4 acceleration ramps like one shown here:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.70178.../data=!3m1!1e3

Would be more than sufficient and allow for MUCH safer operation of the whole system. And would also give the added benefit of "Future Proofing" the Bypass. And for roughly $20-25M Both access points would be safer.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
There is that one. However, the one I am more concerned about is the Armour Road "All Access" point. There is a tonne of traffic using Armour Road at all times of the day. I live in Lakeridge and see it first hand the amount of traffic.

I know they are trying to save money. But even a simple flyover with 4 acceleration ramps like one shown here:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.70178.../data=!3m1!1e3

Would be more than sufficient and allow for MUCH safer operation of the whole system. And would also give the added benefit of "Future Proofing" the Bypass. And for roughly $20-25M Both access points would be safer.
Right forgot about that one and that it had been previously discussed. I would think that the north stretch of the bypass would have much less traffic initially than the TransCanada portion.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Right forgot about that one and that it had been previously discussed. I would think that the north stretch of the bypass would have much less traffic initially than the TransCanada portion.
Well it may, but you have to Remember that trucks (Triples (175') and Doubles (120')) will be leaving the Hub and Traveling North on Highway 11, as well as loads coming in from the North. Also I would imagine that as truckers talk about the bypass. More WB TC to NB 11 truckers will be going south and around. Rather than deal with City traffic, lights and possible trains on Ring Road. Much less fuel wasted staying at highway speed then slowing down and accelerating.

So I think it will have a lot more traffic than people might initially think.

Last edited by North_Regina_Boy; Sep 25, 2014 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Well it may, but you have to Remember that trucks (Triples (175') and Doubles (120')) will be leaving the Hub and Traveling North on Highway 11, as well as loads coming in from the North. Also I would imagine that as truckers talk about the bypass. More WB TC to NB 11 truckers will be going south and around. Rather than deal with City traffic, lights and possible trains on Ring Road. Much less fuel wasted staying at highway speed then slowing down and accelerating.

So I think it will have a lot more traffic than people might initially think.

It seems like a large proportion of the double and triple rigs on Hwy 11 now are Co-op fuel trucks. Unfortunately they will continue to use the Ring Road.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 4:40 AM

Quote:
It seems like a large proportion of the double and triple rigs on Hwy 11 now are Co-op fuel trucks. Unfortunately they will continue to use the Ring Road.
Yes unfortunately they will . However reading a report from AECOM after full build-out of the GTH. "Truck traffic was estimated at 15 percent of all traffic, corresponding to 860 trucks per hour at full development. The trucks will be mostly B-Trains, but the design vehicle is the turnpike triple which is three full sized trailers."

http://www.canadianconsultingenginee...ginaBypass.pdf

So that correlates to 20,640 Trucks / day. I would assume at minimum 10-15% of them will be tandem 53' trailers bringing that total to a little over 3,000 double tandem trailer movements a day.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Yes unfortunately they will . However reading a report from AECOM after full build-out of the GTH. "Truck traffic was estimated at 15 percent of all traffic, corresponding to 860 trucks per hour at full development. The trucks will be mostly B-Trains, but the design vehicle is the turnpike triple which is three full sized trailers."

So that correlates to 20,640 Trucks / day. I would assume at minimum 10-15% of them will be tandem 53' trailers bringing that total to a little over 3,000 double tandem trailer movements a day.
860 trucks/hour??!!!! Hahahaha, too funny!!! That will result with one truck every 4.19 seconds, 24/7!!! Lol!

(Not.)

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
860 trucks/hour??!!!! Hahahaha, too funny!!! That will result with one truck every 4.19 seconds, 24/7!!! Lol!

(Not.)
Yea I thought it was a bit odd too. But I don't write it, I just reports it

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 3:14 PM
arf

Now I want to go sit by the Ring Road some day and count trucks.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Now I want to go sit by the Ring Road some day and count trucks.
Do take a video, and good notes. We may want to report the findings to the Ministry of Highways and AECOM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 8:35 PM

Construction of the interchange for the West Regina Bypass and Highway 11 will commence during July '15. Ownership of the parcels involved to be finalized in December. Topo survey; survey postings; soil samples are already complete. Commercial developments to be in the vicinity of the said interchange.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 3:35 AM

Quote:

(Not.)
Well, the busiest parts of the Ring Road are 70,000 vehicles/day which is 3000/hour, so it is not inconceivable. Remember it's both directions. Today I drove the ring road 6 times.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 3:45 AM

Hydrovacing to find utilities and geotechnical drilling are to take place on the South portion of the bypass in the next 7-10 days. No offers have been made to land owners so far by the department of highways.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Well, the busiest parts of the Ring Road are 70,000 vehicles/day which is 3000/hour, so it is not inconceivable. Remember it's both directions. Today I drove the ring road 6 times.
A truck every 4.19 seconds, 24/7???!!!! Even an addlebrained 7-year-old would see through that! That would still exceed a major military mobilization. Lol!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 3:21 PM

Quote:
A truck every 4.19 seconds, 24/7???!!!! Even an addlebrained 7-year-old would see through that! That would still exceed a major military mobilization. Lol!
Well a 7 year old is in grade 2 and this is at least grade 3 math. They are not going to build a $1.2 billion freeway without accommodating traffic growth. If you take the current Ring Road traffic counts and double them and use their ratio of 15% trucks the you get those kind of volumes. I think where these numbers fall down is that a lot of this traffic will still be spilt with the Ring Road.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 3:24 PM

Yeah, something is wrong with those numbers.
From page 8 of the above report it does state, "Truck traffic was estimated at 15 percent of all traffic, corresponding to 860 trucks per hour at full development." This implies total daily traffic of (860x24)/.15 = 137,600 vpd. By their own estimates on the same page 8 the maximum anticipated vehicles per day (vpd) is 35,200 at full development (Global Transportation Hub fully developed). So the 860 trucks per hour is off by a factor of about 4 relative to the 35,200 vpd maximum anticipated. Something is goofy there.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 3:04 PM

Well I know we aren't Calgary's population or anything. But the Deerfoot sees in excess of 158,000 Vehicles per day (VPD) so if they are future proofing this road, their 137,600 of which 35,200 are directly associated with GTH might not be an outrageous number. It is one however that we are unlikely to see for quite a while and is even hard to imagine in Regina in general.

With the 137,600 being the total traffic, as it might have been stated wrong in the report as "trucks only"

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 3:16 PM

Also this accident:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1585819/de...-improvements/

Prompts the question. Seeing as they plan to close the main street access in 3 years once the Balgonie Overpass is built.

See here: http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/adx/as...09+v07+drf.pdf

Why not close it now? Or at least make it right turn only? How many more people have to die on this section of road? Especially this intersection with its close proximity to a high-school with inexperienced drivers, and large proportion of trucks.

Last edited by North_Regina_Boy; Sep 29, 2014 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 6:46 PM

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/regin...604/story.html

Regina bypass will bisect new neighbourhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader Post
The City of Regina is planning a new neighbourhood that the bypass will bisect.

The proposed neighbourhood is in the southeast quadrant of the city, covering a flag-like shape south of the Trans-Canada Highway, north of Arcola Avenue, and east of Woodland Grove Drive, extending beyond Tower Road. The bypass will run north-south parallel to Tower Road, about 400 metres east of it.

"We just deal with it, that that's one of the characteristics of the land," said Mayor Michael Fougere.

He said landowners in the area want to see development on the eastern side of the bypass, and the city sees this area as an attractive strip for industrial development.

The city has a double role in this plan, as it's both landowner and regulator. It has been working with 17 landowners to come up with a neighbourhood plan for the 1,700 acres.

"It's really a consensusbased process," said Fougere.

Jana Sinclair, with Brown and Associates Planning Group, the Calgary-based firm behind the plan, said most landowners have been on the same page.

Her colleague, Nathan Petherick, said the high-level plan consists of residential, mixed use, retail and industrial development.

Petherick said the bypass hasn't been a major point of discussion, although it will influence development plans to a certain degree.

The Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure handed the company preliminary right-of-way information, which the neighbourhood plan must respect. A noise impact study and risk assessment will guide setbacks and efforts to mitigate the effects of being so close to the highway.

The ministry has also been working closely with the city when it comes to access to the bypass and traffic management related to Arcola Avenue East, said Highways and Infrastructure spokesman Doug Wakabayashi.

"The planning that we've done has taken into account the city's development plans, including the southeast quadrant. As a result, the work the city is doing now on the southeast neighbourhood plan won't result in any significant impact on the Regina bypass project," he said.

Petherick doesn't think the bypass will affect the appeal of the land either. He said the strip to the east of the bypass will be restricted in terms of what can built there (it will likely be reserved for light industrial use), and the neighbourhood won't have direct access to the bypass.

The planning company is breaking from the norm of doing a public consultation post-application to the city; it is opening a draft neighbourhood plan for comments next week.

"We just wanted to make sure by the time the city received an application it was actually reflective of all of the input we would get," said Sinclair.

The open house is being held Nov. 25 from 4 to 8 p.m. at Living Hope Alliance Church (3900 Arcola Avenue East).

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 7:16 PM

"(it will likely be reserved for light industrial use), and the neighbourhood won't have direct access to the bypass."

If the bolded part changes. I, along with others I am sure, will be VERY agitated.

Thanks for posting the article Mike328!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 9:55 PM

Assuming it's industrial/commercial use and there are no at-grade crossings then that seems fine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan