HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
thanks. didn't recognize the name -- on boisedev, it's still listed as Whitewater Station.

was secretly hoping it was a new project that snuck by our prying eyes.
I did not know that was it's name either. I was searching the Net for info on that area and happened to come across the link.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 9:15 PM

The push to make Garden City great again moves forward in an amazing new project proposal by Las Vegas developer Michael Talbott. This is the type of riverside development I would love to see, creating a more public, welcoming blend between the river and urbanity. The river truly is Boise's oceanfront property, and this project appears well deserving of the name 'The Boardwalk'. The competitive element and different visions for the future starting to play out between Boise and Garden City is what will drive the entire metro area into a new era of prosperity and higher quality projects. But is the cost of losing auto repair, pawn shops, and mobile home meth labs worth it? Some Garden City residents don't think so.

‘Soul of our community’ not for sale:’ say those against proposed Garden City project
Quote:
For over a decade, Martin Evans has lived in a mobile home near the Boise River Greenbelt in Garden City. But now a proposed hotel and apartment complex there is threatening to cast a shadow over his neighborhood.

In October, Las Vegas developer Michael Talbott applied to Garden City to build the Boardwalk — a 7-acre development with two apartment buildings and a 9-story hotel that would be the city’s tallest building. The site, located between Veterans Memorial Parkway and 40th Street, is home to a handful of mobile homes and cottage houses. Evans’ home is next door.

“We have concerns about people in the mobile homes — what is going to happen to them?” he asked at a meeting of Garden City’s Design Review Committee this week.

Read more here: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 6:31 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

7 December | 50 degrees

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Dec 8, 2019 at 7:38 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 4:25 PM
All man. Half nuts.

nice shots ST! a lot of activity going on right now, especially on the east end and central addition.

looks like the vanguard may break ground soon, as well.

as for the boardwalk, I agree that this is the kind of project Garden City needs. it's a nice and thoughtful design emulating the bench topography, and would really give that area an economic boost.

perhaps Garden City will eventually become much more dense and, in a way, become Boise's second skyline. the Boardwalk would be a good start to that.

one thing about Garden City that bothers me, though, is that Chinden really hasn't changed much over the years. in a way, I wish they'd re-landscape the entire stretch of Chinden to honor the "Garden" in the city's name and pay homage to the history of the area as home of multiple Chinese Gardens and make that boulevard more than just an asphalt strip.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
one thing about Garden City that bothers me, though, is that Chinden really hasn't changed much over the years. in a way, I wish they'd re-landscape the entire stretch of Chinden to honor the "Garden" in the city's name and pay homage to the history of the area as home of multiple Chinese Gardens and make that boulevard more than just an asphalt strip.
Total agree with this. I drive Chinden everyday and the businesses that have added landscape to their Chinden border have really made a positive difference. There's a real opportunity here for Garden City to honor the history on the Chinden corridor

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 2:52 PM
All man. Half nuts.

the Winco project looks like it could begin construction in the spring. there's a story on the Idaho Press site.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
the Winco project looks like it could begin construction in the spring. there's a story on the Idaho Press site.

This one, right?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:05 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el conquistador View Post
This one, right?

yep.

they hope to be done by 2022. by then there will be 50,000 more people in the valley, so maybe they'll add a dozen or more floors to accommodate.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:50 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
yep.

they hope to be done by 2022. by then there will be 50,000 more people in the valley, so maybe they'll add a dozen or more floors to accommodate.
More Vanishing parking lots! Oh the horror, we should protest
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 8:14 PM
All man. Half nuts.

this is an interesting map created by the Ada County Strategic Planning Division.

you can view a larger size pdf here.

unless I'm reading it wrong, what's interesting to me is their estimate for Boise's 2019 population: 277,459.

that's far higher than any other estimate I've seen. the other city estimates are right in alignment with Census and COMPASS estimates.

their 2040 forecast for Ada County cities also seems about right from other estimates, however. combined with Canyon County estimates, it seems to a common opinion that the valley will top 1 million in the next 15 -18 years.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
this is an interesting map created by the Ada County Strategic Planning Division.

you can view a larger size pdf here.

unless I'm reading it wrong, what's interesting to me is their estimate for Boise's 2019 population: 277,459.

that's far higher than any other estimate I've seen. the other city estimates are right in alignment with Census and COMPASS estimates.

their 2040 forecast for Ada County cities also seems about right from other estimates, however. combined with Canyon County estimates, it seems to a common opinion that the valley will top 1 million in the next 15 -18 years.
I think its interesting how they've revised the projections for Kuna way upward and for Eagle and Star downward. Seems to be an expected shift of growth further and further south in the coming years.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 10:59 PM

And FWIW, barring a huge recession, I think all their estimates are low considering the massive influx of people.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 12:48 AM

My guess for the inflated Boise population in 2019 is that they posted the population of the impact boundary, which includes a significant population in the Southwest Ada County Alliance. There are numerous other issues, so it doesn't seem far fetched. It has Boise's population as the same in 2000 and 2010. In 2010, Kuna has two Impact Boundaries, one of which is contained within the other. In 2010, Eagle's city size appears to double, but the impact boundary remains the same. The Eagle estimates also seem exceptionally low considering that's one of the best places in the valley to live, and has decades long plans to add tens of thousands of people at a minimum, even if they are trying to scale back their plans, per https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...237803084.html

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:44 PM

https://idahonews.com/news/local/ana...te-home-buyers

Analysis: Boise is the #1 housing market attracting out-of-state home buyers

Quote:
The Study States: Idaho’s capital city has seen a boom in population over recent years, having nearly doubled in size since 1990. Many of the city’s newcomers are transplants from more expensive coastal cities. Boise is home to a mild four-season climate with a vibrant community that actively takes advantage of the area’s easy access to mountains, rivers, lakes and parks. A strong school system, thriving job market and top-notch healthcare draw a diverse crowd to Idaho’s capital. A favorable tax structure -- which includes relatively low sales and property tax and no state Social Security tax -- as well as relatively affordable housing has made this area popular for retirees as well as young professionals. Boise is no stranger to realtor.com’s Top Markets List, it was No. 8 in 2019.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:09 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTransplant View Post
I think its interesting how they've revised the projections for Kuna way upward and for Eagle and Star downward. Seems to be an expected shift of growth further and further south in the coming years.

that seems to be where it's trending. Eagle will continue to be the low-density, high-income community of large lots and mini ranches. they're even backing off development agreements they made years ago to keep from growing too quickly (i.e. Avimor).

meanwhile, Kuna is approving higher-density communities left and right. they're still surrounded by plenty of flat, cheap land to build on, so it's no surprise that developers are eager to build there.

my big concern regarding all the growth in the south is the lack of major transportation planning. right now they need to start building a southern interstate loop from Issac's Canyon out past Caldwell--similar to what Austin did with SH 130 that bypasses the city from north of Austin south to San Antonio.

but they'll probably ignore the need until it's too late.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 9:53 PM

IMO, Boise is its own "brand", even though we are often compared to our larger peers.

https://www.inc.com/magazine/202002/...ge-cities.html

Boise Set Out to Become the Next Austin or Seattle. Instead, It's On Track to Become the Next Silicon Valley

Long known for its cool vibe, the Idaho capital is challenging Seattle and Portland as a hotspot for entrepreneurs.

Quote:
Idaho's capital city has long been a hip and attractive place, given its rich music scene and proximity to nature. But it has routinely been ignored in favor of its cooler, and bigger, regional siblings, Seattle and Portland, Oregon. Today, though, Boise is luring talent from those northwestern giants and other costly coastal competitors, attracting entrepreneurs with a newly thriving business scene and a good quality of life. "Now there's a group of [business leaders] who are doing cool things and cele­brating one another," says Nick Crabbs, co-chair of Boise Startup Week and partner at Boise-based software and digital product development firm Vynyl. "That's the seed of change."

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 9:58 PM
All man. Half nuts.

looky what I found. possible new renderings (and design) for the 6th and grove proposal.

I like this much more than the original design (if it is, indeed, an update).

all images can be found on the Pivot North website.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 10:29 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Whole Foods/Winco proposal renderings I hadn't seen before, from KTVB:

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
looky what I found. possible new renderings (and design) for the 6th and grove proposal.

I like this much more than the original design (if it is, indeed, an update).

all images can be found on the Pivot North website.

These look nice.

CCDC is planning on extending The Basque Block to the east which would be in the alley between this building and the existing historic buildings on Main Street.

https://ccdcboise.com/wp-content/upl...INAL-PRINT.pdf

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 4:21 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Another parking lot is gonna vanish! evaporate▪

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West