HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Just out of curiosity, which is the bridge to nowhere east of St. Annes?
On the old Dawson Trail road just as it enters Sandilands Provincial Forest, its off the south side of the road about 150 yards over the Brokenhead River. Nice approach on either side, but no bridge. Paid for by the citizens of Manitoba.

This was part of the roadway that was to provide access to the Hadishville area for the purpose of bringing cordwood into Winnipeg from the other side of the 'big swamp'. The original Dawson trail headed S/E towards Rainy River and Sioux Narrows, Ontario. Early French settlers were plagued with crossing the big swamp and the next generation of users rallied for an improvement of the trail. In order to gain the French vote, the opposition promised to construct a road through the area. A contract was awarded to Roblin's company, but the bridge was never built, and the rest is history.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
On the old Dawson Trail road just as it enters Sandilands Provincial Forest, its off the south side of the road about 150 yards over the Brokenhead River. Nice approach on either side, but no bridge. Paid for by the citizens of Manitoba.

This was part of the roadway that was to provide access to the Hadishville area for the purpose of bringing cordwood into Winnipeg from the other side of the 'big swamp'. The original Dawson trail headed S/E towards Rainy River and Sioux Narrows, Ontario. Early French settlers were plagued with crossing the big swamp and the next generation of users rallied for an improvement of the trail. In order to gain the French vote, the opposition promised to construct a road through the area. A contract was awarded to Roblin's company, but the bridge was never built, and the rest is history.
Very interesting. As we've mentioned before, please write a memoir or book about Winnipeg's political wheelings and dealings from back in the day. I love your stories about Bernie Wolfe doing this, Stanley Knowles doing that, etc.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Called and logged my complaint...traffic engineers will be notified and look into the issue. Hopefully MIT traffic engineers respond to light timing issues faster than the city ones do.
I would guess because there are less provincial traffic signals and they are more spread out it may take just as long if not longer for them to take a look.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 4:25 PM

Im not sure what they are doing at the Perimeter/Waverly intersection. I know Northbound Waverly will be no-more (and is currently blocked) as a result of Kenaston at Perimetre opening. But they have Waverly south of the Perimeter closed too and appear to be ripping up both lanes.

I assume this is to make a larger intersection for traffic turning onto Waverly. It just seems like its going to be bad for traffic flow to have two lighted intersections so close together.

Also, is Waverly going to be extended to Brady in the near term? And if so, whats the plan with Brady. I actually use Brady in the winter (until it snows since the city barely plows it). I saw one map indicating Brady would be closed and no longer end at Perimeter....?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:08 PM

This is what's going on with Brady Road area. Brady will not connect to 101. You'll need to use the new PR 330 intersection, which from what I hear is completed or nearing completion? Service road along 101 is now extending to Waverley.

Waverley south of 101 is being widened to have a east turning lane and west turning lane. With a deceleration lane approaching Waverley from the west. no acceleration lane for vehicles travelling to the east from Waverley.

Waverley north of 101.

And no I don't work for Stantec, haha.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:24 PM

Not sure if it was posted on this thread, or just in the Winnipeg Roads thread. PTH 59N and PTH 101 Interchange project is going ahead.

Direct link to PDF is here.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:28 PM

^ lol, three lights within what, maybe a mile?? Truckers heading to and from Centerport to 75 will just love that. Go Centerport!

This place is a mess. We allocate hundreds of millions to build new interchanges (CCW, 59/101 and McGillivary) to eliminate traffic lights then go ahead and approve two new lighted intersections. Freakin unbelievable

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:36 PM

You got it dude!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 11:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^ lol, three lights within what, maybe a mile?? Truckers heading to and from Centerport to 75 will just love that. Go Centerport!

This place is a mess. We allocate hundreds of millions to build new interchanges (CCW, 59/101 and McGillivary) to eliminate traffic lights then go ahead and approve two new lighted intersections. Freakin unbelievable
Issue here is some of the perimeter hwy is in city limits and the rest provincial. So it's a hodgepodge of a system.

People from LaSalle should be paying for a proper interchange. They are the ones who skipped out on paying city taxes. Same as Oakbank. Even Oakbluff the way it's growing.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 12:07 AM

Parts of it may be in Winnipeg's boundry's but both highway's 100 and 101 were built and still maintined by Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation and not the City of Winnipeg.

The only thing the city looked after was Lagamodier Blvd before the east section of 101 was complete, and MIT paid for the inital construction by the city.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Issue here is some of the perimeter hwy is in city limits and the rest provincial. So it's a hodgepodge of a system.

People from LaSalle should be paying for a proper interchange. They are the ones who skipped out on paying city taxes. Same as Oakbank. Even Oakbluff the way it's growing.
Agreed. One thing I'd like to know is...why could Waverley south of the perimeter not be realigned to continue NW and meet up with Kenaston?? Then cut Waverley off from 100 entirely and eliminate a light. Makes too much sense for traffic light happy Manitoba I suppose..

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:

Don't forget about the mess that Highway 1 is through Headingley! Net effect on traffic flow is probably negative even with Centreport.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 1:00 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post

They already do. That's what taxes are for and their tax money goes to improving the Perimeter. It may technically be a provincial highway for the most part but it really only serves Winnipeg. So why are people in Brandon and Churchill paying for Winnipeg's infrastructure needs ? Because modern societies have governments that look out for the needs of jurisdictions that extend beyond our back yards.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
They already do. That's what taxes are for and their tax money goes to improving the Perimeter. It may technically be a provincial highway for the most part but it really only serves Winnipeg. So why are people in Brandon and Churchill paying for Winnipeg's infrastructure needs ? Because modern societies have governments that look out for the needs of jurisdictions that extend beyond our back yards.
Because people in Winnipeg are also paying for Brandon and Churchill's infrastructure needs. The problem with people living in bedroom communities around the city is that they may pay provincial taxes towards the perimeter but they pay very little toward the upkeep of Winnipeg roads and infrastructure, which is where a high percentage of those residents shop and work.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:43 AM

it annoys me actually around 65 percent of the province live in winnipeg yet we get nothing for the goverment its bs

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:30 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpa View Post
it annoys me actually around 65 percent of the province live in winnipeg yet we get nothing for the goverment its bs
65% of the population is based in Winnipeg, yet ~40% of eligible voters in the whole province made the NDP stay at Broadway for another 4 years.

This is a discussion for another topic, but we're all living in a house of mirrors with most of us not realizing it. The powers that be that are sitting in each of their respective levels of government, thanks to the power of democracy that unfortunately, the rest of the ~60% of the eligible population didn't even bother to exercise their right in democracy.

I'll go to bed now...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:48 AM

PTH 59N/101 Interchange Update:

As you may be aware, I live with my parents in one of those 10 homes being expropriated. We got some good news this week. The Province's desired expropriation date has slipped even further. Jared Moroz, a Manager (Land Acquisition Services; Appraisals and Consulting Services) with the Crown Lands and Property Agency, notified us earlier this week that the new possession date is August 1st 2015, something I believe is more realistic.

As things go, I will keep you guys here updated.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:04 PM

That's good news, a little more time for you. I wonder if they've refined there construction schedule/staging which gave you more time. Maybe the March date they gave you before was a blanket statement for all affected.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Agreed. One thing I'd like to know is...why could Waverley south of the perimeter not be realigned to continue NW and meet up with Kenaston?? Then cut Waverley off from 100 entirely and eliminate a light. Makes too much sense for traffic light happy Manitoba I suppose..

Good point. So many people in St Norbert and south use Waverly. We will now have to drive over to Kenaston or Pembina. The long term plan is for Kenaston to connect with Waverly though isnt it? As part of some sort of by-pass?

Also, its a shame they dont coordinate construction plans. With Waverly closed, there is basically one way to get out of St Norbert - Pembina HWY which is down to one lane at that location. Long lines in the morning.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 8:20 PM

There is likely a reason that the Global Transportation Hub (In Regina) with access to it soon via a 4-lane Grade separated highway with access to Highways 1 and 11 are going to be a more logical choice. The only really BIG plus Centreport has is the fact you have direct connection to Interstate 29 (albeit full of obstacles) where we only have highway 39 a two-lane highway connecting to a similar road in the US.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan