HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 2:58 AM
Made in Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Looks like our former BMO site in the middle of Downtown will have a ~50-62 storey, 175m tower.

---
The projects listed in the Colliers report as under construction come onstream this year and next. Regency Developments’ proposed tower smack in the heart of the city’s financial district is targeted for 2022.

Raj Dhunna, Regency’s chief operating officer, seems unperturbed by the number of competing properties.

The as-yet-unnamed tower was expecting development permit approval as early as this month, Dhunna says.

The plan is to spend 18 months building an underground parkade on the former site of a BMO bank, and then start working on the above-ground portion which could include a 12-floor hotel and a 50-storey residential tower.

https://renx.ca/apartments-condos-do...elopment-boom/

---

old/initial rendering - They are back to design committee soon and so I would expect something quite a bit more refined.

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4865905.153974057...n-bmo-site.jpg

Very exciting....cant wait to see what they have in store.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 2:08 AM

Québec City

New Condo-Hotel proposal in Québec City by GM développement in the St-Roch neighbourhood, 10 floors, should start by the end of 2019.

It will replace an abandonned gas station that was demolished a couple of years ago.

Location on google : https://www.google.com/maps/@46.8113...7i13312!8i6656

Article in Le Journal de Québec : https://www.journaldequebec.com/2019...ans-saint-roch

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 2:32 PM

Nice one for Québec City. St-Roch has some great architecture.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Nice one for Québec City. St-Roch has some great architecture.
I agree. Bricks with an industrial look fits very well with this area of the city!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 6:30 AM
ARTchitecture

That Quebec City one is gorgeous very elegant and classy. The Edmonton one... needs a lot of work, but the height has a lot of potential if they can get a decent design.

Eau Claire South Block - Calgary

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 9:37 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Very cool Calgary proposal.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:17 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Preliminary concept for the redevelopment of the Westside Mall, located next to the future Caledonia station on the Eglinton line & Barrie GO line:

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2019/02/...edonia-station
This is suburbia. I think they could easily squeeze in a few more towers. This is a subway station afterall.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:21 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Québec City

New Condo-Hotel proposal in Québec City by GM développement in the St-Roch neighbourhood, 10 floors, should start by the end of 2019.

It will replace an abandonned gas station that was demolished a couple of years ago.

Article in Le Journal de Québec : https://www.journaldequebec.com/2019...ans-saint-roch
Looks like a facadectomy. Not bad though.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:30 PM

Devimco's proposal for the Bassin Peel in Pointe-Saint-Charles near Griffintown. This proposal is for a land that the Canada government own and wants to sell. It is also the land that the team of investors who want to bring back the Expos has chosen for a possible baseball stadium. There could be also a REM station build by the Caisse (Ivanhoe Cambridge is a partner with Devimco in this proposal). We'll see what happened.

The Devimco project includes 4500 residential units, plus office spaces and a hotel.

Article in La Presse (in French)

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:34 PM
what it is

I am starting to see a Nordic trend in Canada, that reminds me a lot of Ørestad here.

As the neighbourhood builds out it is starting to work well, and the Montreal location is a lot better.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Québec City

I like it. Great looking neighborhood too. We need more areas dominated by buildings with brick and masonry.
The opposite of political correctness is not unvarnished truth-telling. It is political expression that is careless toward the beliefs and attitudes different than one’s own. In its more extreme fashion, it is incivility, indecency or vulgarity. These are the true alternatives to political correctness. l

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
That Quebec City one is gorgeous very elegant and classy. The Edmonton one... needs a lot of work, but the height has a lot of potential if they can get a decent design.

Eau Claire South Block - Calgary

This one looks great by the renderings...hope it fulfills its promise.
The opposite of political correctness is not unvarnished truth-telling. It is political expression that is careless toward the beliefs and attitudes different than one’s own. In its more extreme fashion, it is incivility, indecency or vulgarity. These are the true alternatives to political correctness. l

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:19 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence, but setbacks appear to be becoming a lot more prominent in recent proposals. Which is fine by me, they do add a certain flair to the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:27 PM
I am the law!

The Calgary proposal is designed to maximize buildable space within the river valley shadowing bylaw.

The proposal is not new. It's been around for years and has been posted here many times.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:23 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The Calgary proposal is designed to maximize buildable space within the river valley shadowing bylaw.

The proposal is not new. It's been around for years and has been posted here many times.
This was the original proposal:

I'm not sure if this is Phase 1 or if they got rid of the residential component. It's hard to tell from the rendering how much of the site the twin proposal occupies. I'll be shocked if anything happens. This has been dragging on for over a decade. I'd hate to be a tenant in Eau Claire mall. Would love it if this gets built though.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 5:37 PM

199 Church St Toronto
37-storey
122 metres high.

source: http://urbantoronto.ca

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 6:06 PM
ARTchitecture

Setbacks are absolutely not a new thing in Canada, least of all in Calgary where our entire skyline sets back from the river valley as encoded in our bylaws. The proposal for the Eau Claire market redevelopment isn't new and has of course been posted here, but the revised south block has not been posted here.

And yes Otac, I think it would be the first part to go ahead. It would only make sense, as that site is currently the entire parking area, so the mall could maintain most of their operations during construction, then the cineplex and foodcourt and some other retailers could move their once complete, before the demolition of the "market".

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 6:18 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
This was the original proposal:

I'm not sure if this is Phase 1 or if they got rid of the residential component. It's hard to tell from the rendering how much of the site the twin proposal occupies. I'll be shocked if anything happens. This has been dragging on for over a decade. I'd hate to be a tenant in Eau Claire mall. Would love it if this gets built though.
Those renderings represent the approved plan from several years ago. It's been value engineered a bit. These are residential towers. The office tower has been put on hold and will be a temp surface parking lot. The glass atrium/mall has been dropped.

Harvard has been attempting to unload it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 1:28 AM

I like those pointy triangles.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 1:43 AM

The brick and dark painted metal on 199 Church is promising but those exposed concrete columns are hideous.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada