HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 10:39 PM

Now if we can just get 1000 S going, Chicago's skyline will be changed forever.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 1:13 AM
Chicago

January 3, 2017

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 9:38 AM

Is that East-West University building going to continue unchanged as far as we know right now?

Last edited by denizen467; Jan 8, 2017 at 7:02 AM. Reason: comment criticizing a preceding post became irrelevant when moderators deleted that post

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 10:33 AM

I don't think the design is bad. The vertical columns on the north/south facades save it and remind me a bit of Inland Steel.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 1:23 PM

Doe's anyone have a link to the schedule of this project. Just wondering if the hotel rehab is going to shut down the whole hotel or if they are going to do a floor by floor type of thing? Also will that portion coincide with the tower portion or after the tower is finished?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 1:36 PM

"Is that East-West University building going to continue unchanged as far as we know right now? " ^^^^

I wouldnt be surprised that east/west wouldnt try to build something like Spertus did with the prime location in the next 10-20 years. Then again I have no idea about enrollement of east/west or their financial situation. It would be sick to see another Roosevelt U type of highrise along mich.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 1:43 PM
BANNED

When I Google Essex Inn and this pops up, I get so sad. Hopefully HPA re-introduces it somewhere else down the road...in Chicago of course.

Via Crains.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I don't think the design is bad. The vertical columns on the north/south facades save it and remind me a bit of Inland Steel.
I'd been thinking the same thing. I miss the original stilts, but prefer the new tower.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 3:38 PM
Ascension

I prefer the newer tower as well.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 5:54 PM

I prefer the current version as well - the stilts were a bit gimmicky.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
I prefer the current version as well - the stilts were a bit gimmicky.
I'll take a bit gimmicky over generic.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Doe's anyone have a link to the schedule of this project. Just wondering if the hotel rehab is going to shut down the whole hotel or if they are going to do a floor by floor type of thing? Also will that portion coincide with the tower portion or after the tower is finished?
The whole hotel will shut down for 8 months with the reopening of the hotel occurring about the same time as the tower opening.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 1:52 AM

I noticed that the Essex Inn is a landmark property.

I was wondering how the landmark designation works.

To me as a layman, the Essex Inn is a nice looking hotel from the 1960's, but doesn't look like something I would think would typically be landmarked.

I was wondering, is the main reason the Essex Inn is landmarked is because it's on Michigan Avenue across from Grant Park?

Or is the hotel landmarked because the city has an interest in seeing that architecture from the 1960's is preserved?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
I noticed that the Essex Inn is a landmark property.

I was wondering how the landmark designation works.

To me as a layman, the Essex Inn is a nice looking hotel from the 1960's, but doesn't look like something I would think would typically be landmarked.

I was wondering, is the main reason the Essex Inn is landmarked is because it's on Michigan Avenue across from Grant Park?

Or is the hotel landmarked because the city has an interest in seeing that architecture from the 1960's is preserved?
The developers asked for it to be landmarked as a part of the project and I'm sure they'll apply for tax credits.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
The developers asked for it to be landmarked as a part of the project and I'm sure they'll apply for tax credits.
Thanks for the info.

But I assume there are at least some standards for what can be approved as a landmark?

For instance , I hope it would not be possible for a McDonalds built in 2005 to be classified as a landmark

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
Thanks for the info.

But I assume there are at least some standards for what can be approved as a landmark?

For instance , I hope it would not be possible for a McDonalds built in 2005 to be classified as a landmark
Generally a building must be at least 50 years old in order to be considered for landmark status, though exceptions have been made for exceptional examples, such as with the Daley Center and Inland Steel Building. A building must also have high integrity, that is largely unaltered or easily restorable to it's original construction or period of significance. Those are the base lines to be eligible, but to be designated, building must also be shown to meet 2 of seven criteria: importance to city heritage, association with a significant event, association with an important person, important architecture movement, important architect, distinctive theme as a district, or unique visual features.

In the case of Essex, it qualified for designation as 1. an important work by architect A. Epstein and Sons, 2. as a postwar building within the existing Michigan Boulevard Landmark District (per a study that was conducted this summer to expand the period of significance for the district), and 3. as a highly intact example of the International Style (and fairly early example at that)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 3:55 PM
Urbane observer

Landmarks is interested in broadening its protection of midcentury modernism in Chicago, and extracted a promise to restore the existing hotel as they began discussions of approving the new building. On paper, it may look to BVictor1 like the owner requested the designation, but that's not my understanding of the actual dynamics of the negotiation.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:59 PM

Thanks for the info on landmarking, guys. Very interesting.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
https://twitter.com/ChicagoDPD/statu...82113774198786

You don't say...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 4:35 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Landmarks is interested in broadening its protection of midcentury modernism in Chicago, and extracted a promise to restore the existing hotel as they began discussions of approving the new building. On paper, it may look to BVictor1 like the owner requested the designation, but that's not my understanding of the actual dynamics of the negotiation.
Unfortunately it seems like much of the best midcentury modernism (outside of downtown) is located in bungalow belt areas that are unlikely to really appreciate modernism.

Even North Federal Savings and Loan at North/LaSalle ended up being rejected as a landmark, in part due to neighborhood opposition. This in a neighborhood full of prosperous, educated folks that shop at Crate and Barrel and Design Within Reach...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive