HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 8:04 PM

Developer: Ryan Ridge owner of Ridgix Building Solutions Inc.
Architects: Northern Sky Architecture Inc.
Contractor: Unknown
Media: New life for vacant sites in St. Vital
Renderings & Construction pics: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=172
Description: Six-storey, mixed-use building in the Lavalee neighbourhood of St. Vital with 77 residential units — and five commercial spaces at street level.

An outdated rendering of the proposed building near the southeast corner of St. Anne's Road and Hindley Avenue, as seen from the northwest. The developer says the project's latest plans call for balconies in the rental units facing St. Anne's Road, similar to the balconies seen on the north side of this rendering. (Supplied / Ridgix Building Solutions Inc.)

Site of the proposed mixed-use development near the southeast corner of St. Anne's Rd. and Hindley Ave. (City of Winnipeg)

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 2:43 PM

Medical Arts conversion, taken yesterday, from Bay parkade.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:11 PM

Construction started on the lot beside Santa Lucia on Henderson, was there any mention of what's going up here?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:21 PM

I think it's a small strip mall with parking in front. Maybe I'm totally thinking of the wrong spot though.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:27 PM

I was thinking of this. Wrong location.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...0417(RM)ETC-42

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
Construction started on the lot beside Santa Lucia on Henderson, was there any mention of what's going up here?
A strip mall. :/

I thought the city planning department didn't support strip malls on main corridors anymore?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
A strip mall. :/

I thought the city planning department didn't support strip malls on main corridors anymore?
That's what I thought too... I was surprised to see that one going up on Pembina at Chevrier.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's what I thought too... I was surprised to see that one going up on Pembina at Chevrier.
That's why I'm wondering why this one on Henderson was seen as okay... as I recall, the one at Pembina and Chevrier was opposed by the planning department (ie, the planners wanted them to bring the building up to the street and park in the back), but the property owner appealed and Councillors allowed the strip mall.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:13 PM

Ah, so I wasn't dreaming.. Not liking the trend on Henderson. All the recent developments have parking lots at the front..

I assume it has to do with restrictions on parking in the rear off back lanes. I notice there is a minimum 10' setback from the property line in the front. I see this setback in some of the newer-ish buildings on Henderson. The ones with no parking in the front. But then the new Fort building is right to the sidewalk. So

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Ah, so I wasn't dreaming.. Not liking the trend on Henderson. All the recent developments have parking lots at the front..

I assume it has to do with restrictions on parking in the rear off back lanes. I notice there is a minimum 10' setback from the property line in the front. I see this setback in some of the newer-ish buildings on Henderson. The ones with no parking in the front. But then the new Fort building is right to the sidewalk. So
It's just nice to see the empty lots along Henderson finally disappear as some had sat vacant for a couple decades, think the lot at Henderson and Johnson is now the only vacant lot left and there is a push in that neighbourhood to turn it into a park!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 5:28 PM

It is nice, for sure.

Take the "strip mall". Why not just build it to the property line and let the people use on street parking like they do all along Henderson already? Is it zoning or the local area plan?

Instead Henderson is devolving into a suburbanized sea of parking. Sure this isn't downtown and I don't expect it to be super urbanized. But it seems pretty basic when immediately east and west of this location does not have parking in the front.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:12 PM

Even if they just went with a reverse strip mall with parking in the back it would be better. At least on major streets.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It is nice, for sure.

Take the "strip mall". Why not just build it to the property line and let the people use on street parking like they do all along Henderson already? Is it zoning or the local area plan?

Instead Henderson is devolving into a suburbanized sea of parking. Sure this isn't downtown and I don't expect it to be super urbanized. But it seems pretty basic when immediately east and west of this location does not have parking in the front.
The no parking from 15:30 until 17:30 is the main deterrent for building to the front property line along that section of Henderson!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The no parking from 15:30 until 17:30 is the main deterrent for building to the front property line along that section of Henderson!
And that location @ Dunrobin is suppose to be a Drugstore / Medical office use according to the variance request. We all know how long we have to wait past our appointment times to see the DR. so having off street parking is probably a good idea.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Even if they just went with a reverse strip mall with parking in the back it would be better. At least on major streets.
Yes. The zoning bylaw requires a certain about of parking based on the size and use being proposed. But, mathematically speaking, if you've got the space to provide parking in the front, you've got the space to move the building to the street edge and provide parking in the back.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 9:30 PM
Ignore these four words.

This building on Corydon was done right. All the parking is in the back.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.86327...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 11:35 PM
Winnipeg

https://downtownwinnipegbiz.com/down...ection-agenda/

"Downtown Winnipeg BIZ joins partners from coast to coast to put downtowns on federal election agenda".

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 4:15 AM

Fort Rouge Gardens (Lot 6)

Fort Rouge Gardens
Location: Infill TOD at Fort Rouge yards, Berwick ct at Argue St.
Developer: Ironclad Developments Inc.
Description: Transit oriented development at the Fort Rouge yards near the Fort Rouge Station along the Southwest Transitway.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 4:48 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
https://downtownwinnipegbiz.com/down...ection-agenda/

"Downtown Winnipeg BIZ joins partners from coast to coast to put downtowns on federal election agenda".

Nice initiative, but about one month too late.

I'd put the seriously mentally ill off the streets into a drug treatment facility. Those that would be deemed untreatable, lock them up and throw away the keys into Brandon or Selkirk or similar.

Put more $ towards more lighting downtown. I've seen a few videos of Tokyo built up areas with lots of lighting. It just makes it safer at night.

Video Link

Something like The Anx-Buhler-Plug-In-Stellas (Portage @ Memorial) corner, Macdonald Youth Centre signage, Marlborough Hotel signage is what downtown Winnipeg should strive to have more of in terms of lumens of light. Am hoping that 300 & 330 Main St. and the rest of that development will be bright. Hoping that other corners of P&M increase the brightness. It's so depressing to be riding an eastbound bus at night on Portage and turn south onto Main St. when it's dark. That corner needs some serious lighting installed to make it feel like Tokyo video above...making it feel SAFER.

Last edited by LilZebra; Oct 19, 2019 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 5:10 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Fort Rouge Gardens
Location: Infill TOD at Fort Rouge yards, Berwick ct at Argue St.
Developer: Ironclad Developments Inc.
Description: Transit oriented development at the Fort Rouge yards near the Fort Rouge Station along the Southwest Transitway.

Nice to see transit-oriented proposal coming up so quickly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan