HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I predict, if anything, that Winnipeg will see a lot more river-side residential high-rises in the Osborne area leading up to the Forks. I predict that it will be mostly mid-rise but there will be some high-rise riverfront gems.
Good prediction. A lot of our multi family residential stock is a bit older now, and I could see there being more demand for newer buildings with modern amenities. Maybe not enough for dozens and dozens of new highrises, but certainly a good handful to accommodate those willing to pay for quality rentals and to a lesser extent, condos.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I'd really like to see something new go up on Broadway. It's baffling to me that with all the action downtown, there hasn't been a single new development on Broadway in years (probably CU Central was last). It's a great street, and there's lots of empty surface lots to fill.
That is a real head scratcher, especially considering that many buildings along the street have been renovated and improved over the last decade, and the surrounding blocks have seen a bit of development too. Broadway really hasn't changed in the last 25 years which is amazing... there is a lot of untapped potential.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I predict, if anything, that Winnipeg will see a lot more river-side residential high-rises in the Osborne area leading up to the Forks. I predict that it will be mostly mid-rise but there will be some high-rise riverfront gems.
With the height restrictions in Osborne that won’t happen.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That is a real head scratcher, especially considering that many buildings along the street have been renovated and improved over the last decade, and the surrounding blocks have seen a bit of development too. Broadway really hasn't changed in the last 25 years which is amazing... there is a lot of untapped potential.
Yeah,, Broadway has 6 surface parking lots and several walkup apartment buildings that could be developed. Its a good area to live,, River Walk, Osborne, The Forks and most of downtown within 10min walk. No sleazy hotels, most other buildings are well maintained.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 11:22 PM

Stradbrook?

That's the trend in major cities... proximity to major rapid transit routes. If our transit ever gets going (and our downtown successful enough to force people to look to less central areas) then those locations become options.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I will respectfully have to disagree with you on this one. I'm not talking new tallest every year but lots of proposals in the pipeline.
Beautiful

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 4:54 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I'd rather see movement on the skycity lot, the one between it and winnipeg square, and then also east of Portage and 416 main. I'm sure that eventually the area around the convention centre will fill up but it would be really nice if the major routes could fill in. Oh and maybe then if Broadway were to have its missing teeth filled in.

That's considered the "old" Dominion Motors (car sales) site.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 7:01 AM
Back from the dead

Actually, they should turn Portage Place into offices and a food court and build out the pads. That's where I'd start but I guess this isn't a fantasy "what would you do if you had the money" thread. On the other hand, it's not clear to me why that hasn't already been done (building on the pads, I mean) We've already shown that the units will sell and half the work is already done anyway. What's the issue?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Actually, they should turn Portage Place into offices and a food court and build out the pads. That's where I'd start but I guess this isn't a fantasy "what would you do if you had the money" thread. On the other hand, it's not clear to me why that hasn't already been done (building on the pads, I mean) We've already shown that the units will sell and half the work is already done anyway. What's the issue?
Good point. Portage Place used to be on the fringes somewhat of the local office market, but with all the action in the SHED and neighbouring properties like Newport Center starting to improve to take advantage of that dynamic, maybe Portage Place's time will come. That said, Portage Place is not really an address soaked in prestige, so it could be a tough sell for anything beyond lower grade uses.

Are there any other unbuilt pad sites with foundations in place left downtown besides Portage Place?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
From what I recall reading a few years ago there was interest in building on the pads but they wanted control over the parkade which FNP wouldn't relinquish.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 3:02 PM

Quote:

I think the fact that nobody is building high rises over Portage Place has more to do with that mall being a cesspool of violent criminals and drug dealers. Nobody would want to live there, I know I wouldn't.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 3:20 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Are there any other unbuilt pad sites with foundations in place left downtown besides Portage Place?
Not sure about other pad sites, but there are a few older buildings that were planned for extra floors that never materialized.

Most prominently the Currie Building.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 4:13 PM

I would love to see a tower rise out the middle of the Currie Building. Whatever the foundation can support. I would be concerned though that what is was designed for way back when is inadequate for todays building codes.

I miss all the old marquee type lighting that was downtown..

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 4:20 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I miss all the old marquee type lighting that was downtown..
They had some pretty neat lighting back then... lots of the stuff now just seems cheap and inconsistent

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 4:39 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Parking I think
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 9:12 PM

Access to parking is the #1, #2 and #3 issue with developing the Portage Place pad sites. A lead tenant of a new office tower is going to be demanding parking spaces and Portage Place can't secure those. Similar issue with a new residential tower, condo buyers want to buy a parking spot and renters want easy access to a rental space with their apartment.

Until FNP is willing to see the Portage Place parkade to the owner of the building it is doubtful anything will happen there. And further still residential is not what is needed as we don't need a Place Promenade expansion.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlemer View Post
I think the fact that nobody is building high rises over Portage Place has more to do with that mall being a cesspool of violent criminals and drug dealers. Nobody would want to live there, I know I wouldn't.
They don't seem to hang around Winnipeg Square. I wonder why they're so attracted to Portage Place? It would be great if someone could figure out a way to get rid of them.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
They don't seem to hang around Winnipeg Square. I wonder why they're so attracted to Portage Place? It would be great if someone could figure out a way to get rid of them.
Quest Inn, Liquor Store, Marlborough Hotel now that the St. Regis is out.

Meth, opioids, Percocet, any other drugs. That's what's going on behind Portage Place. Go have a look. It's all out in the open.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Meth, opioids, Percocet, any other drugs. That's what's going on behind Portage Place. Go have a look. It's all out in the open.
It really pisses me off that the police budget has nearly doubled in the last 15 years and they can't even bother to deal with guys blatantly selling drugs everyday in the same spot 3 blocks from their headquarters. Roll a van over there once a week and toss em all in ffs. What are we paying them for?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
It really pisses me off that the police budget has nearly doubled in the last 15 years and they can't even bother to deal with guys blatantly selling drugs everyday in the same spot 3 blocks from their headquarters. Roll a van over there once a week and toss em all in ffs. What are we paying them for?
I would also love to hear a statement from WPS on this, if possible. It's extremely unlikely they don't know what's happening there, so there must be some reason or reasons they don't seem to enforce more stringently.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan