HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 7:47 PM

Being an old building like that, they may have ran into asbestos.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer99 View Post
Would anyone know the projected opening dates of the following:

(1) Hilton Garden on Highfield St.

(2) Hyatt on Main St.
Hilton Garden Inn Moncton just added to the Hilton booking site. Currently scheduled to open in September 2020:

https://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/...AGI/index.html

Hyatt Place Moncton/Downtown currently scheduled to open September 20, 2020:

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ca...downtown/yqmzm

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 2:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

We now know the plans that Ashford has for their assembled land on the NW corner of Highfield & Gordon:

locator map

site plan

renders

Request for variance from Moncton PAC:

Quote:
Ashford Investments Inc. variance application at the corner of Gordon/ Highfield Streets, (PID’s: 00694448, 00694984, 00694976, 00696211, 70351697 and 00696229) variances to (1). locate a driveway within 15 metres of the intersection; (2) reduce the width of a two-way driveway; (3) increase the number of driveways; (4) reduce the separation distance between driveways; (5) locate a driveway within 3 metres of the rear lot line or side lot line; (6) reduce the amount of traditional materials; (7) reduce the fenestration ratio on the ground floor;(8) To exceed the maximum height in the UR zone; and (9)To exceed the maximum height of 13 metres within 10 metres of a street and a temporary use application at 75 Gordon Street., (PID 00695015) to allow a construction parking lot for a temporary period (one year)
Comment:

The styling of this building is fairly generic and uninspired, and I am disappointed with the facade facing Gordon Street, but this is because some of the enclosed indoor parking is at grade rather than underground, thus eliminating any possibility of street level commercial or retail. Despite these reservations, this project will nicely continue with the trend of increasing height and density progressing northward on Highfield Street from the Avenir Centre. This part of town is going to continue feeling more and more urban as we continue on into the future.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 10:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently the new infill building on Main Street where Keating's Tobacco Shop is located has been sold to McGillivray Accident and Insurance Law from Halifax.

This will be a new Moncton office for the firm. They will occupy the entire building, except for Keatings.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
We now know the plans that Ashford has for their assembled land on the NW corner of Highfield & Gordon:

locator map

site plan

renders

Request for variance from Moncton PAC:

Comment:

The styling of this building is fairly generic and uninspired, and I am disappointed with the facade facing Gordon Street, but this is because some of the enclosed indoor parking is at grade rather than underground, thus eliminating any possibility of street level commercial or retail. Despite these reservations, this project will nicely continue with the trend of increasing height and density progressing northward on Highfield Street from the Avenir Centre. This part of town is going to continue feeling more and more urban as we continue on into the future.
I haven't posted here in years, but I really needed to pronounce myself on this one. I am SO disappointed as well by the design of this building.

Moncton is in dire need of some great architecture, but it seems like developers are now all turning to this Spitfire firm for the design of their buildings, which lacks any type of creativity or curb appeal.

If you look at all the buildings they designed in Moncton so far, they all follow the same formula of two to three color tones used on a third or half of the building, then some grey stone as an accent somewhere. Very often the same colors, the same materials across the buildings.

Honestly, it looks like someone designed a home, then put it in some software that follows a formula and turns it into a building just based on specs entered.

It's cheap, it's uninspired. Makes me sad to see this happening all over the city. The last thing I want to see is the city filled with this bunch of similar-looking, generic buildings built to look only slightly better then the old vinyl clad buildings we used to see, because of one firm's formulaic process.

Sorry for the rant - but I've been meaning to post this ever since I started seeing all the new projects sporting the same bland look.

Developers need to level up their game and find inspiration elsewhere too.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 1:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good points.

To be fair, Spitfire is a design studio run by architectural technologists, and not architects. Their designs will be competent, but not artistic or creative. For a medical analogy, it's a bit like being seen by a nurse practitioner rather than a physician when you are sick. The NP will give you competent care, but may miss subtle signs of something more serious going on.

Spitfire would be a cheaper option for developers than utilizing the services of an architect, but the end result will be competent and serviceable rather than spectacular and innovative. There is nothing inherently wrong with their designs.

One thing I would like to know is what the plans are for the remaining house on Highfield that is not going to be torn down (PID 00696229). They are removing a portion of the back end of the house, and it appears they are incorporating the landscaping of the property into the adjacent apartment building. I wonder if they are going to fix the property up and rent it out as a commercial business???

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 27, 2020 at 1:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 2:34 PM

Quote:

Good points.

To be fair, Spitfire is a design studio run by architectural technologists, and not architects. Their designs will be competent, but not artistic or creative. For a medical analogy, it's a bit like being seen by a nurse practitioner rather than a physician when you are sick. The NP will give you competent care, but may miss subtle signs of something more serious going on.

Spitfire would be a cheaper option for developers than utilizing the services of an architect, but the end result will be competent and serviceable rather than spectacular and innovative. There is nothing inherently wrong with their designs.

One thing I would like to know is what the plans are for the remaining house on Highfield that is not going to be torn down (PID 00696229). They are removing a portion of the back end of the house, and it appears they are incorporating the landscaping of the property into the adjacent apartment building. I wonder if they are going to fix the property up and rent it out as a commercial business???
One of the first things I thought about too when I saw their plans. Large older home that at some point was probably converted into apartments. For now it looks like it's staying.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 2:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrdevlop View Post
I haven't posted here in years, but I really needed to pronounce myself on this one. I am SO disappointed as well by the design of this building.

Moncton is in dire need of some great architecture, but it seems like developers are now all turning to this Spitfire firm for the design of their buildings, which lacks any type of creativity or curb appeal.

If you look at all the buildings they designed in Moncton so far, they all follow the same formula of two to three color tones used on a third or half of the building, then some grey stone as an accent somewhere. Very often the same colors, the same materials across the buildings.

Honestly, it looks like someone designed a home, then put it in some software that follows a formula and turns it into a building just based on specs entered.

It's cheap, it's uninspired. Makes me sad to see this happening all over the city. The last thing I want to see is the city filled with this bunch of similar-looking, generic buildings built to look only slightly better then the old vinyl clad buildings we used to see, because of one firm's formulaic process.

Sorry for the rant - but I've been meaning to post this ever since I started seeing all the new projects sporting the same bland look.

Developers need to level up their game and find inspiration elsewhere too.
I affectionately refer to this architectural style as "Maritime Cheap". It's far from being exclusive to Moncton.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 2:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
One of the first things I thought about too when I saw their plans. Large older home that at some point was probably converted into apartments. For now it looks like it's staying.
Here's a thought - maybe Ashford is going to keep the house and turn it into their own office space. This might explain why they seem to be integrating the landscaping of the house into their overall design........

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Here's a thought - maybe Ashford is going to keep the house and turn it into their own office space. This might explain why they seem to be integrating the landscaping of the house into their overall design........
It's a nice looking old house with a lot of character. The way they have laid out those new sidewalks does seem to connect it to the new development. Maybe they are going to use it for their own purposes.

On another note - the demolition of the Paramount is now continuing. It will be interesting to see what they build there.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
It's a nice looking old house with a lot of character. The way they have laid out those new sidewalks does seem to connect it to the new development. Maybe they are going to use it for their own purposes.
Yeah that’s a beautiful victorian style home and I’m really happy to see they are preserving it. The sidewalks they’ve laid out are pretty much the same sidewalks that are already on the property if you look at the property in google maps street view. They’ll likely just replace them and probably widen them, but also connect them to the rest of the property.

In regards to the new building, I actually don’t mind if. While the colours are pretty bland, it does say the building will be mix use, and based on the multiple doors on the corner, it appears there will be room for at least 2 commercial units. I also like the way they have angled the corner of the building towards to the intersection. That’s a nice touch.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 1:40 PM

[QUOTE=MonctonRad;8875605]

Good points.

The fact that this building is six-storeys is a refreshing change from the usual four floor jobs we have seen the last while. Hopefully the money saved by using Spitfire will be poured back into the quality of the units. Any project in the Maritimes is welcome given today's uncertain economic future.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 10:35 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Not explicitly stated before, but the new apartment building at Gordon & Highfield will be 65 units

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Not explicitly stated before, but the new apartment building at Gordon & Highfield will be 65 units
Great location, low vacancy rates - they shouldn't have any problem renting these units. With both Tannery Place buildings already fully leased, this area is going to have a lot more residents and will become much more vibrant. Not to mention the two new hotels. Now if 1222 Main Street could finally get redeveloped!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 12:02 AM

This place now has a name: Lakeview Villas
www.lakeviewvillasmoncton.com
Ready to move in this spring. Looks really really nice inside!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 12:10 AM

A mix of the old, the new and the renovated.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 11:55 AM

Apparently according to posts on the retail Facebook group, navigators and the 2nd floor night club are now gonna be the Cosmo. There goes another 2 bars down the tubes.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
Apparently according to posts on the retail Facebook group, navigators and the 2nd floor night club are now gonna be the Cosmo. There goes another 2 bars down the tubes.
Disappointed with the lack of creativity and the loss of Navigator's.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 12:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yeah, Navigator's had some character. This is a regressive move IMHO.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 7:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another photo from Retail Talk & Share showing the ongoing demolition of the old Paramount.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces