HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 10:26 PM
Buss1234 Buss1234 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4
If the Rose Street Tower Building isn't going forward, have you heard of any projects or developments that might go on that lot? (the lot that's bordered by Rose St, 11th, 12th & Broad). It's prime time real estate that could really add to the skyline of the downtown. Until the economy improves, nothing will probably happen, but just curious....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 9:17 AM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Can any one confirm the Rose St. Project has been canceled. Updating threads. Thx
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 1:54 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Can any one confirm the Rose St. Project has been canceled. Updating threads. Thx
I do not think it is accurate to say it is cancelled. The developers own the property, have significant resources and have spent a lot on design. They need to attract an anchor tenant, as their first 2, FCC and SGI, fell through.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 4:27 PM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan Nathan is offline
Hmm....
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I do not think it is accurate to say it is cancelled. The developers own the property, have significant resources and have spent a lot on design. They need to attract an anchor tenant, as their first 2, FCC and SGI, fell through.
The SGI move was temporarily shelved... I'm thinking post-election there will be some news; the current SGI building needs a lot of work, so you could still see them sell it off and move somewhere else.

I think the more accurate status for this tower, at least presently, would be "on-hold".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 4:30 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
The SGI move was temporarily shelved... I'm thinking post-election there will be some news; the current SGI building needs a lot of work, so you could still see them sell it off and move somewhere else.

I think the more accurate status for this tower, at least presently, would be "on-hold".
There may be news about SaskTel, SaskPower and SGI. All 3 have significant office issues.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 5:33 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I do not think it is accurate to say it is cancelled. The developers own the property, have significant resources and have spent a lot on design. They need to attract an anchor tenant, as their first 2, FCC and SGI, fell through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
The SGI move was temporarily shelved... I'm thinking post-election there will be some news; the current SGI building needs a lot of work, so you could still see them sell it off and move somewhere else.

I think the more accurate status for this tower, at least presently, would be "on-hold".
Sounds good. It may proceed in the future in one form or another depending on availability of tenants and market conditions for office space. On-Hold sounds reasonable. Thx.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 5:43 PM
Chaps Chaps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
There may be news about SaskTel, SaskPower and SGI. All 3 have significant office issues.
Move all 3 into a 50 storey mega-tower?

SaskTel head office doesn't have any major issues though as far as I'm aware. Some dated interior design, but structurally there aren't any concerns?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 5:53 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,854
Don't count out Brandt. They have huge office demands and with Westerra developing up to their borders it might finally force them downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 5:57 PM
Treesplease Treesplease is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
There may be news about SaskTel, SaskPower and SGI. All 3 have significant office issues.
I thought the expansion/consolidation of SaskPower "operations activities" out at GTH would help resolve issues they may have downtown?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 6:20 PM
SkydivePilot SkydivePilot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: REGINA
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
The SGI move was temporarily shelved... I'm thinking post-election there will be some news; the current SGI building needs a lot of work, so you could still see them sell it off and move somewhere else.

I think the more accurate status for this tower, at least presently, would be "on-hold".
Well, back during the winter of '06-07, the SGI Building required approximately $75-million in repairs. Maybe the gov't could sell it (for a song) to, perhaps, ALT Hotels - or to another entity. (The floor-to-ceiling height would be greater than a typical hotel though.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 7:14 PM
MadMax MadMax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Don't count out Brandt. They have huge office demands and with Westerra developing up to their borders it might finally force them downtown.
BD2 posted this in the main thread back on Jan 26. Not sure if it means the Rose St. tower or not but Brandt and Marquart are the developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Maybe, but rumor has it that Brandt/Marquart are the next recipients of the province's selective generosity.

One of the urban reserves has been attempting to get some office tenants unsuccessfully for years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 7:18 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Don't count out Brandt. They have huge office demands and with Westerra developing up to their borders it might finally force them downtown.
Brandt's main offices are at TCH and Tower Rd. The west side just has their manufacturing division.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 7:19 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
I thought the expansion/consolidation of SaskPower "operations activities" out at GTH would help resolve issues they may have downtown?
I don't believe that is a done deal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 7:20 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Move all 3 into a 50 storey mega-tower?

SaskTel head office doesn't have any major issues though as far as I'm aware. Some dated interior design, but structurally there aren't any concerns?
I am not aware of any structural issues. I expect there are business reasons. Rumour has it they have been doing preliminary tire kicking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 2:30 AM
BrutallyDishonest2 BrutallyDishonest2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I don't believe that is a done deal.
Well that land certainly is a done deal. They just keep pushing back construction. The current magical date is 2019.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 7:37 AM
blacktrojan3921's Avatar
blacktrojan3921 blacktrojan3921 is offline
Regina rhymes with fun!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 767
I think (like everyone else) the building will start construction once a major tenant comes on board. As for who's likely going to be that tenant, I have a few theories.

A major mining company that doesn't already have offices in Saskatoon
Brandt
A banking company
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 2:01 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Well that land certainly is a done deal. They just keep pushing back construction. The current magical date is 2019.
Quite telling isn't it. I think they announced in 2013.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 2:02 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
I think (like everyone else) the building will start construction once a major tenant comes on board. As for who's likely going to be that tenant, I have a few theories.

A major mining company that doesn't already have offices in Saskatoon
Brandt
A banking company
Good guesses, although Brandt has already announced they are in. Potash companies are all scaling back but that could change in a few years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #119  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 3:12 PM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pile 'O Bones
Posts: 12,155
Doubtful on banking. Banking has generally been shrinking offices so I don't think that's likely. I don't see this proposal going anywhere really. SGI would be the highest probability and we won't see any real news out of the government on anything until probably July and that is a fairly major announcement. I'm still hopeful, but I wouldn't count on it.
__________________

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #120  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 4:39 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Doubtful on banking. Banking has generally been shrinking offices so I don't think that's likely. I don't see this proposal going anywhere really. SGI would be the highest probability and we won't see any real news out of the government on anything until probably July and that is a fairly major announcement. I'm still hopeful, but I wouldn't count on it.
I think he is using "banking" in a broad sense.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.