HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Drove this stretch again over the Family day weekend and the speed limits were set at 110. Not sure if this is due to the new Alberta laws or if it is permanent. Either way it was good to see. Also pleasantly surprised to see the road appears to be three lanes until the river crossing just south of 67th Street.
That's good to hear but I wish this province would stop building bridges that have less lanes than the roads leading to them.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 9:40 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
That's good to hear but I wish this province would stop building bridges that have less lanes than the roads leading to them.
In this case it looks like the new bridges are three lanes (hard to tell for sure in the snow and final markings might not be painted yet). But the old bridge over the Red Deer River is still 2 lanes so that is the new bottleneck going northbound.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Drove this stretch again over the Family day weekend and the speed limits were set at 110. Not sure if this is due to the new Alberta laws or if it is permanent. Either way it was good to see. Also pleasantly surprised to see the road appears to be three lanes until the river crossing just south of 67th Street.
110, but in standard Alberta fashion they have added the additional 3rd lane on the right, so everyone remains in the left two lanes doing 90. Still, I guess it gives anyone paying attention their own VIP lane to do the speed limit.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
This one isn't about highway construction at all, but definitely worth a read:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ason-1.5028016
So happy about this, photo radar is all about revenue an has nothing at all to do with safety.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
110, but in standard Alberta fashion they have added the additional 3rd lane on the right, so everyone remains in the left two lanes doing 90. Still, I guess it gives anyone paying attention their own VIP lane to do the speed limit.
What does it matter what side they add a lane to? Also, where are you seeing people going faster in the far left lane than in the other lanes? I see it on some city roads but they're not freeways.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
That's about a mile of twinning, and west of Edmonton, not east as the article says. $100 million doesn't buy much!
I measured about 2.6 km on Google Maps.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
What does it matter what side they add a lane to? Also, where are you seeing people going faster in the far left lane than in the other lanes? I see it on some city roads but they're not freeways.
Because people are dumb, lazy and don't care about lane discipline. The roads should be designed to account for this fact. By adding the lane on the right, no one bothers to move over so the lane stays empty and is almost worthless. If it was added on the left, at least people could use it properly as an overtaking lane.

This problem is even worse with climbing lanes, where even professional truck drivers are often too lazy/oblivious to move, and stay doing 80km/h up the middle.

People on the left should be going faster! That's how a multi lane road is supposed to work. Unfortunately, it is not a law in this province and no one gives a shit.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 10:59 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

That's disappointing. I thought only Ontario drivers don't know to keep right except to pass.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 11:02 PM

That's why they changed the passing lanes in BC to default people onto the right lane so they had to consciously change to the left lane to pass people.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
That's disappointing. I thought only Ontario drivers don't know to keep right except to pass.
It's all of North America. The states is worse still.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Yes, it has been 110kph for a few weeks now. NOT permenant. It is only 110 because work cannot proceed on the interchange while the Canada Games are in Red Deer. Once the 'winter shutdown' is over, it will be reduced to 80kph to accomodate final construction of the interchange during the spring. And then it will be done and back to 110kph for good.

QEII is now 3 lanes each way from 32nd Street overpass down to MacKenzie Rd in Gasoline Alley. The new lane SB was added on the right side, causing people to stay left and centre which is kind of stupid in my opinion but most likely done that way to accomodate expansion in the future.

People are still missing their exits tho.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 3:11 PM

Ah, that's the new law forcing them to not lower the speed limit when no construction is happening. Sweet!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Ah, that's the new law forcing them to not lower the speed limit when no construction is happening. Sweet!
Who's lowering the speed limit on that road anyway? Are contractors allowed to set the speed limit during construction?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 5:34 PM

I assume so.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 8:40 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
Yes, it has been 110kph for a few weeks now. NOT permenant. It is only 110 because work cannot proceed on the interchange while the Canada Games are in Red Deer. Once the 'winter shutdown' is over, it will be reduced to 80kph to accomodate final construction of the interchange during the spring. And then it will be done and back to 110kph for good.

QEII is now 3 lanes each way from 32nd Street overpass down to MacKenzie Rd in Gasoline Alley. The new lane SB was added on the right side, causing people to stay left and centre which is kind of stupid in my opinion but most likely done that way to accomodate expansion in the future.

People are still missing their exits tho.
I missed it going into Gasoline Alley the first time as well. The signs are there but it's not obvious that you need to exit very early now to get into Gasoline Alley. Yeah the sign says 'next two exits' but I didn't realize the second exit was well past all the services and you have to double back to the north to get anywhere. Actually I did know that exit was like that but did not think they would consider that an exit into Gasoline Alley so I was still expecting one close to where the original was. It will take some time to get used to but not a bid deal.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 4:30 AM

^ I think they are putting in proper overhead signage this spring or after the games leave town.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 3:12 PM

AoG is putting 54 million toward the Ray Gibbons drive twinning. Work to start in 2020.

Downside is they are only going from Villeneuve Rd to the Henday. Not making this a true bypass from highway 2.

St Albert was going to start this year on twinning , but in short sections. The Sturgeon river crossing should be the most expensive part. but they did do foundation work for the bridge when the built the first section.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 6:01 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Highway 3 bridge in Lethbridge over the river being replaced & expanded:
http://https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/ctv-lethbridge/video?clipId=1637378&binId=1.1484062&playlistPageNum=1

Couldn't help but chuckle when they mentioned 3 lanes each direction (thinking of the odd number of lanes on BC bridges discussion).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
http://https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/ctv-lethbridge/video?clipId=1637378&binId=1.1484062&playlistPageNum=1

Couldn't help but chuckle when they mentioned 3 lanes each direction (thinking of the odd number of lanes on BC bridges discussion).
Too bad they still have to get approvals before they can even start to design the new bridge. It'll probably be 2024 at the earliest before this is done.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post

That's awesome news!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia