HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 11:36 PM
c'est le temps.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
Since I no longer live in NO, my vote doesn't count for much, but I'd prefer to have the pictures on this same thread.
You're right York! I'm not a resident any longer but I think this should be directed to people that no longer live there, also for anyone interested in doing business in NOLA but has no idea how far the city has progressed. I think ^ardecila^ has the best idea, I just don't know how it will be tied in to the forum for others to know it's there.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 12:36 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I prefer Imageshack; the process is faster and there's no limit on the number of images you can upload (unlike Flickr where you must pay for Pro).
Have you seen the new flickr... you get a terabyte free now..

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 1:41 AM
TL;DR

Dammit, I started paying for Pro a long time ago.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 7:28 AM

Prefer the pics here as well. I'm in the same boat ardecila. Dang!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 12:47 PM
c'est le temps.....

Many people I've talked to about certain projects in NOLA don't even know it's in the development stage or is in the process of being built, this could help a lot of people across the county tap in to the resources NOLA has to offer and see firsthand how things are changing for the better. I hope you guys figure out what's best for posting the pics but all I can do is encourage you. The next time I'm in NOLA I plan to spend a day taking pics of even the lesser known projects and posting. Thanks again!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:15 PM

Just wanted to add that I'm also interested in any pictures of progress and construction that people could share. I had to leave town for school this summer and won't be back until October. I try to keep up with the news, but it would be great to see all the things that are going on.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:37 PM
-

Really excellent report on retail in New Orleans and how much revenue the city loses to neighboring parishes from our residents having to shop there. $1.9 billion a year is spent in neighboring parishes and this doesn't include restaurants or bars in the report or internet sales. We actually do much better in bars and restaurants obviously. Also, doesn't include all the potential tourist dollars that are not captured because of a lack of retail options. For example, tourist loses phone and is on Sprint... they either don't have a phone while they are here or have to go to Sprint in Jefferson Parish since we don't have one in the city proper. Electronics retailers is a huge low point for the parish too. So while we are making some progress there is plenty of room for additional retail developments. Everyone here should definitely take some time and read it. We need these jobs and we need this revenue to stay inside the city!

http://nolaba.org/why-nola/2013-retail-report/

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:43 PM
c'est le temps.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Just wanted to add that I'm also interested in any pictures of progress and construction that people could share. I had to leave town for school this summer and won't be back until October. I try to keep up with the news, but it would be great to see all the things that are going on.
Thank You prokowave for adding to the momentum of encouragement in getting a visual library started for development in NOLA!!!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 4:04 PM

Ba-booooooooooooooooooooooooooom

WWII had part of the parking lot blocked off yesterday and were taking soil samples with the drilly thing (very scientific).

I know the executives well and they've continued to say it is moving along, but that appears to be some concrete progress at least to get the plans together.

I'm assuming construction is probably still a year away.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 5:09 PM
TL;DR

What's on tap for that site? I just assumed it would stay a parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post

WWII had part of the parking lot blocked off yesterday and were taking soil samples with the drilly thing (very scientific).

I know the executives well and they've continued to say it is moving along, but that appears to be some concrete progress at least to get the plans together.

Is this going to be the planned hotel?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Really excellent report on retail in New Orleans and how much revenue the city loses to neighboring parishes from our residents having to shop there. $1.9 billion a year is spent in neighboring parishes and this doesn't include restaurants or bars in the report or internet sales. We actually do much better in bars and restaurants obviously. Also, doesn't include all the potential tourist dollars that are not captured because of a lack of retail options. For example, tourist loses phone and is on Sprint... they either don't have a phone while they are here or have to go to Sprint in Jefferson Parish since we don't have one in the city proper. Electronics retailers is a huge low point for the parish too. So while we are making some progress there is plenty of room for additional retail developments. Everyone here should definitely take some time and read it. We need these jobs and we need this revenue to stay inside the city!

http://nolaba.org/why-nola/2013-retail-report/

It's insane how much sales tax revenue we lose out on each year. I think the Costo and 2 new Walmarts will help a little bit. But we desperately need affordable department stores, a full electronic store, and affordable home furnishing stores. (JC Penney, BestBuy, Target, World Market, etc.) I really hate the homogenization that chains bring to America but I find myself venturing out to the Wesbank or Metiaire a lot to get basic essentials when I don't feel like spending top dollar at a magazine street boutique for a laundry basket.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 6:33 PM

Retail

Hopefully something like a Best Buy can take Home Depot's place on Carrollton. I was looking through the report and I didn't see any mention of the Magnolia project just off of Claiborne and Louisiana. I know they had several mid-sized retailers lined up plus one or two un-named anchors. Anyone hear anything about this? I'm also curious to hear what will end up going in the South Market retail spots.

I was also wondering if HANO plans to go forward with those residential highrises on Canal as part of the Iberville redevelopment. It would be nice to see some more new high rise construction plus the added retail.

Also, I found two recently realise reports of interest:

GNOCDC has released its count of residential addresses receiving mail, which is a proxy for population growth. The overall growth between 2012 and 2013 was 1.6% - decent but slower than recent years. It seems like this is partly due to a decline in some of the West Bank neighborhoods.

http://www.gnocdc.org/NeighborhoodGr...tes/index.html

Also, Corporate Realty has released their latest report on the area's office market. Things are generally looking up, although the market still appears to be adjusting from the shuffle that occurred with the reopening of Benson Tower and the Exchange Centre (an increase of almost a million square feet of space).

http://gnorealestatenews.com/2013/09...e-market-data/

I have this theory that the CBD resident market, as robust as it is, will have to expand quite a bit before we see a whole lot of new offices moving in. There are hundreds of apartments being added annually, but with occupancy in the high 90's, there's not a whole lot of space to meet demand. Fortunately with South Market, 225 Barronne, the Elk Place building, 425 Notre Dame and others under construction we should be looking at another 600 or so units by the end of next year. Hopefully the WTC redevelopment will move swiftly as well, but there are still a lot of buildings that could be redeveloped (Plaza Tower, Rault, Oil and Gas come to mind)

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Hopefully something like a Best Buy can take Home Depot's place on Carrollton. I was looking through the report and I didn't see any mention of the Magnolia project just off of Claiborne and Louisiana. I know they had several mid-sized retailers lined up plus one or two un-named anchors. Anyone hear anything about this? I'm also curious to hear what will end up going in the South Market retail spots.

I was also wondering if HANO plans to go forward with those residential highrises on Canal as part of the Iberville redevelopment. It would be nice to see some more new high rise construction plus the added retail.

Also, I found two recently realise reports of interest:

GNOCDC has released its count of residential addresses receiving mail, which is a proxy for population growth. The overall growth between 2012 and 2013 was 1.6% - decent but slower than recent years. It seems like this is partly due to a decline in some of the West Bank neighborhoods.

http://www.gnocdc.org/NeighborhoodGr...tes/index.html

Also, Corporate Realty has released their latest report on the area's office market. Things are generally looking up, although the market still appears to be adjusting from the shuffle that occurred with the reopening of Benson Tower and the Exchange Centre (an increase of almost a million square feet of space).

http://gnorealestatenews.com/2013/09...e-market-data/

I have this theory that the CBD resident market, as robust as it is, will have to expand quite a bit before we see a whole lot of new offices moving in. There are hundreds of apartments being added annually, but with occupancy in the high 90's, there's not a whole lot of space to meet demand. Fortunately with South Market, 225 Barronne, the Elk Place building, 425 Notre Dame and others under construction we should be looking at another 600 or so units by the end of next year. Hopefully the WTC redevelopment will move swiftly as well, but there are still a lot of buildings that could be redeveloped (Plaza Tower, Rault, Oil and Gas come to mind)
As far as HANO goes I know they are phasing the Iberville Redevelopment quite a bit and the proposed high rises on Canal would be one of the last phases. Each phase applies every year for LIHTC and they win every year so the HRI/Salazar team is steamrolling along.

I couldn't agree more with your last point regarding the CBD market. I just wanted to point out that the Oil and Gas building redevelopment is in the works. They applied for 2014 round LIHTC and they were one of the highest (self) scoring applications in the state. We will see over the next few months what their final score is but I am 99% positive they will get the tax credits. Depending on where they are with their other sources, one might reasonably expect them to start work toward the end of Q1 2014. Also, the owners of the plaza tower are waiting to become Historic Tax Credit eligible and to see how the South Market district does. My opinion is that both phases of the south market will do extremely well and redevelopment of the plaza tower will be quick to follow.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 7:19 PM
-

The organization doing the oil and gas is the one that just did the Centennial Place(lykes apartments on tchoup) so they have a track record now and do good work.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 7:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
It's insane how much sales tax revenue we lose out on each year. I think the Costo and 2 new Walmarts will help a little bit. But we desperately need affordable department stores, a full electronic store, and affordable home furnishing stores. (JC Penney, BestBuy, Target, World Market, etc.) I really hate the homogenization that chains bring to America but I find myself venturing out to the Wesbank or Metiaire a lot to get basic essentials when I don't feel like spending top dollar at a magazine street boutique for a laundry basket.

This is the issue right here... but given New orleans and its lack of tons of available land I dont think we have to worry about homogenization as a whole. I think South Claiborne, New Orleans East, General De Gaulle and Broad Street are the obvious places for Big Box retail. Higher end on Magazine, Freret, CBD/Warehouse District/ French Quarter and Harrison, and medium sized stuff all over the city. Two problems I see is we need certain stores in the city period but we also need multiple locations of many that are here. Uptown New Orleans isnt convenient to someone on the westbank or in Gentilly New orleans east.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 7:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post

Dont they only have one more building to start on the main campus and then the floating roof... The hotel parking garage would be great for them to start as soon as possible too.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 10:37 PM
TL;DR

I thought the floating roof was axed due to hurricane concerns... they might go for a few sail canopies or something.

Quote:
I don't know. I'd actually prefer if they waited on those. That area can't really support a whole lot of new market-rate housing yet, and very often highrises designed to be affordable turn out pretty ugly.

Good design can obviously remedy this to some extent, but I haven't really seen any recent highrises proposed in NOLA with decent design.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 10:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I thought the floating roof was axed due to hurricane concerns... they might go for a few sail canopies or something.

I don't know. I'd actually prefer if they waited on those. That area can't really support a whole lot of new market-rate housing yet, and very often highrises designed to be affordable turn out pretty ugly.

Good design can obviously remedy this to some extent, but I haven't really seen any recent highrises proposed in NOLA with decent design.
Canopy is still a go but will be last!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 5:10 AM
c'est le temps.....

The canopy seems to have morphed a bit....it's not as large and is now louvered
I wonder if this is the most updated detail video?

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/expansion/index.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations