HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 10:15 AM

Free Press will have a story in Fridays paper that there was a study done for a new type of store

"The Crown corporation confirmed a request for proposal for a retail space consultant was issued in January of 2015. The RFP called for the consultant to study the "feasibility" of a new liquor mart concept called "Liquor Mart Occasions", a store that incorporates a liquor store, along with space devoted to specialty foods, a brewery, lotto tickets and a conference room available for rental or special promotions."

Sounds like what Cory had suggested might happen with the space in post #2081

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 3:29 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 3:43 PM

It isn't just me that has been hoping the LC would have related items like mix, ice, etc. which you commonly use with alcohol to better make it a one stop shop. You might not need 50,000 to pull it off but it is worth noting the 15,000 sq ft flagship at Grant Park does not have the bottle and cork wine section or the expanded product offerings. Those would need extra space. If they planned to expand their class based offerings that too would bump space up.

I honestly believe there was more of a plan in place than is being portrayed by the media but it might have lacked a detailed cost-benefit analysis to determine that it would make money.

Edit: As a point of reference though, a large US multi-location alcohol retailer lists their largest store as being 12,000 sq ft putting it in line with the Grant Park store. Wine and Beyond in Edmonton seems to be western Canada's largest at 20,000 sq ft, LCBO seems to have a 31,000 sq ft store and DaveCo in Denver holds the Guinness World Record as the largest liquor store at just over 100,000 sq ft.

Last edited by CoryB; Nov 18, 2016 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 4:33 PM

Well then, if they were gonna make a statement they might as well have tried to compete with DaveCO at least!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I honestly believe there was more of a plan in place than is being portrayed by the media but it might have lacked a detailed cost-benefit analysis to determine that it would make money.
I would have a hard time believing there wasn't a plan in place. But since it's politically expedient for the new government and new CEO to throw the old regime under the bus without explaining the whole story, that's what we're getting.

What's irritating is that the Tories will probably now make the situation worse by incurring who knows what kinds of additional costs to back out of the two MLLC Graham Ave projects (Medical Arts Bldg and TN Square).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 5:19 PM

RE : Flagship Liquor Store...@ TNS
Well, Ron Schuller is a crybaby and does not even live within Winnipeg city limits.
He stirred up a hornets nest and did not check facts before he spoke yet once again.
These non Winnipeg residents annoy me making comments abut downtown when they do not live there nor in Winnipeg proper.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Free Press will have a story in Fridays paper that there was a study done for a new type of store

"The Crown corporation confirmed a request for proposal for a retail space consultant was issued in January of 2015. The RFP called for the consultant to study the "feasibility" of a new liquor mart concept called "Liquor Mart Occasions", a store that incorporates a liquor store, along with space devoted to specialty foods, a brewery, lotto tickets and a conference room available for rental or special promotions."

Sounds like what Cory had suggested might happen with the space in post #2081
Yes, the FP story today discusses the fact there was a study and the idea came from Liquor and Lotteries. The appropriately named Peter "Hak" neglected to mention that when he appeared before the legislative committee - of course, he was sitting next to hard ass political appointee Polly Craik, so he probably feared for his job.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...401798415.html

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
I'm not sure how you get to be MLL CEO when your background is in health services. But NDP made A LOT of appointments where clearly the only deciding factor was the person's ties to the party.

I'm not sure how great an idea of a 50,000 sq ft store downtown is, especially if they close ellice and citiplace. It will displace those crowds to that location and I'm not sure that's what TN wants.

Regardless of how bad this decision may or may not be, going public before talking to TN to resolve it is also a pretty bad business decision.
Among major corporations, some are simply great at leading companies. The CEO or Ford Motor Co could very well have been CEO of Hewlett Packard prior to that.

But that's among established elite in the coroporate world. Like, the geniuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
A CEO is a CEO is a CEO. They make business decisions based on numbers. If you are a CEO and want to be hands on, you're not a CEO. IMO anyways.

Just like salesmen. You make a pitch to sell a product, regardless if you believe in it or not.
Actually, this I disagree with. A CEO is a guy who knows how to steer the ship, crunch the numbers, read the market, and BAM when he shows up on the assembly line it turns out he can literally teach those on the product lines how to build better.

A true CEO is an absolute expert in his field, aiding in understanding market and numbers based decisions much better since they KNOW how the sausage gets made.

Contrary to my example above, Automotive execs typically come from within the ranks or from other automotive companies. In certain industries, the CEO skill set carry-over alone is not enough. A car company needs a car guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I love it when we have Skyscraper love matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Well, Ron Schuller is a crybaby and does not even live within Winnipeg city limits.
He stirred up a hornets nest and did not check facts before he spoke yet once again.
These non Winnipeg residents annoy me making comments abut downtown when they do not live there nor in Winnipeg proper.
Ehhh, I'm a fan of Ron. He's a pitbull, but he's a good guy. Don't always agree with him but he sticks to his guns, and he's actually a conservative, not a flaky convenient con.

Also, SO WHAT if he lives outside the city? He's with the provincial government! He happens to work downtown. Did we just get elitist about this?

I live juuuust outside the city limits. I work downtown. I can guarantee you that my work and my livelihood is infinitely more dependent on Winnipeg than my municipality.

Lol, "Winnipeg proper".

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 8:42 PM

Yes, CEO's are business people. They read numbers THAT ARE GIVEN TO THEM. You don't have to be an expert on computers to be CEO of a computer company. You have experts below you, advisors, who are experts. This is like the PM or president. They aren't experts in mlitary, finance, etc, etc. They have advisors who tell them things to make the best decision for the country. Everyone calls the Trump the next chief executive. That's how I see it anyways. Off topic here.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, CEO's are business people. They read numbers THAT ARE GIVEN TO THEM. You don't have to be an expert on computers to be CEO of a computer company. You have experts below you, advisors, who are experts. This is like the PM or president. They aren't experts in mlitary, finance, etc, etc. They have advisors who tell them things to make the best decision for the country. Everyone calls the Trump the next chief executive. That's how I see it anyways. Off topic here.
Ok, I'll clear it up.

I know some CEOs. Good ones. They run their shit and they run it well. They have experts below them, but happen to know more than them. Yea, they don't know everything, because a lot of companies have legal and engineering departments and few CEOs have both of that... those may be some exceptions

CEOs right down to even low level managers all read numbers given to them. Something given to them does not preclude them from being experts who can grab the bull by the horns and make something happen.

However, in the very post you are responding to I mentioned that you don't have to be an expert of X to be CEO of Company X. I'm saying, however, that a lot of great CEOs know more about what their company is doing and are more hands on than you're alluding to.

That's been my experience for with the CEOs I know as well as those I've worked for.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 11:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I've met Ron and he's a stand-up guy, he used to live in Winnipeg and now he doesn't, big deal, he represents the riding of St. Paul which encompasses the RM's of East St. Paul, West St. Paul, and includes Oakbank, and Dugald. Why would he live in Winnipeg?

Schuler knows as much or more about Winnipeg and it's downtown than anyone on this forum!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
The head of the Downtown Biz doesn't live in "Winnipeg proper" either...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 1:28 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I've met Ron and he's a stand-up guy, he used to live in Winnipeg and now he doesn't, big deal, he represents the riding of St. Paul which encompasses the RM's of East St. Paul, West St. Paul, and includes Oakbank, and Dugald. Why would he live in Winnipeg?

Schuler knows as much or more about Winnipeg and it's downtown than anyone on this forum!
He's the only student government type from my years at U of M that I can think of who actually ended up in a political career. He was actually one of the more tolerable ones (along with me, of course, although I was quite marginal to the whole operation).

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 1:44 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Yes, the FP story today discusses the fact there was a study and the idea came from Liquor and Lotteries. The appropriately named Peter "Hak" neglected to mention that when he appeared before the legislative committee - of course, he was sitting next to hard ass political appointee Polly Craik, so he probably feared for his job.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...401798415.html
I'm not sure that a study about a "concept" such as selling a few other types of goods in the stores is a substitute for a proper analysis of the economics of opening what would apparently be Canada's largest liquor store (by more than 50%!) in a location that can only be described as "risky". It's the size and the location that are the issue, not so much the product lines or design of the store.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 7:15 PM

To me, I'd much rather see three 15,000 sq foot stores spread throughout downtown. We have to LCs downtown right now and for some reason they're 2 blocks away from each other... on the SAME STREET. Have one somewhere southwest, where South Broadway/Assiniboine residnents can have, maybe one somewhere on the east end of graham (or keep cityplace) and one in the Exchange. That being said, I don't really have too much of an issue with the TNS idea, although we really don't know much about it.

The biggest thing to me though still is that the Exchange desperately needs a liquor/wine store; this doesn't solve that issue. The Ellice one can serve West Exchange residents OK, but if you're living on Waterfront it YouCube, H20, or lots of the lofts in Northeast Exchange, it's a bit of a hike.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I'm not sure that a study about a "concept" such as selling a few other types of goods in the stores is a substitute for a proper analysis of the economics of opening what would apparently be Canada's largest liquor store (by more than 50%!) in a location that can only be described as "risky". It's the size and the location that are the issue, not so much the product lines or design of the store.
see Dan Lett's column and my post in the construction thread - there was a "robust" analysis and business plan. Pallister and his Harperite aides made the whole thing up. But hey, Trump did the same thing in the states and he became president.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post

You really are hilarious.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 6:06 PM

Quote:
see Dan Lett's column and my post in the construction thread - there was a "robust" analysis and business plan. Pallister and his Harperite aides made the whole thing up. But hey, Trump did the same thing in the states and he became president.
Quote:
You really are hilarious.
I dunno, everyone on this site who has met him seems to like him and has the impression he knows what he's doing.

But hey with the previous post quoted above I'm not sure we're surprised by your reaction

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 6:14 PM

Clearly people are brainwashed that Pallister is somehow going to change the Province in a glorious manner. He's just a guy who is doing nothing but pointing fingers. He's not doing anything. It's like the Americans and Trump. Somehow oh glorious Donald will change America to "make it great again". When in reality, he's a boob who is now back tracking on all his little election comments. Because he never actually put anything of substance together, just throws stones at Clinton. Pallister is not much different, except for all the racist stuff. Just saying "loooook, look NDP."

Pallister will reign in wages and cut all the fat from government. Okay, that's a good start. I'll give him that.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Clearly people are brainwashed that Pallister is somehow going to change the Province in a glorious manner. He's just a guy who is doing nothing but pointing fingers. He's not doing anything. It's like the Americans and Trump. Somehow oh glorious Donald will change America to "make it great again". When in reality, he's a boob who is now back tracking on all his little election comments. Because he never actually put anything of substance together, just throws stones at Clinton. Pallister is not much different, except for all the racist stuff. Just saying "loooook, look NDP."

Pallister will reign in wages and cut all the fat from government. Okay, that's a good start. I'll give him that.
Seriously, what's with everyone being so butthurt by the mere presence of a conservative government.

I don't think anyone think Pallister is going to do much. He never said he would. It would be a major relief to simply stop doing NDP things, which is why he got elected, and which is what you haven't acknowledged in your posts: "looook NDP" is a valid argument when you truly don't want your province to do NDP stuff. Like raise PST, gas tax, property tax, etc..

Even Trump (I'm no trump fan). Everyone who voted for him didn't vote just for his promises or racism. They voted for him because they felt that modern American liberalism and social justice agendas not only ignored them, but talked down to them, lambasted them, insulted them. Simply because they were considered the status quo, and thus offendable/expendable, by mere colour of their skin, nature of their work, and location in America's heartland. Insult to injury, the american rural middle class was dying slowly while being lambasted, etc... That and Hillary was a hilariously bad candidate as well.

They all said: "Hold on, we can still vote on this. And I say we vote for the biggest middle finger we can find".

And they did.

Manitoba simply voted for the biggest non-dipper they could find. Why are we surprised?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan