HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engibeer View Post
I found it interesting how it is reported as 'Phase Two of Four' but nowhere can I seem to find what phase three and four entail.. anyone have any details?
Here is some info:

https://www.engagestjohns.ca/kenmount/faqs#5624

The entire project will go to TGH with expected completion in the fall of 2021.

I'm going to assume that Phase 3 will be next year and will be Peet to Pippy Place, and Phase 4 in 2021 will be Pippy to TGH.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 2:56 PM

Re: Direct to Ireland Flights

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 10:48 AM

sorry was in wrong thread. moved News

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 3:00 PM

Prep work seems to have started at YYT on the new arrivals wing. They have construction equipment there in the last day or two removing the pavement in the large parking lot directly next to the current arrivals area.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 5:12 PM

I also notice that the section of land between World Parkway (at the entrance to the Airport) and the area behind the Holiday Inn is being cleared. Anyone know what the plans are for this space?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I also notice that the section of land between World Parkway (at the entrance to the Airport) and the area behind the Holiday Inn is being cleared. Anyone know what the plans are for this space?
I heard before that there was supposed to be a stand alone restaurant built on the site next to the hotel....similar to the Fairfield with Fionn's or the Hampton with Boston Pizza.

There is also supposed to be a Robins/Pizza 241 on the empty corner of the roundabout

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 7:21 PM

The Penney group who own the Holiday Inn Express hotel are building a restaurant and a Robins Donut franchise from what I understand. The restaurant won’t be a national franchise though. The building will may also house some offices for the Penney’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 1:18 PM

The McNamara-Topsail roundabout is completed with all lane markers and signage. Looks like they just need to finish the medians and sidewalks. I would venture to guess drivers in that area are very happy to see this completed.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:48 PM

Lane changes coming to Kelsey Drive and Goldstone Street in St. John's

I'm not sure how much this will alleviate traffic congestion in the Goldstone-Kelsey area during commuting hours. Hopefully it will.

The Telegram
Oct 1, 2019

https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...-johns-359253/

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I'm not sure how much this will alleviate traffic congestion in the Goldstone-Kelsey area during commuting hours. Hopefully it will.

The Telegram
Oct 1, 2019

https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...-johns-359253/

This will do very little to help in my opinion. The city seems to like roundabouts as of late.....and this is actually a place where there is room to build them. Traffic would be able to flow without stopping for extended periods.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
This will do very little to help in my opinion. The city seems to like roundabouts as of late.....and this is actually a place where there is room to build them. Traffic would be able to flow without stopping for extended periods.
Roundabout at Pippy Pl and Goldstone would also do wonders.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 4:00 PM

Airport Expansion West

Getting ready for footings

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engibeer View Post
Roundabout at Pippy Pl and Goldstone would also do wonders.
And something needs to be done about the TGH intersection just west of that. The amount of traffic turning left from Kelsey Dr to go north on the highway in the afternoon rush is brutal.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPKE View Post
And something needs to be done about the TGH intersection just west of that. The amount of traffic turning left from Kelsey Dr to go north on the highway in the afternoon rush is brutal.
That particular problem was exacerbated by not having a TGH North ramp when proceeding East on Kenmount.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
That particular problem was exacerbated by not having a TGH North ramp when proceeding East on Kenmount.

It seems like history repeating itself. First it was east-bound traffic on Kenmount Road having no direct access to Prince Phillip Drive east-bound. Now it's the same situation with the Team Gushue. This is the main east-bound route.....most traffic heading into the city will want to utilise one of these thoroughfares.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
It seems like history repeating itself. First it was east-bound traffic on Kenmount Road having no direct access to Prince Phillip Drive east-bound. Now it's the same situation with the Team Gushue. This is the main east-bound route.....most traffic heading into the city will want to utilise one of these thoroughfares.
Exactly. It was well opined during the construction phase, but I guess right of way issues were difficult. Of course in a larger center, a one lane flyover would be implemented from Kenmount Eastbound lane, but the expense to add same here, would be deemed too expensive(progressive?).

Although it would have been ridiculous for new construction, I'm surprised that they didn't add another stop light and left turning lane to go North. It's usually how connections are done here.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Exactly. It was well opined during the construction phase, but I guess right of way issues were difficult. Of course in a larger center, a one lane flyover would be implemented from Kenmount Eastbound lane, but the expense to add same here, would be deemed too expensive(progressive?).

Although it would have been ridiculous for new construction, I'm surprised that they didn't add another stop light and left turning lane to go North. It's usually how connections are done here.
Speaking of left turns across traffic, I am surprised there hasn't been a bad crash yet on Portugal Cv. Rd. and ORR. there are 2 ridiculous left turn accesses there both North & Southbound, across 2 lanes of traffic, some doing over 80, probably most. If you drive the speedlimit between the airport and Holiday Inn, people pull around you like you are standing still!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Speaking of left turns across traffic, I am surprised there hasn't been a bad crash yet on Portugal Cv. Rd. and ORR. there are 2 ridiculous left turn accesses there both North & Southbound, across 2 lanes of traffic, some doing over 80, probably most. If you drive the speedlimit between the airport and Holiday Inn, people pull around you like you are standing still!

I totally agree! I travel this route every day and I have witness numerous close calls. Very dangerous. And like everywhere else, speeding is a major concern.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:

I was thinking of the one lane flyover myself ( for Kenmount to PPD as well) but quickly ruled it out. As you point out it'd probably be too expensive. The volume of traffic involved wouldn't justify it IMO... as much as I'd like to see it.

Last edited by Offshore1; Oct 19, 2019 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Grammar

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 9:24 PM

Yeah, I've seen close calls there as well. Frightening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's