HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 2:37 AM
BANNED

I much prefer this than the tower that replaced it...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/buses-...-Rrgi3N-RtWbcx

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 4:49 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
So cool seeing the Richardson rising in the background. Such a classic building.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 5:17 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 4:16 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 9:51 PM

Part of a 1919 plan showing the corner of Provencher and Tache. The Quebec Hotel later became the Tourist Hotel I think. Did not know there was also a CNR hotel just to the north. Rotated a 1928 aerial photo to match.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 10:26 PM

Sweet. So where can one view all these old plans and images. Historical society?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 11:14 PM

Manitoba Archives (north of the Legislature) has sets of the old fire insurance plans available to view, which is what the first one above is. You can't take them away - so you can either make a tracing or you can snap a pic on your phone (surreptitiously). I think there are bound volumes of these plans that people sometimes come across for sale as well. But Archives has a fairly complete set (various dates) for the City.

Air photos can be viewed at the Map Library on Century. They have microfiche cards that let you search flight lines by date, and you can pull the actual hard copy photo from their files and inspect it, but if you want it, you have to order a print or a scanned version. You have to pay for that.

I do get to see a lot of these under work circumstances, so I always keep an eye out for anything interesting and have managed to compile a nice set of historical air photos going back to 1928 for the downtown area.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 4:41 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 5:18 AM

always thought the northstar was built after 360 main! cool pic, thanks.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 1:44 PM
BANNED

No problem. I would take that any day over what we have.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
Manitoba Archives (north of the Legislature) has sets of the old fire insurance plans available to view, which is what the first one above is. You can't take them away - so you can either make a tracing or you can snap a pic on your phone (surreptitiously). I think there are bound volumes of these plans that people sometimes come across for sale as well. But Archives has a fairly complete set (various dates) for the City.
Volume 1 of the 1906 and revised version in 1914 are available at the link below as well as a very faded copy of the 1880 plan.

These things are fantastic for cross referencing with photos, both aerial and ground. Not only do they show the shapes of buildings, but also the number of stories and building materials.

http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_a...ec_nbr=3775505

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post

Anyone know when the rail bridge on the upper right part of this photo was removed? It almost looks like the track is already removed when this photo was taken.

Also, it's cool how the piers of the old Broadway Bridge are still visible years after it was removed.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Anyone know when the rail bridge on the upper right part of this photo was removed? It almost looks like the track is already removed when this photo was taken.

Also, it's cool how the piers of the old Broadway Bridge are still visible years after it was removed.
I'm not sure when it was removed, but you can actually still see evidence of its existence today on Aubert Street, just west of St. Joseph..

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 2:22 PM

It was gone by 1945, which is the next photo I have for that area. Most of the curved siding was removed as well.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 2:40 PM

So cool, love that stuff. Thanks for the info. And I'd have no problem if photos like this kept coming up every few days! haha

That project CN completed, removing the old line/bridge and constructing the new high line, huge project. Huge. Yuge dollar.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 2:46 PM

Looking at those great historic photos makes me wonder... considering its proximity to downtown Winnipeg, why did North St. B not evolve into a grander urban neighbourhood? At first I thought perhaps it was too flood-prone, but then Provencher and the areas to the south aren't much different and they were built up to a pretty nice standard.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 2:18 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Looking at those great historic photos makes me wonder... considering its proximity to downtown Winnipeg, why did North St. B not evolve into a grander urban neighbourhood? At first I thought perhaps it was too flood-prone, but then Provencher and the areas to the south aren't much different and they were built up to a pretty nice standard.
Two railways running through it wouldn't help.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 2:19 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
So cool, love that stuff. Thanks for the info. And I'd have no problem if photos like this kept coming up every few days!
Join the Manitoba Historical Society Facebook page -- lots of stuff like this on a daily basis.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 5:31 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post

I lived on the 23rd floor of Fort Gary Place overlooking the bridges until late 2003.

Dunno what those pilings are from, just south of the old St. Boniface bridge piers. Possibly they're from the first St. Boniface bridge, which was carried away by ice a couple days after it opened. Or they may be for upstream piers used to break up the ice before they hit the later bridge.

In any case, those pilings would reappear most years in early winter when water levels are low. The pilings for that removed rail bridge also regularly reappear.

I have pictures taken from a distance in 2003 if anyone wants them, but they're not too interesting. Plus construction pictures of the footbridge, which are a tad more interesting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan